Tire Issues? Interesting Slant on the Subject... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

Wyoming
Tire Issues? Interesting Slant on the Subject...

The link below is something I saw on another forum today... and the author makes a good point. Just thought I'd share it here.

RV Tire Safety: Unhappy with the quality of the tires on your RV?

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

Nevada
Tom,
Great information....Wish I would have done that before I changed to better tires, I have the S/N on this set....

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Arizona
Recording serial numbers ahead of time is a good idea. I thought, when we bought our tires, that the numbers were recorded on the paperwork. Used to be that way but I just checked mine for the Voltage and truck and there are no numbers recorded. But then, knock on wood, I run LT's and aren't expecting any tire trouble. Still, I'll get out there and record the numbers just to have them.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Recording serial numbers ahead of time is a good idea. I thought, when we bought our tires, that the numbers were recorded on the paperwork. Used to be that way but I just checked mine for the Voltage and truck and there are no numbers recorded. But then, knock on wood, I run LT's and aren't expecting any tire trouble. Still, I'll get out there and record the numbers just to have them.
use your cell phone and take a picture of each tire, It will also reflect the date as part of the picture.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 AM   #5

I will never buy another ST tire or tire of the side and load that came with my RV. It seems to me the tires are just marginal to hold the weight and normal sway not to mention the twisting and turning when making sharp turns forward and reverse.
After several blowouts i trashed my ST tires E rated 16 inch tires and bought 17.5 J rated tires.. No problems now.. no blowouts and rated at 75mph.. a small investment but E rated tires just could not handle the loads and heat.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:20 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I read an article awhile back, I can't recall if it was the NHTSA or the RMA, but there was mention of a requirement for the dealer to record serial numbers on the bill of sale. This is required so the manufacturer can send out recall notices in the event of a defect.

Ever since I first heard the term "China Bomb" I have been looking for complaints on tires to NHTSA's web site, they are few and far between.

Perhaps if more of us lodged complaints, rather than just "fix" the problem, we would be getting better tires on our campers.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I will never buy another ST tire or tire of the side and load that came with my RV. It seems to me the tires are just marginal to hold the weight and normal sway not to mention the twisting and turning when making sharp turns forward and reverse.
After several blowouts i trashed my ST tires E rated 16 inch tires and bought 17.5 J rated tires.. No problems now.. no blowouts and rated at 75mph.. a small investment but E rated tires just could not handle the loads and heat.
That's true, the E rated tires on a double axle trailer are usually at their max and moving up to the J's are a necessity. There's more leeway for the triple axles out there because they are nowhere near maxed out. Each LT truck tire on my triple axle only has to carry 2600 pounds when the trailer is maxed out at 19,000 pounds; well under the 3042 load rating of the standard E rated LT.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:18 AM   #8

North Carolina
All ST tires will blow out if not diligently cared for. Make sure they aren't sitting on dealer lot for months before purchase. After that always keep clean and dry. Cover with tire covers when not in use. Also, when not on a trip just use a bottle jack and place blocks of wood under the axles on both ends to keep tires off the ground. Just make sure to have blocking as close as possible to leaf shackles as possible. Will last a lot longer...and less stress on road. Drive 50-60 mph to be safe, and always inflated to proper air pressure. Happy travels !

gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote