Shattered frameless window - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Florida
Shattered frameless window

Having trouble locating somewhere to get a replacement window online. Has anyone broken a frameless window? I left the racetrack Monday everything in tact, first stop at truck stop and the side window on my 3950 between the 2 slides was busted out. There were no marks on the side of the trailer and the glass was missing in the center and the outside of the glass was still there but shattered just hadn't fallen through yet. I guess something flew up at it in transit. The majority of the glass was on the floor inside the trailer. At any rate I was curious if anyone had been through this or knew where to look for a replacement. Duct tape, cardboard, and trash bags got me through the storm last night lol.

csimmonsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Easy RV Window Replacement

Lazy Days does replacement also.............

Look here

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

Florida
thanks! that was an easy site to navigate
Old 02-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Texas
This place has the best price I could find...

Page Title

They will not order by size you must have the part # which is on a label on top of the frame. I bought a small ratcheting bit driver to remove the frame without having to take down the window valance.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

Florida
Thank you HornedToad for the tip, I've e-mailed the first option and will check this one out too. Thanks for the ratcheting bit driver tip too!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #6

California
I just had Fire escape window fly off going down the road what's the name of the places that you guys recommend to get them replaced
mscaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #7

Louisiana
Trekwood.com
If you remove the window frame there is a silver label with the part number on it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #8

Wyoming
Well, my turn for this. I can't seem to catch a break lately...

Only difference is, I know what caused my window to shatter... a semi damn near crowded me into a concrete Jersey barrier today on I-40, and clipped my window with his mirror!

My dilemma is that I'm enroute to Colorado over the next week, with no fixed address to order & send a replacement to. So the question is... what did you guys do, or what does anyone recommend to do to secure the open window for a few days? I know I can't go a week without seeing any rain...

My first thought was a large sheet of that 100 mph tape to simply tape over it... but what happens in 10 days or so when I actually repair it? I'm guessing the tape adhesive will rip the graphics right off the rig when I go to remove it.

Any ideas?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 AM   #9

Texas
Shattered frameless window

I bought a sheet of smoked plexiglass cut to size at the home supply store and taped the edges with black gorilla tape. It held up well on the highway and lasted a couple of months before I replaced the window. Used goo be gone to remove the residue from the tape. It didn't damage the decals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike & Helen
Old 06-03-2017, 02:06 AM   #10

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
I bought a sheet of smoked plexiglass cut to size at the home supply store and taped the edges with black gorilla tape. It held up well on the highway and lasted a couple of months before I replaced the window. Used goo be gone to remove the residue from the tape. It didn't damage the decals.

Nice... Thanks!

I thought of plexiglass, but not the gorilla tape. Wasn't sure how well it'd do in the slipstream going down the road.

Did you have someone replace the window, or did you do it yourself? If the latter, any tricks to it? I've never removed or installed one before.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-03-2017, 03:11 AM   #11

Texas
I bought a small ratcheting bit driver to unscrew the inside frame without having to remove the valance. With the frame off the old window popped out with a little prying where the old butyl tape was holding it down. A little clean up and some fresh tape on the new window and it slide right in for me to re screw the inside frame while a buddy held it in place on a step ladder from the outside. Good luck with your repair!!!

Mike & Helen
Old 06-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Gorrilla tape or ZipTape, should be able to buy ZipTape at Home Despot, Lowe's or Menards. I would use that and a piece of Lexan. Love the mini-ratchet sets... I have 4 of them.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

Wyoming
Ok, decided to anchor down in OKC while I do repairs on the window, and tackle some other maintenance items on both the truck & RV.

So I removed all of the interior screws, removed the interior frame, and then tried pushing the whole thing outward. Nada. It doesn't wanna move. Tried tapping it in a few places with a hammer, and still no dice.

Now, I didn't tap too hard because, if I've missed a step, I don't wanna do worse damage. But is that it? Is there another step, or just go ahead and lean on it until it departs the bodywork?

Just double checking... Thanks...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok, decided to anchor down in OKC while I do repairs on the window, and tackle some other maintenance items on both the truck & RV.

So I removed all of the interior screws, removed the interior frame, and then tried pushing the whole thing outward. Nada. It doesn't wanna move. Tried tapping it in a few places with a hammer, and still no dice.

Now, I didn't tap too hard because, if I've missed a step, I don't wanna do worse damage. But is that it? Is there another step, or just go ahead and lean on it until it departs the bodywork?

Just double checking... Thanks...
You'll need to break the bond between the frame and the black tape that's holding it in. A small putty knife gently placed between the tape and the frame to get it started and then you can pry it out all the way round.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #15

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You'll need to break the bond between the frame and the black tape that's holding it in. A small putty knife gently placed between the tape and the frame to get it started and then you can pry it out all the way round.
Ok, got it... It's out. Thanks.

How's life on the other side of the equator?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-04-2017, 03:00 AM   #16

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok, got it... It's out. Thanks.

How's life on the other side of the equator?
The other day was the first day of winter so it has been blowy, rainy, cloudy and sometimes a little sunny. Looks like I'll have a nine month winter this year!

I don't dare drive even after spending a few hours observing. I did 20 years ago but I was younger and braver than now. I have a good driver that knows where the local big box stores are. Whole different attitude down here, people are actually helpful and go out of their way to be so.

The chef does a great job but I miss that jalapeno spice once in awhile. Colonel Sanchez fried chicken is about the same. You know, parts are parts.

Plumbers won't stub out work unless they trim it out, same for electricians. Seems the liability bug is far up their arse. It appears that the last guy that touches the part is the responsible party, not the third party provider but the installer.

I don't know if stuff is expensive or not, I just buy what I want and let the price be.

The Queen's birthday is tomorrow and everything is closed. I said 'damn the queen, full speed ahead' and got some dirty looks