To Sway or NOT to Sway... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

Florida
To Sway or NOT to Sway...

Everytime a semi comes up on my side, I need to fight to keep me from being sucked into his stream. I've tried to do some research on this and have found nothing. So now, turn to the experience here. Is there a sway device that will hold firm when they attempt to move me too close to them? If I'm not diligent and keep an eye out, one will sneak up on my left side without me knowing it. I definitely don't want to over react or over correct since that will cause many more issues.

I'm not feeling the trailer sway any at all but just being sucked into the vortex. If I see them coming, I can adjust.

As a refresher, my TV is a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins and the TT is a 37' 2016 Dutchmen Denali - usually hauling between 65 and 70 mph. We're going to upgrade to a 5th wheel and go full timing after we sell the brick and mortar here in Tampa maybe later this year but does that have the same issues?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

Wyoming
My first inclination is to say it's a simple matter of mass... but I realize that may be too simplistic.

The laws of physics say that no matter what... there will always be some degree of "pull" when 2 large, high-walled vehicles pass... even 2 semi trucks. The amount of air being 'squeezed' between the 2 creates an automatic venturi (vacuum) effect that can't help but act upon each vehicle.

As such, it seems only natural that the vehicle with less mass will feel the effect more than the other. And, the greater the difference between the mass, the greater the effect. You don't notice it nearly as much when not towing because without the high-walled trailers, the air has other 'outlets', and the effect is minimal.

All of that said... even with my heavy F-450 dually pulling my 16,500 lb 5th wheel (approximately 26,000 lbs combined), I feel it some... but never so much that it concerns or bothers me. Not only is the mass differential much less than a light truck & trailer... but the stability of the dual rear wheels keeps me pretty much rock solid.

Maybe someone else can provide a better scientific explanation... but that's about the best I can do.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

California
I just drove from California to Dallas and most of the time had no problem due to the anti-sway bar on my WDH. However, there will still be times you feel it based upon the wind conditions and/or how fast they pass you.

The main problem in my mind is that they always want to pass, even when we are going the same speed!

Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
My first inclination is to say it's a simple matter of mass... but I realize that may be too simplistic.

The laws of physics say that no matter what... there will always be some degree of "pull" when 2 large, high-walled vehicles pass... even 2 semi trucks. The amount of air being 'squeezed' between the 2 creates an automatic venturi (vacuum) effect that can't help but act upon each vehicle.

As such, it seems only natural that the vehicle with less mass will feel the effect more than the other. And, the greater the difference between the mass, the greater the effect. You don't notice it nearly as much when not towing because without the high-walled trailers, the air has other 'outlets', and the effect is minimal.

All of that said... even with my heavy F-450 dually pulling my 16,500 lb 5th wheel (approximately 26,000 lbs combined), I feel it some... but never so much that it concerns or bothers me. Not only is the mass differential much less than a light truck & trailer... but the stability of the dual rear wheels keeps me pretty much rock solid.

Maybe someone else can provide a better scientific explanation... but that's about the best I can do.
Very good explanation all I will add is that the difference is night and day when go to a 5th wheel I use to have the same problem with our 36ft TT now have 40ft 5th wheel and cant hardly tell when a rig passes
scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I just drove from California to Dallas and most of the time had no problem due to the anti-sway bar on my WDH. However, there will still be times you feel it based upon the wind conditions and/or how fast they pass you.

The main problem in my mind is that they always want to pass, even when we are going the same speed!

I guess that's what I'm trying to find out... if a sway bar helps or not. My truck has anti sway built into it so I don't think there would be an issue there. just wondering if an anti sway bar in addition to the wdh would work.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I guess that's what I'm trying to find out... if a sway bar helps or not. My truck has anti sway built into it so I don't think there would be an issue there. just wondering if an anti sway bar in addition to the wdh would work.

Curious? What built in anti-sway is in your truck?? Are you referring to suspension Anti-sway bars?? Not sure that helps much with trailer towing.

Our TT/TV combination is much smaller but the Equal-i-zer anti sway does help a lot.

With the biggest 18 wheel rigs begin to pass me I can just barely feel the trailer sway. The biggest "tug" happens when their front bumper passes my front bumper. Not bad and not enough to be an issue.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #7

California
I don’t think anti sway will help in this instance. As others have stated the larger trailer will create the effect. The sway bar or anti-sway bar is supposed to help with the side to side movement a trailer can experience but not so much with the constant force.

I also agree with those that say it is not as bad with a fifth wheel. My last trailer was a 30 foot bumper tow TH and it was susceptible to the big rigs but my 40’ fifth wheel is much less. Might be because it is longer, taller and heavier or might be the fact it connects in the bed but regardless I don’t think about it very much anymore.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
That's meant for when you are almost out of control, the truck will pulse the brakes to help you straighten out, it isn't doing anything when a semi nudges you over.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post

Curious? What built in anti-sway is in your truck?? Are you referring to suspension Anti-sway bars?? Not sure that helps much with trailer towing.

Our TT/TV combination is much smaller but the Equal-i-zer anti sway does help a lot.

With the biggest 18 wheel rigs begin to pass me I can just barely feel the trailer sway. The biggest "tug" happens when their front bumper passes my front bumper. Not bad and not enough to be an issue.

Good luck.
The built in sway control is reactive, if the truck senses sway and it applies brakes where needed.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #10

Arizona
Get a 5th wheel and your troubles will be over.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 AM   #11

Texas
I have that exact combination but 2017 models. XD with Cummins, Denali 287RE. I have a Blue Ox SwayPro hitch with 1500# bars, it is awesome. I experience no suck/spit when an eighteen wheeler passes and zero issues in a cross wind. Despite the beast behind me, it is a nice towing experience. The old Equalizer with Sway control I had with a 33' trailer and a Ford Excursion sucked and was very noisy.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
The built in sway control is reactive, if the truck senses sway and it applies brakes where needed.

Ok thanks. Nice option. Never heard of that before. Learn something almost every day. Unfortunately I forget something every day
Old 07-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Ok thanks. Nice option. Never heard of that before. Learn something almost every day. Unfortunately I forget something every day
You learn something false everyday on the internet. Factory "sway control" does nothing for RV's, until it's too late
Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #14

Texas
Sometimes the TV and the hitch sway control don't play nicely together.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Get a 5th wheel and your troubles will be over.
...someday!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #16

Texas
Blue Ox SwayPro is much cheaper than a 5ver.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:51 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
Blue Ox SwayPro is much cheaper than a 5ver.
but will it help in this instance and for this problem? That's what I am attempting to determine.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:00 AM   #18

Florida
Quote:
I have that exact combination but 2017 models. XD with Cummins, Denali 287RE. I have a Blue Ox SwayPro hitch with 1500# bars, it is awesome. I experience no suck/spit when an eighteen wheeler passes and zero issues in a cross wind. Despite the beast behind me, it is a nice towing experience. The old Equalizer with Sway control I had with a 33' trailer and a Ford Excursion sucked and was very noisy.
Nice to see what your setup is. I'm open to getting the hitch if it will help. I bought the WDH that Nissan had recommended. I think it may be a little light for the "beast" we haul. Have you added the 50 gal tank to your nissan?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 AM   #19

Texas
Quote:
Nice to see what your setup is. I'm open to getting the hitch if it will help. I bought the WDH that Nissan had recommended. I think it may be a little light for the "beast" we haul. Have you added the 50 gal tank to your nissan?
Don't know what your current hitch is, I do know what the SwayPro does for me. My opinion, it is great, won't ever buy another hitch. Got a good deal on it from eTrailer, I purchased the 15,000# model with the 1,500# bars and added a B&W 30,000# ball for the head assembly. I got the 11 hole drop shank, the 9 hole would have been the better choice. The only thing I didn't like was the supplied tool for setting the bars. A 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar with 1" socket works much better. Installed it myself, set the ball one inch higher than the trailer coupler with everything level. Chain is set on the 10th link when towing.

Haven't added an auxiliary tank, sure would be handy though. Do you have one?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Don't know what your current hitch is, I do know what the SwayPro does for me. My opinion, it is great, won't ever buy another hitch. Got a good deal on it from eTrailer, I purchased the 15,000# model with the 1,500# bars and added a B&W 30,000# ball for the head assembly. I got the 11 hole drop shank, the 9 hole would have been the better choice. The only thing I didn't like was the supplied tool for setting the bars. A 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar with 1" socket works much better. Installed it myself, set the ball one inch higher than the trailer coupler with everything level. Chain is set on the 10th link when towing.

Haven't added an auxiliary tank, sure would be handy though. Do you have one?
No I do not have anything but the standard fuel tank which is too anemic for long trips. I dislike the fact that I have to hunt fuel so much because of the length of the trailer and getting it in and out.

I like the RV but wish it had a few things that would make it more comfortable. Auto leveling would be nice (5th wheel envy), true all weather, 2nd AC, little more outside storage, etc. The truck hauls it like a dream but I still have a little "puckering" when I get passed by an aggressive tractor trailer and caught by surprise. I like the mileage of the truck when I'm towing also but just hate the size of the fuel tank.