So many problems since purchase - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2018, 05:03 AM   #1

Kansas
Angry So many problems since purchase

We purchased our 2018 Dutchmen Aerolite in July of 2017. We so excited to finally have a new camper. Well, that didn't last long. So many problems...

Pack-n-play door leaked so much my son was soaked by morning - had to put more rubber gasket around door to prevent rain from coming in (we paid for)

Wrong size master bed (we had to pay)

First time hooking up to water source there was water pouring out from under the bathroom wall into the living space - guess they didn't tighten a clamp good enough (Dutchmen paid)

Skylight wasn't sealed correctly (we paid for)

Refrigerator won't convert from electric to gas automatically (they say it is fine and won't fix)

Some of the mini-blinds are not properly aligned with the brackets so we cannot secure them (they say it is fine and won't fix)

One of the side lights fell off in transit on our first trip (we had to pay)

**BIGGEST PROBLEM: the floor directly in front of the pantry is extremely uneven. There is a dramatic drop in elevation of the floor and also quite a gap between subfloors. According to Dutchmen this is not considered a defect and doesn't affect the usability of the camper so they won't fix it. When we took this to our local dealer their initial reaction "there is a huge problem" (still have the voicemail). This does affect the usability since we have had to have the back bedroom door adjusted to accommodate the uneven floor and the slide had to be adjusted to accommodate the floor as well. Oh, and by the way our local dealer had our camper for over a month just to tell us that Dutchmen declined all claims.

When we got our camper back we could no longer turn on the heater. Had to take it back to our local dealer and the "switch" had gone bad which isn't covered under warranty. (we had to pay once again)

In your opinion would this camper be considered a lemon?
In your opinion would you demand that the floor be fixed?
SHOULD WE GET A LAWYER?

SadAeroliteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

It's a shame you paid such good money for such a crappy product. From my experience, the warranty is a preapproved warranty meaning before the dealer gets paid they must first get approval for the defective item. If the dealer doesn't document the problem well enough or have pictures to back up the claims of a defective product the manufacturer will turn down the warranty claim. It is usually the dealer's fault in many cases for not presenting the warranty claim in a manner the manufacturer will accept it as a claim.
Try changing dealers and see if another dealer can help you out. Those items should all be under warranty at least for the first year.
Workmanship from the factory is terrible at best and little if any quality control. There are no lemon laws that cover RV's that I am aware of unless your state has enacted one. A lawyer may be able to help but the cost may exceed the results you receive. Its a shame but we all have been there one time or another at different levels of crappy work. Your last alternative is the squeaky wheel. Start writing letters to publication Trailer life. They have great success in helping consumers with problems. Also, start writing the factory and consumer group that can help..
Good luck

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Florida
WOW! Sounds almost overwhelming! You may be better off contacting Dutchmen directly and bypassing this dealer. Depending on your state, there may be lemon laws but they are for problems that are “unfixable”. There was a thread started here about a year ago discussing issues like these. Tammany is correct in saying go direct to Dutchmen. GOOD LUCK!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

Florida
Tanman. Autocorrect!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #5

What did I misspell or what grammar is in need?? Was is something so terrible you call me out in a public forum??
Old 01-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
What did I misspell or what grammar is in need?? Was is something so terrible you call me out in a public forum??
Tammany is correct in saying go direct to Dutchmen.

This is what Frank is speaking of, his auto correct changed your name.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #7

Florida
Autocorrect does not like the spelling of your name. I complimented you... I thought it important to get your name right and give you credit for what you said. It did not let me edit after I posted so I entered another post correcting the autocorrected name. Sorry for any misunderstanding...
Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

My apologies kind sir. I thought you were trying to tell me to use autocorrect when I post. Now that I go back and completely read the threads I see my comments were unwarranted. Yes, you are correct, autocorrect sometimes puts us in a pickle when we fail to review what we write before we post and I am bad about that.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
My apologies kind sir. I thought you were trying to tell me to use autocorrect when I post. Now that I go back and completely read the threads I see my comments were unwarranted. Yes, you are correct, autocorrect sometimes puts us in a pickle when we fail to review what we write before we post and I am bad about that.
Problem is that I reviewed it but because I’m using my iPad, it corrected when it posted. No worries...