Slide pulley bracket problem - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #1

Missouri
Slide pulley bracket problem

I have an 18 Coleman light lx with one slide. Back in august, on day 2 of a 3 day trip, one of the slide pulley brackets popped 2 screw heads and dislocated upward. I was able to pull the slide in. Camping world provided an unsatisfactory fix in which they drilled out the two broken screws and replaced them with bigger screws. The problem is that the bracket appears to have been mounted wrong at the factory. It's tilted upward to the right, which shoves the pulley into the trim and misaligns the cables increasing their risk of rubbing other components. I really don't want to keep going back to camping world or a dealer at all. Has anybody relocated or replaced one of these brackets? Im not sure how big the plate is behind the wall and have even seen examples of a plate being attached to the wall for increased strength ad then attaching the bracket to that plate? The attached pic is post repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181117_133042372.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5163  

Lyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyleg View Post
I have an 18 Coleman light lx with one slide. Back in august, on day 2 of a 3 day trip, one of the slide pulley brackets popped 2 screw heads and dislocated upward. I was able to pull the slide in. Camping world provided an unsatisfactory fix in which they drilled out the two broken screws and replaced them with bigger screws. The problem is that the bracket appears to have been mounted wrong at the factory. It's tilted upward to the right, which shoves the pulley into the trim and misaligns the cables increasing their risk of rubbing other components. I really don't want to keep going back to camping world or a dealer at all. Has anybody relocated or replaced one of these brackets? Im not sure how big the plate is behind the wall and have even seen examples of a plate being attached to the wall for increased strength ad then attaching the bracket to that plate? The attached pic is post repair.
In my experience, there is NO plate behind the wall, it screws into a wooden 1 by which is part of the superstructure of the RV itself. I also have seen those screws breaking off due to the factory putting them in too tight and partially ripping the heads off (happened to me). Welcome to the forum by the way. There are instructions on how to re-tighten the cables and re-align them to get the slide to work correctly.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #3

Missouri
This model is aluminum framed but I guess the concept is still the same. Thank you for your response.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
This model is aluminum framed but I guess the concept is still the same. Thank you for your response.
they still screw into a piece of wood. You can see a portion of it in the picture. They probably angled it that way because the 1x4 on the horizontal is a little high and they needed to get that screw on the right bottom into the wood. If they would have put it straight, they would have missed the 1x4.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #5

Missouri
I see what you mean. My concern is at this angle first off that one upper pulley is basically in that wood trim, and second the cables are a little bit misaligned which I worry will create a rubbing situation somewhere in the system and fray the cable.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

Missouri
I see what you mean. My concern is at this angle first off that one upper pulley is basically in that wood trim, and second the cables are a little bit misaligned which I worry will create a rubbing situation somewhere in the system and fray the cable.

that one by at the top of the picture doesn't actually have any part of the bracket attached to it.
I'll put a few more pictures on to clarify how it's mounted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181126_125305421.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	5164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_125514606.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	5165  
Old 11-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

Missouri
Also here is a picture of the other side which I believe is more correct in its position according to the factory manual on the accuslide system
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181117_133157378.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	5166  
Old 11-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:

that one by at the top of the picture doesn't actually have any part of the bracket attached to it.
I'll put a few more pictures on to clarify how it's mounted
As you can see in this picture, the pulley is mounted too low and in order to catch the wood with the screws, they had to angle the bracket. The wood on the vertical side goes down past the bottom of the horizontal piece and butts up against the vertical piece. If you completely RAISE that bracket up about an inch you could get it level but it would require slacking the cables up enough to get the tension off of both of them. IF the slide is OUT when you do this, you would need to support the weight of the slide then redo the installation on the cable tensions. IF memory serves me when I looked at mine when they had the slide out to replace the cables and seals, they use pine 1x4's.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #9

Tennessee
Even though that would drive me nuts... If the slide comes in and out smoothly and the bracket seems secure after the fix, I would leave it alone. They barely allow enough backing material for the original install, moving it around could cause some serious headaches.

That setup looks to be as poorly designed as the schwintec one. I knock on wood every time my slide makes it in or out.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #10

Florida
QUOTE=wildwest450;64955]Even though that would drive me nuts... If the slide comes in and out smoothly and the bracket seems secure after the fix, I would leave it alone. They barely allow enough backing material for the original install, moving it around could cause some serious headaches.

That setup looks to be as poorly designed as the schwintec one. I knock on wood every time my slide makes it in or out.[/QUOTE]

mine is fingers crossed!