Several questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Washington
Several questions

Just signed up and was looking to post a new thread for some help.

We purchased a 2007, Dutchman Grand Junction FW. It has day/night blinds and for the life of me, I cannot figure how to lift the blinds up to open the windows.

For that matter, I cannot figure out how to get the windows open. They have those little pinch together latches and I have done that and cannot open the window.

We also found out by accident that the GJ has a major flaw in the door locks. My husband is so used to going out of our stick home and locking the door, he did this to me on Sunday in the FW. When I went to leave, I could not open the door. If the door is locked from the outside, the person inside cannot get out. I found that to be a very dangerous situation had it caught on fire. I do not know if the newer ones the design has changed, but I do not like this feature at all.

It is used, we are full-timers and the only other issue we have had is the gear box for the landing gear quit working. The insurance/extended warranty company we have would only pay $125 of the service call as we were in a park and the closest repair place was 2 hours away, charged $95 per hour from the minute they left their shop and would have arrived and had to order the part, drive back and come back. Just for the drive time it would have been almost $1000. Thankfully, hubby was able to temporarily fix it to get it moved.

Looking for great insurance/warranty companies.

Thank you all!

Rannypapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #2

California
Had day/night shade in quite a few RV's and they just lift/slide straight up. Never had a RV that you couldn't unlock from the inside. Those latches are easy to change out & cost under $50.00. The windows if they haven't been opened in awhile you need two people. One to pinch the latch & other to lift the window. Then spray the slide with a silicone spray and should work easier.
Oh & welcome !

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Colorado
Here's where you can get good locks that of course allow you to unlock from the inside.

I used them to replace a broken door latch and to get two that match for the front and rear door with the same key.

RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannypapa1 View Post
Just signed up and was looking to post a new thread for some help.

We purchased a 2007, Dutchman Grand Junction FW. It has day/night blinds and for the life of me, I cannot figure how to lift the blinds up to open the windows.

For that matter, I cannot figure out how to get the windows open. They have those little pinch together latches and I have done that and cannot open the window.

We also found out by accident that the GJ has a major flaw in the door locks. My husband is so used to going out of our stick home and locking the door, he did this to me on Sunday in the FW. When I went to leave, I could not open the door. If the door is locked from the outside, the person inside cannot get out. I found that to be a very dangerous situation had it caught on fire. I do not know if the newer ones the design has changed, but I do not like this feature at all.

It is used, we are full-timers and the only other issue we have had is the gear box for the landing gear quit working. The insurance/extended warranty company we have would only pay $125 of the service call as we were in a park and the closest repair place was 2 hours away, charged $95 per hour from the minute they left their shop and would have arrived and had to order the part, drive back and come back. Just for the drive time it would have been almost $1000. Thankfully, hubby was able to temporarily fix it to get it moved.

Looking for great insurance/warranty companies.

Thank you all!
Welcome to the forum.

If you have FIC locks in you camper, there was a recall just for the exact situation you are describing. Here is a link to the FIC recall page. Recall Page

You may want to look at replacing all of the locks in your trailer. This company can key all of you locks so you are using one key for everything. The plus with these guys is their door locks do not use the master key in the deadbolt and you get rid of the CH751 compartment locks.

As far as a good insurance/warranty company they don't exist in my opinion. I bought one extended warranty in my life close to forty years ago and of course when I when to use it, I get the "sorry that part is not covered."

I figure my "emergency repair account" is fatter by about $10,000 from all the extended warranties that I refused over those years. I figure I am so far ahead of the game, I can self insure and still leave some $$$ behind when I kick the big bucket.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

British Columbia
Sorry, I forgot the link the keyed alike locks.

Re-key My RV - FINALLY an easy way to have just one key!

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:17 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Here's where you can get good locks that of course allow you to unlock from the inside.

I used them to replace a broken door latch and to get two that match for the front and rear door with the same key.

RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys

Pirate
Pirate

Were you able to get the FIC locks keyed so the deadbolt can't be unlocked with the master key?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 AM   #7

Washington
Jim:
Thank you so much.
After talking to a few RV service people my husband decided he can replace the gear box probably on his own.

I think we are beginning to believe your opinion in no good warranty companies!

Thank you,
Old 03-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #8

Washington
Thanks Mike, my hubby came home and lifted those blinds right up and opened the window and said he would use the spray silicone so I can do it on my own!