Solar Panel Plug In - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #1

Oregon
Solar Panel Plug In

We have a 2020 Aspen Trail purchased in Jan of this year. A few problems but corrected by us, some warranty issues corrected at the dealer with whom we are happy with as they have jumped right in and did well! Roberson RV in Salem Oregon!
However when you buy a trailer it is wise to check out EVERYTHING you are being told by the salesman, I am not bashing the salesmen or suggesting they are deliberate telling you untruths but may not really know what they are saying is untrue!
For instance, “there is a 2x6 behind the wall where the TV is to be mounted”, no, it is only a double ply about 2’x2’, not much material for a solid mount with screws and no studs in that area. “Solar ready, just plug in your solar panel and you’re good to go”, no, they didn’t mention it is a Furrion plug in that requires you to buy the Furrion solar panel charging kit for it to work. Furrion does not sell the plug that fits, you have to research and buy an aftermarket plug/adapter. And no you just cannot plug your solar panel in and it works, there is no charging controller in the wiring, you need to supply that also. What you have is a cover over an inlet plug wired directly to your batteries with an inline 10A fuse.
I knew better as I am a long time camper and solar panel user. But what if your not? You buy a panel, get the adapter and plug it in, not gonna work plus you just put way more than 12v to your battery/batteries.
It’s nice you have a prewired connection, but the only reason it is supplied IMHO is to sell you an overpriced solar charging kit! Kinda like the “pre-wired” backup camera cover/mount.
Also because you have 2 grey tank indicators on your panel does not mean you have 2 grey tanks, another misinformation area!

Edwal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

Illinois
Correcto-mundo, especially on the solar. They will tell you pretty much anything to make a sale. "Sure, your half ton pick up can pull that 19,000 lb. fifth wheel.".
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #3

Florida
ABSOLUTELY TRUE! That old saying “how can you tell a salesman is lying “ is true. They hire folks that have little to no RV’ing experience and would not be able to answer questions related to the RV reliably from an operational perspective. They also make promises that other folks in their organization can’t keep or have difficulty in keeping. ...for the most part!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Correcto-mundo, especially on the solar. They will tell you pretty much anything to make a sale. "Sure, your half ton pick up can pull that 19,000 lb. fifth wheel.".
Rusty
If your referring to me, with a 2750BHE, not a 5th wheel, it weighs only 6293lbs empty. My 2018 F150 4x4 with the EcoBoost 3.5 is more than enough. It also has more HP and Torque than the V8s. Rated at 12500 towing capacity. Hooked up with the 10speed tranny, towing package, and an equalizer hitch it gets the job done! Am really happy with the way it pulls the hills on the way to the coast and over the Cascades. The tow/haul feature is an asset in hilly country with the deceleration, and it has a learning feature that adjusts to the way you drive but you must understand how it works to really appreciate it. I am a retired heavy truck/equipment tech and know what is needed to do the job and be safe!
Happy trails!
Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #5

California
Pretty sure Rusty was making a general statement about RV sales people and not about you.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Pretty sure Rusty was making a general statement about RV sales people and not about you.
I read it as a question not as a statement and believed he had the wrong info. My bad, however my comment was not meant to be derogatory at all. If taken that way I apologize!
But re-reading the post I totally agree, “Ford Ranger would be perfect for that 5th wheel!”
Old 11-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #7

Illinois
Certainly wasn't referring to anyone. Speaking only to sales technique dealers use. No offense meant to anyone.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #8

Hawaii
Actually with the wiring adapter you can plug a small 35 watt panel directly even though most are around 18 volts the amps are so low the battery will pull it down I use one to maintain my battery while it's covered and I have a real system on the roof for when I'm using the camper.
georgiaoffgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #9

Colorado
Furrion plugs

Furrion compatible plugs are readily available. They are better than the Go Power or Zamp (SAE) plugs. I often change out the SAE plugs on campers for the 2 pin power circular connector (Furrion did not invent it). Please don't directly connect an 18V panel (no charge controller) to keep your battery charged while in storage. Only one of two bad things can happen...
1) Your camper parasitic draw is higher than the panel can provide and your battery will discharge and die a slow gruesome death.
2) Your camper parasitic draw is less than the panel power and your battery will overcharge and die a slow gruesome death.
leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuresolar@gmail.com View Post
Furrion compatible plugs are readily available. They are better than the Go Power or Zamp (SAE) plugs. I often change out the SAE plugs on campers for the 2 pin power circular connector (Furrion did not invent it). Please don't directly connect an 18V panel (no charge controller) to keep your battery charged while in storage. Only one of two bad things can happen...
1) Your camper parasitic draw is higher than the panel can provide and your battery will discharge and die a slow gruesome death.
2) Your camper parasitic draw is less than the panel power and your battery will overcharge and die a slow gruesome death.
Truer words have never been er... spoken!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote