Slide toppers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Colorado
Slide toppers

Hi all,

The new TT I'm getting in April will have a slide and I think I would like to get a topper for it. Any advise on the need for one, reliable brand, or anything else I might want to know would be appreciated.

Dale

DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

California
Dale
Never had a topper on any of my RV's that had slides. Carefree has some nice ones though.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

Illinois
I too am looking for slide toppers for our 5'r... Our awnings are Carefree so I'm sticking to them... Looking at the enclosed ones for a little more protection from tree limbs, seeing as our Voltage is so tall.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Some people swear by them, others swear at them. I prefer them to having to get the crap off the top of the slide in poor weather. Added bonus; in somewhere like AZ they help keep the excess heat generated by the sun off the tops of the slide. As far as brand, I would go with whatever brand your main awning is.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #5

Missouri
As Aaron stated you will get mixed reviews here. Most of the negatives are from the guys in the desert that don't have a lot of branches and leaves falling on them, and deal with high winds on a regular basis. But for me, living in Missouri, I wont have a trailer without them. I have the Dometic Deluxe slide toppers. I am very pleased with mine and they have been "Carefree" since I got them. Here is a pic of what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hawn sp 2a.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2928  

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #6

Florida
I had them on one TT, but they didn't last but about 3 years because of water accumulating on them. I had my last TT for 10 years without toppers and never had a problem. Didn't put them on my current TT either. I built a special broom to quickly wipe the slide tops when camping under trees. I'm not bashing them, but they are not for me.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
I had them on one TT, but they didn't last but about 3 years because of water accumulating on them. I had my last TT for 10 years without toppers and never had a problem. Didn't put them on my current TT either. I built a special broom to quickly wipe the slide tops when camping under trees. I'm not bashing them, but they are not for me.
How big of a ladder did you need to broom off the slide? Also, how did you modify the broom so it worked for you?

Dale
Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #8

Florida
I don't need a ladder. I bought a collapsible broom and used pvc to extend and add a 'U' at the top. (Think street light). I just stand on the ground and sweep the slide tops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
How big of a ladder did you need to broom off the slide? Also, how did you modify the broom so it worked for you?

Dale
Old 02-27-2016, 12:27 AM   #9

New Jersey
I put slide toppers on all three slides. Before we did, we had a motor failure on our bedroom Schwintek slide due to moisture and corrosion. Our local service center recommended them to help protect the motors. Added benefits are not having to get up on the roof before pulling the slides in to sweep them off. We spend 5 weeks at a time in FL, they do help with the sun beating down on the slides, and heating things up. One negative is the largest one will collect some water. Pulling the slide in and putting it back out empties the water. Not an issue on the two smaller slides.

I'm happy with them, after a year of use. Our's are CareFree brand. At some point, I'm sure we'll have to replace the fabric.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #10

Florida
Your service center took you to the cleaners. There is no way that a topper will prevent a slide motor failure. I live in south Florida and my AC has no problem keeping up with no toppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
I put slide toppers on all three slides. Before we did, we had a motor failure on our bedroom Schwintek slide due to moisture and corrosion. Our local service center recommended them to help protect the motors. Added benefits are not having to get up on the roof before pulling the slides in to sweep them off. We spend 5 weeks at a time in FL, they do help with the sun beating down on the slides, and heating things up. One negative is the largest one will collect some water. Pulling the slide in and putting it back out empties the water. Not an issue on the two smaller slides.

I'm happy with them, after a year of use. Our's are CareFree brand. At some point, I'm sure we'll have to replace the fabric.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:22 AM   #11

Arizona
I don't have toppers and never felt the need until we got ready to leave the campground in Savannah yesterday. The area had a pretty good blow for a couple of days and all kinds of junk fell from the trees and wound up on top of my slides. Glad I climbed on the roof to sweep it off as it was a mess with small pine cones and such.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #12

Ohio
How do toppers hold up with snow? These are on my listif items to possibly get.
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #13

Illinois
They all sag with rain and snow, and on heavy wind days, they can flap and make some noise, but I like them for keeping debris off as well as helping reduce water standing. I have Carefree for a year now. No problem.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
I don't need a ladder. I bought a collapsible broom and used pvc to extend and add a 'U' at the top. (Think street light). I just stand on the ground and sweep the slide tops.
sounds like what I need, pictures of the broom would be great if you have any

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #15

Wyoming
Quote:
Your service center took you to the cleaners. There is no way that a topper will prevent a slide motor failure. I live in south Florida and my AC has no problem keeping up with no toppers.
Well, it sure can't do anything but help shade the top of the slide from pulling in dirt, dust, and other debris into the areas behind the seals.

And as to the shading for AC... I've done south Florida, and I've done southern AZ. The latter last summer when it was routinely 117 during the day. Trust me when I tell you that the toppers helped in that situation. A laser thermometer routinely showed that the sides of the slide were warmer than the ceiling. Thankfully, there was only direct sunlight on the side of the slide for about 3 hours of the day. I'd have hated to see the temps on the ceiling with the direct sunlight on them all day.

Bottom line... as Aaron said earlier: some people love 'em, some people hate 'em. I'm one of the guys that love 'em. Yeah, they make some noise in the 30mph+ winds we have here nearly everyday out here in AZ, but so what? They do what they were made to do. Your mileage may vary...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #16

Colorado
Can the toppers be manually retracted if the wind gets blowing too hard?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #17

Tennessee
I've seen many a slideout with toppers that still get junk blown underneath them, my dealer actually talked me out of one. I keep a small ladder in the camper, it only takes a minute to sweep it off. I guess it depends on the area you camp the most in.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
Can the toppers be manually retracted if the wind gets blowing too hard?
Not that I have seen. There are ways to reduce the noise in high winds. You can slip a piece of pipe insulation on the edge of the slide under the awning, some people use a split pool noodle, the best idea I have seen so far was to glue some exterior grade felt on ride edge.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote