Stabilizer jacks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 PM   #1

Wisconsin
Stabilizer jacks

I have researched, but got conflicting info, is the reason the stabilizer jacks are only for stabilization due to how they are mounted on the frame, or if I beefed up the mount by either mods or different jacks, can they be used for leveling?

I am looking into self leveling systems, as well as other options than current stock setup.

Thanks

27bh travel trailer

NickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #2

Florida
the stabilizers are designed to kinda keep the rv from bouncing when you walk and helps a bit when it's windy. The mechanisms are NOT designed to fully support the weight of the RV. you can bolster them a bit by adding additional stabilizers to the stabilizers that interconnect the frame to the stabilizers at a different angle to help control that annoying bounce a bit more. Some of the folks here have installed the additional supports and say they make quite a difference.

Self levelling systems are designed to support the weight of the RV and do not come down at an angle and depend on flimsy metal and weak linkage to support the weight.

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #3

California
On trailers without leveling systems you generally need to level side to side with the wheels by using blocks and then front to back with the front jack.

Leveling the wheels can be tricky but once you get that the front to back is pretty easy.

The problem is so many people disconnect before they have leveled the wheels and then try to use stabilizers to level and that is the problem.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #4

Ontario
Stabilizers

My QB20 weighs around 5,000 pounds. I retrofitted each jack with a two-ton rating in place of the factory stabilizers. That was six years ago and no problems yet although we camp on fairly even terrain. It has been handy now and then. The retrofit went very well, took about two hours. Bolt holes lined up perfectly.
drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:44 AM   #5

Wisconsin
drchaffe, any chance you would show some pictures? I am just curious if you had to beef up the frame mount, or how you went about it. I feel this is the route im going to go.

thanks
NickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:43 AM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL View Post
drchaffe, any chance you would show some pictures? I am just curious if you had to beef up the frame mount, or how you went about it. I feel this is the route im going to go.

thanks
Me too!
woody2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

Arizona
Stabilizer jacks.

Quote:
I have researched, but got conflicting info, is the reason the stabilizer jacks are only for stabilization due to how they are mounted on the frame, or if I beefed up the mount by either mods or different jacks, can they be used for leveling?

I am looking into self leveling systems, as well as other options than current stock setup.

Thanks

27bh travel trailer

I have a newer travel trailer with the automatic angled stabilizer jacks. I just leaned the hard way that they should not be used for leveling or trying to get the majority of the weight off of your tires for less movement when your walking in the trailer. It bent and now I have to try and fix it or look for a new replacement. Only use them for stabilizing the trailer after it is level. Hope this helped.
TCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #8

Ontario
Stabilizer Jack Retro-fit

Quote:
drchaffe, any chance you would show some pictures? I am just curious if you had to beef up the frame mount, or how you went about it. I feel this is the route I'm going to go.

thanks
Hello Nick, I didn't do anything to the frame or structure and things still look fine. Here are some pictures. Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacks#1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	6335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacks#2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	6336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack#3.jpg
Views:	238