Slide is cutting vinyl flooring? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2020, 02:15 AM   #1

Manitoba
Slide is cutting vinyl flooring?

The double slide on our 2017 Aspen Trail 2480RBS Is cutting the vinyl flooring.

I believe it just started doing this, I purchased it last fall and don’t remember seeing any cuts on the vinyl flooring. The slide has been in/out 4 times this summer and is making a foot long cut in the vinyl flooring in the middle of the slide out floor, right between the dinette and sofa.

Checked the slide floor when it was extended and there are no screws protruding below the floor, the black fibre mat is not damaged on the bottom side of the slide floor where it cuts the vinyl flooring. Checked while the slide was being retracted and there are no small stones or debris under the slide floor that would get caught and cut the vinyl flooring.

Slide works ok going in and out and seals properly both in and out. I level the trailer side to side on the axles/tires first, level it front to back with the tongue jack, and put the stabilizers down before I run the slide out.

Is this a common issues? Suggestions?

Thanks for any help with this.

Scrapwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapwelder View Post

I believe it just started doing this, I purchased it last fall and don’t remember seeing any cuts on the vinyl flooring. The slide has been in/out 4 times this summer and is making a foot long cut in the vinyl flooring in the middle of the slide out floor, right between the dinette and sofa.

Checked the slide floor when it was extended and there are no screws protruding below the floor, the black fibre mat is not damaged on the bottom side of the slide floor where it cuts the vinyl flooring. Checked while the slide was being retracted and there are no small stones or debris under the slide floor that would get caught and cut the vinyl flooring.

Slide works ok going in and out and seals properly both in and out. I level the trailer side to side on the axles/tires first, level it front to back with the tongue jack, and put the stabilizers down before I run the slide out.

does it have rollers under the slide. Mine needs to be WD-40'd every now and then to keep them rolling.

Have you lost a roller?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #3

Illinois
They sell glide protectors that you lay on the floor under the slide when you retract. Mine came with them. My buddy just uses cardboard from beer cases.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #4

Florida
think I'll look into those.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #5

California
@OP, seems really weird. I would think when the slide is all the way out it would be easy to see the culprit. Have you tried getting underneath the RV when the slide is out and running your hand across every inch of the slide bottom? Maybe there is something sharp that somehow is concealed by the slide bottom and is still protruding enough that it can cut the flooring?

Sounds like you have been really thorough investigating so I am surprised. Are you sure it is still happening? Maybe it did it once with a rock that got dislodged? Try putting some masking tape or even duct tape over the scratch and seeing if a new cut is made the next time you retract it,

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #6

Manitoba
I crawled under the slide when it was fully extended, nothing protruding under the slide floor. I watched the slide retract from outside and inside and can’t see what is doing this. Lifted up leading edge of carpet inside of slide out floor and retracted slide 4” at a time, stopped the slide, lifted up carpet edge and checked with flashlight. Nothing under the slide floor as it retracts that would cut floor.

Did the masking tape already, put down a wide strip of green painters tape on existing cut on vinyl flooring and slide cut the masking tape.

Got me beat for now.....easy fix is the slide glides that were previously suggested but that’s like a bandaid fix, doesn’t really fix the real problem but it will probably stop any additional damage to my floor and I can repair the cut area.

Had double slides on other trailers and never had this happen.
Scrapwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #7

Oklahoma
There are such things as slide skis installed at the factory. Not all slides use them but maybe the blind installers forget to put your on.
From what has been mentioned in the group the skis are a right angle that fits the outside edge of the slide and then wrap around to the bottom of it. A small distance is maintained when the skis are intact to keep the bottom of the slide off the floor covering.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #8

California
@scrapwelder, that would drive me crazy.

Do you have cable slides or the other type? On my wardrobe slide the chain is underneath and it moves across. I could see a chain like that scratching because it could be in a different position as the slide closes.

I hope you are able to figure it out.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #9

Florida
did you have a cat at one time ?
Old 06-22-2020, 12:14 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapwelder View Post

Do you have an extended warranty? Out first TT had this issue, and they found a factory defect causing it... after two repairs they decided to send the TT back to the factory and upgraded us to a newer unit ( by rolling the prices into the new loan) - but at least we have a $35,000 dollar travel trailer with a resale price of about 10 K
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Do you have an extended warranty? Out first TT had this issue, and they found a factory defect causing it... after two repairs they decided to send the TT back to the factory and upgraded us to a newer unit ( by rolling the prices into the new loan) - but at least we have a $35,000 dollar travel trailer with a resale price of about 10 K
Have dealer adjust it, they sag after time

Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote