Tires...Recomendations - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #1

Utah
Tires...Recomendations

Hello All...

I'm in the process of upgrading my tires this year on my 2012, 25 Foot Aerolite...

It currently is running ST205/75R14's...

My buddy is telling me that I should get rid of the 14's and buy some 15 inch rims and put larger tires with higher load range...I'm currently at C. Even if I go to D, those are only 8 ply tires.

He's suggesting I move to 15 inch rims and load range E.

Any suggestions or recommendations on if I should go up to the 15's...and what tires have worked out the best for you all?

Thank you.

51phiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:24 AM   #2

Arizona
Load rating has nothing to do with anything. It's the quality of the tires. Do not use any ST tire made in China, they're a damaged trailer waiting to happen. Instead get the Good Year Endurance tires. They're made in America and have a good track record.

I recommend and use truck tires on my trailer but I don't think there are 14" truck tires available.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:19 AM   #3

California
Need to weigh you rig fully loaded to make sure the tires will carry the load. I personally will not use any china made tires. Have put Goodyear Endurance on mine, and did stay with the same size are yours as the tires would carry to load with no problem. Plus US made and track excellent.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #4

California
+1 on weighing your rig and knowing the weight your tires will need to support.

In my experience many truck tires despite being better quality than trailer tires do not have the rated load capacity of the original trailer tires. My Voltage came with Westlake’s which despite their American sounding names are Chinese. I was towing on the freeway at a constant 60 or so when I heard a loud bang. It sounded like someone threw a metal filing cabinet against my trailer. But as I was towing straight at a constant speed and I have a two axle trailer I didn’t notice anything by feel. I pulled over anyway and the sidewall of the tire was destroyed. Luckily nothing delaminated (probably because it went flat so fast or maybe because I pulled over so fast). My tire pressure monitors were of no help because the tire went from 85 psi to 0 instantly. It is certainly possible I got a puncture but I doubt it.

Long story short, I wanted to go with American made truck tires but the I was not able to find any the 3,500 pound weight capacity my heavy, 2 axle trailer requires. If I had a 3 axle or a light trailer then it might have been different but no luck. Fortunately, the Goodyear Endurance exceeded the specs and I bought those and replaced all 4. More expensive than just about any trailer tire out there as well as truck tires but well worth it in my opinion.

I feel much safer now and they also have a much higher speed rating than my old ones which gives me comfort too.

Keep in mind a bad blowout can do thousands of dollars in damage to your rig and even cause a fire by ripping out wires, etc.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #5

Arizona
I have run Carlisle tires on my cargo trailers and my Dutchmen with absolutely no issues for many years.They have never failed me. I do run the TST TPMS system as well. I went from 14" to 15" and while I do not regret it, I don't know if I would do it again. There is only about 2" of clearance between the tire and the top of the wheel well and I can see a couple of marks where the tires have rubbed. Hope you find what you need.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:26 AM   #6

Nebraska
I watched a u tube vid about tire safety today and they talked about TPMS’s, pressure and etc. He upgraded his tires to a G rating but he also pulls a 40+, 3 axle 5th wheel.
LorieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #7

Nevada
RE Tires

This past summer, during the return trip from MT back to Tahoe I experienced a double blowout on the right side of my Kodiak 253 trailer. We were cruzing at freeway speed (60-65) when a semi passed us and wind blast moved us to the right for just moment onto the rumble strip when BOOM the front tire blew then seconds later the rear. I slowed immediately, moved to shoulder to stop and inspect the damage. The rt front trailer wheel was toast, tire gone except for bead and the rear tire shreded but wheel ok. These were stock tires that came with the trailer (cheap Chinese). Good Sam roadside assistance came to the rescue and we were back on the road headed home (very slowly) in a couple hours.
Fortunately no significant damage occurred but it could have been a disaster. I was appalled that Dutchman would send out a product with such low-grade tires! They are not safe for the use intended!
So if you have stock tires, change them out ASAP or risk disaster.
CHtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #8

Florida
someone on this site (not saying any names) would find some reason to disagree with you. Congrats on NO DAMAGE! It's NOT keystone or Dutchmen since they get the frames from LCI and they come with the wheels from there. Most of us here have changed the original tires for something more fitting (usually Goodyear's).

Safe travels in your future and welcome to the forum!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:38 AM   #9

Texas
Tires

I have a 2016 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-lite. It came with ST205/75R14's. Last year we replace all of the tires with ST205/75R 15's, they are all Carlisle even the spare. I know these are rated for up to 80mph but I still keep it between 65-70 mph. It was the best thing for my trailer. We get better gas mileage and it pulls better.
BigRedGrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51phiveoh View Post
Hello All...

I'm in the process of upgrading my tires this year on my 2012, 25 Foot Aerolite...

It currently is running ST205/75R14's...

My buddy is telling me that I should get rid of the 14's and buy some 15 inch rims and put larger tires with higher load range...I'm currently at C. Even if I go to D, those are only 8 ply tires.

He's suggesting I move to 15 inch rims and load range E.

Any suggestions or recommendations on if I should go up to the 15's...and what tires have worked out the best for you all?

Thank you.

Did you read and understand THIS post?
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #11

Texas
I did it last year in the spring and no regrets through the year. Pulled better. Go for it.
BigRedGrandPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #12

Arizona
Upgrading to a G rated tire is a waste of money if the tire is made in China. Most 2 axle trailers can't have the reduced load rating of an E rated truck tire so upgrading to a truck G rated tire is in order. Otherwise an E rated truck tire is perfect for a triple axle trailer. Bottom line is to stay far away from anything made in China.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote