Seeking roof membrane advice for circa 2000 Dutchmen 31FK... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Minnesota
Seeking roof membrane advice for circa 2000 Dutchmen 31FK...

Hi - I am a total newbie when it comes to campers/RVs, so hoping to get some good advice. I recently purchased an older (2000) Dutchmen travel trailer, 31FK, that has been parked in a campground for the last 20 years. I bought the trailer mainly for the campsite with intention of putting something else it, but now it looks like I might not be able to afford to do that for a while.

The trailer had a few leaks over the years and was patched up with sealant. Additionally, the roof appears to have had a waterproofing of some kind painted over the membrane. The sealant is now peeling/flaking off and looks like it needs to be redone. There are no new leaks yet (that I am aware of anyway), but I would like to be proactive.

I was wondering what is my best course of action. I am thinking I clean up the roof as best I can and remove any peeling waterproofing. Then apply/paint a new waterproof layer on the roof. Does this sound like my best bet? Any tips/tricks or tools I should be aware of to clean this roof off to prep for new waterproofing? Is there a certain kind of brush that can be used to remove the peeling waterproofing? Do I need to get it all off before applying new - or just the flaking stuff?

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

Chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #2

New Hampshire
Dicor has a Rubber Roof Coating system you can put on. Good video on youtube that explains everything .
Stuff isnt cheap and for a 30 foot roof they estimate 4-5 gallons. Maybe you can do the worse off sections first.

The edges on my 2010 Dutchmen are starting to flake off. Wondering if I should install some 3 inch wide eternabond tape all the way down the sides..

bureaunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #3

Georgia
The guy that did mine, pressure washed the top and scrubbed layers off with a stiff brush.

He used the Dicor product.
Wgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #4

Arizona
Great product, easy to apply and not only seals the roof it makes it look better and keeps the trailer a bit cooler. Did mine for ~$100.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #5

Wyoming
My 2-cents, for whatever it’s worth:

The roof is TWENTY FREAKIN YEARS OLD!!! It has sat in one place, exposed to the elements & getting baked by the sun in the same places year after year… without the benefit of occasional cooling by moving down the road, and exposing other parts of the rig to the weather & direct sunlight.

Quit putting friggin band-aids on it, and take it to a reputable RV service center to have it replaced. It’s far outlived it’s useful life. No telling what other problems lie underneath the surface (mold, mildew, rotted frame structures, etc).

If moving it isn’t possible… then scrap it, and save the money you’ll spend on multiple band-aids (plus others issues you’re bound to find) to buy a new one.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote