Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspensions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

Colorado
Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspensions

Anyone ever hear about this or have any feedback....

Axle-Less Trailer Suspension - Timbren Ind.

Dale

DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Looks like their version of a torsion axle. They have their advantages and disadvantages. IMHO more advantages than not. I wonder if they can be used in multiples or are they one unit per side? Timbren is a reputable company, I have used their overload stops for years.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #3

Florida
Looks interesting for small two-tire trailers. However, if two are used on one side, a weight distribution system would be necessary which would probably negate any advantages.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Looks like their version of a torsion axle. They have their advantages and disadvantages. IMHO more advantages than not. I wonder if they can be used in multiples or are they one unit per side? Timbren is a reputable company, I have used their overload stops for years.

Aaron
Same idea as a torsion axle, the rubber bumper is taking the road shock out of suspension.

There are also short bolt on versions of the torsion axle avaiable.
3,500 lb Equalizer Torsion Axle End | Princess Auto

When I picked up my new axles from the srping shop, there right in front of me is a display for the full length torsion axles. Man I wish I had of seen that before I ordered my new axles.

They sure do make for a nice towing trailer. Our old Airstream didn't telegraph the ride back into the truck like the leaf springs on this Dutchmen.

If you are considering going there, make sure that the swing arm is adjustable and will give you enough clearance in the wheel wells. You have to be able to get the stub axle to provide the same clearance as the straight axle does.

If you go with the Timbren kit, you will want to have it installed at a shop that can laser align the axles as they are mounted, to get the wheels running true.

I definately concur with Aaron, there are way more pluses than negatives with that type of axle. The biggest is independent suspension on the trailersand stuff dosen't bounce around in side the trailer as much as the straight axle.

Jim
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Went back and looked at the Timbren again. It looks like those might be able to be rebuilt. With the other style of torsion axle you have rubber rods inside the tube, once they wear out they can't be replaced due to the process involved. Your only option then is to replace the entire axle assembly. I did that on one of my Airstreams. One disadvantage to the rubber rod style axles is that they need to be used, if they sit for too long with will take a set and won't work properly. The Timbren looks to have overcome that issue. We have a medium duty trailer here on the property that needs a new axle. After the first of the year I will dig into the Timbren units a bit more and see if they are feasible for my needs.

Aaron
Old 12-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #6

Florida
Sorry guys, but I see no resemblance to a torsion axel. A torsion axel actually 'twists' as the tire goes up and down. The Timbren uses an airbag to cushion the tire movement.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
Sorry guys, but I see no resemblance to a torsion axel. A torsion axel actually 'twists' as the tire goes up and down. The Timbren uses an airbag to cushion the tire movement.
Torsion axles are different, didn't mean to imply it was a torsion one. This is more of a rubber ride. However it will shares many of the advantages of a torsion axle vs the solid spring axles.

Aaron
Old 12-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Torsion axles are different, didn't mean to imply it was a torsion one. This is more of a rubber ride. However it will shares many of the advantages of a torsion axle vs the solid spring axles.

Aaron
Agree.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:

Aaron
Exactly, the thing I like is the independent suspension, it sure would smooth out some of the ruts that are called roads, that I've driven.

I would like to see one of the Silent Ride Trailer Suspension setups in action. Seems to me that uses a solid axle. Seems to almost defeats the purpose, but it has the advantage of the equalizer built into to the assembly vs a bunch of bits cobbled together to smooth out the bumps.

Certainly looks like it would be a lot sturdier than the Morryde system I have now.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote