Slide leak - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

Florida
Slide leak

ok, so I am a newby (still inside of my 1st year) with owning a travel trailer. I have a 2012 Dutchman Coleman RB240 with slide.

We camped last weekend and had a bad storm- a ton of rain. I woke up at 6 am to head to the restroom when I stepped in a water puddle . The water was coming in from the top of my slide. Now, I will first admit that I have never parked level and never have seen a reason why it should be level side to side, and front to back...

When the rain came in from the top of the slide (it was extended), I believe that it was because the TT was not level. The slide was the highest point vs the other side of the trailer. Basically the water butted against the seal. I suppose whatever water that did not run down the side of the top, came inside.
I have read articles that say parking level is a must all the way to slider covers are a must. I am thinking regardless, shound't the seals have done their job better? Or should I not expect the seals to hold back 100% of water? I probably had 1/3 gallon of water in my camper.

also, the seals do not seem to be dry-rotted or in bad shape. I do spray the lube on them as suggested by CW.

Please chime in!!

Thanks

citgodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

California
Trailers are designed to drain water off of them but only if level. Another big item is the frig. To work at its best it needs to also be level.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks DesertRat - I was told about the fridge working at optimal performance last week - that was also new to me!!
citgodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Tennessee
Level, level, and level some more.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

California
Front to back is the easiest to get level it's the side to side that causes the problems. First thing to do is get some of the stick on levels that any rv parts or Camping World has.
RV Levels, Set of 2 - RV Designer E401 - Levels - Camping World
Using a standard level set your TT up level by checking on the floor front to back & side to side. Once you have it level, install the levels like in the post above on the left front corner of your trailer. One on the front and other on the side. Now you should be able to see the side to side level from your driver outside rear view mirror.
If needing to level side to side here is what I use
Amazon.com: Camco 44573 Yellow Tri-Leveler: Automotive
You will need a pair & then. If down hill is to the rear pull up on the block so you can install your wheel chocks. Back onto them if downhill is to the front of the RV.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44414-Wh...id=1412884429&

Hope that helps
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

Georgia
I would also check to be sure the slide is extending all the way out to make a tight seal.

chiefward is offline   Reply With Quote