Slidouts and storage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Colorado
Slidouts and storage

I don't have a slide-out on my TT but something I saw seems kind of strange. There is a RV dealership nearby that has a large lot they use for RV storage. About half the TT and 5th wheelers stored there have their slide-outs extended. I haven't seen this practice at any other storage lot I've driven by or where I store my TT. I don't have a slide-out on my TT so I'm just curious as to why someone would do this....

DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:59 AM   #2

California
Maybe they are showing them? Otherwise you're right.. I wouldn't store mine open..

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Maybe they all have failed slides that got stuck open?

I don't know why some people store with slides open and some with them closed. I don't have a slide either. When I had my fifth wheel it was stored with the slides closed, if we were going to use it as a spare room I would open the slides up, then pull them in again when we were done with it. Storing with the slides out to me would create the potential for leaks and excess weathering on some components.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Maybe they all have failed slides that got stuck open?

I don't know why some people store with slides open and some with them closed. I don't have a slide either. When I had my fifth wheel it was stored with the slides closed, if we were going to use it as a spare room I would open the slides up, then pull them in again when we were done with it. Storing with the slides out to me would create the potential for leaks and excess weathering on some components.

Aaron
Storing them open and having water intrusion is no different than me living in mine wear the slides are open year round....

i have seen some RV storage facilities that had 120v running to each spot, which would allow for dehumidifiers to be left inside, maybe the openness of the setup would allow for a fan and dehumidifier to work more efficiently??

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Storing them open and having water intrusion is no different than me living in mine wear the slides are open year ...
Cale
Exactly, you should be able to however, when stored somewhere else you cant baby sit them for leaks and malfunctions, which we shouldnt have to do either.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
I would think you would have less total volume for the dehumidifier to deal with if the slides were closed I had a Cardinal fifth wheel for several years, I know if there was a driving rain from a certain direction I would get a minor leak at one corner of the main slide, if it was closed it did not. Never managed to track down the source.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

California
I store mine at my house & yes I keep the slides open. This would be the same as if it was on a dealer lot for sale. My daughter is living in our 2003 Teton in Phoenix so the slides are out on it.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #8

Montana
We store ours with the slides in. For no reason in particular though. We store ours about 20 miles from home at my mom's place. Have no reason to put the slides out once I park it there. Just back it in the spot, unhook, plug it in, close the gate on our way out.