Shower base - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #1

Illinois
Shower base

I have found a small crack in shower base, welcome to ideas how to fix it. But 1st how do I determine if it is fiberglass or acrylic for a lack of better terms plastic. Thanks, oh ya it is 2012 Denali 5th wheel.

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
I have found a small crack in shower base, welcome to ideas how to fix it. But 1st how do I determine if it is fiberglass or acrylic for a lack of better terms plastic. Thanks, oh ya it is 2012 Denali 5th wheel.

Maybe you can remove the shower drain and look in the hole for fibers that might be there.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #3

Illinois
Good idea
Old 04-12-2021, 02:10 AM   #4

California
I would be shocked if it was anything other than plastic—but that is just a guess.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Illinois
I tend to agree with you, it sure seems like plastic to me. It has a small crack any ideas on how to fix it ?
Old 04-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

California
Well that depends how concerned you will be with the look of,the repair.

If you can live with an obvious repair make then the easiest would be caulk and probably clear which will be less obvious than white. And if you don’t like the look of this one you can remove it.

Another option is JB Weld which will be more permanent but harder to redo if necessary.

Pool supply stores also carry products for patching and repairing pipes too that actually can be applied under water and still work.

Personally, I would do any of the above before trying to remove and replace the existing base which would be the best option but also the most time consuming and expensive.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
is the crack near the center (drain) or away from the center? Is because the shower pan flexes when you step on it? My shower pan always felt like i was going to step through it because it flexed so much. IF it flexes, I would look at the inspection hole to see if there is any way to prop it up then, one option would be to probably put some Eternabond tape on it (from the top). If it doesn't flex and the crack won't spread, you may consider puting some Gorilla Silicone on it (IMO) but my first inclination would be the Eternabond.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #8

Illinois
Shower base

I sanded it down with some 80 grit, then used jb weld for acrylic, will try that 1st, if it doesn't I will have to grind the jb off and go to plan B. It was a hairline crack but I put the jb about 1/2 wide. Time will tell, thanks everyone for your comments
Old 04-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #9

Arizona
my problem is how flexible our shower is, and has a opening where to see all the wires come thru the hack job from Manu,, I put in some dense foam to help but if I was going to fix a crack, I would replace it.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 AM   #10

Alberta
My shower base cracked, and after investigating, I found that the base had a double floor. The lower portion was well supported, but there was a gap between the lower and upper floor, which was nearly impossible for me to fix, and it was the cause of flexing in the base. I fixed the crack at first with JB Weld, but it did not last because of the flexing. I then fixed it with eternabond, and the problem is solved. Not the prettiest repair, but function is more important than appearances, especially when it comes to leaks.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #11

Arizona
I was amazed how "flexible" the shower floor was (is) in my QB200. I opened the inspection access door and still cant believe what a piss poor installation that Kodiak did. I have many issues with this brand of trailer and if I could have a do over, I wouldn't...
Speaking of awning motors: Mine will not retract if fully opened. Its ok is out to the last two feet but all the way out is another pisser...
steve weston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #12

Illinois
I almost used eternabond, if this doesn't work thats my next step. I was going to drill a couple small holes on base then fill it with expanding foam to support it. But real hard to drill a hole in it, just sounds dangerous lol
Old 04-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #13

Arizona
shower pan

I too thought about "foaming" in under the shower pan but then realized that doing repairs later on would be a disaster. All the foam would need to removed which could be a pain. Looking under the pan I saw 2x2 wood blocks that are supposed to stiffen the floor but that is another piss poor solution. Dutchman
(Kodiak) must be a lower end trailer. We like the looks and layout but after you own one for awhile you get to see defects. My fiberglass front cap must have been built by a fourth grade class and then my rear fiberglass is separating from the plywood ..... If I purchased again I would consider a metal exterior..
OK, enough. Sorry for ranting...
Old 04-18-2021, 07:19 PM   #14

Florida
maybe you can experiment with "foaming" pillows. Take a plastic bag and let it expand. Would not be an issue to get it out as much as it would be if you just sprayed that stuff and filled in the whole thing. They make an expanding foam that is hard. Maybe try postlock expanding foam or some such thing.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #15

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve weston View Post
...Dutchman
(Kodiak) must be a lower end trailer. We like the looks and layout but after you own one for awhile you get to see defects...
ALL of the rigs in this price range (under $250k) are the Ford Pintos & Chevy Vegas of the RV world... regardless of the manufacturer or brand. It’s strictly quantity over quality on the plant floor. As the rigs move from station-to-station on the line, the assemblers only have a set amount of time to complete their installs... and they ain’t stoppin’ the entire line for a single hold-up.

Once that notion is firmly implanted in your head... the repair & maintenance routines become much simpler to deal with.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #16

Illinois
No way to get under the base in mine, other than drilling a hole or 2
Old 04-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #17

Arizona
Most excellent idea. I might try that :in the bag" process.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #18

Arizona
Isn't there an inspection panel in the front of your shower pan ? Mine is a panel about six by 10 inch for working under the pan.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #19

Illinois
Wish mine did but it doesn't
Old 04-18-2021, 11:24 PM   #20

Arizona
I didnt think mine had the removable door but I went and looked. Sure enough, there it was. Just below the door and about two inches off the floor. I wonder why some do and some dont have the access. What if the shower drain needs work ? There has got to be a way to get to the drain pipe....