Schwintek Operation - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #1

Arizona
Schwintek Operation

I have been meaning to start this thread for awhile now but have procrastinated on it.

When I first got my 3905 my main slide stated popping pretty bad after only a few operations. I talked to a really good tech a Richarson's RV and he asked me. "When you operate your slide do you ever stop part way out and then start back in." I thought about it and the answer was yes. He said, "When you operate your slide always go completely in and out without stopping and never reverse before the slide comes to a full stop." I could see where the popping was. The top rail to the rear of the trailer was skipping a tooth. Both going and and going out. I would get one to three or so pops on each operation.

Well, I started reading on this forum and never heard this mentioned. I read about the slide lube recommended by schwintek and couldn't find any. I lubed my slide with Teflon Tri-Flow that I use on lots of thing. Then ran my slides stop to stop several times and the popping decreased with each operation until after half a dozen operations the popping stopped completely. This has been about 10 months and dozens of operations. No more popping and the aluminum rail that was starting to show signs of wear looks no worse.

Perhaps it was the lube that cured the problem. Perhaps it was operation. I really don't know.

So I offer this up to any new schwintek owners as some advice. I don't know how much it is worth. But I hope it may save some owner from the dreaded schwintek failure.

Arlan

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #2

Texas
Good info Arlan, i'm going to check out the Teflon Tri-Flow. Where do you normally get it from?

2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
Good info Arlan, i'm going to check out the Teflon Tri-Flow. Where do you normally get it from?
I usually get mine at a local Napa. I believe I have seen it at Wal-Mart. I admit after I sprayed it on the gears that I sprayed the aluminum rail also. I wished I had not done that so I cleaned it off. I used alcohol and about a 1000 Q-Tips to clean the rails.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I usually get mine at a local Napa. I believe I have seen it at Wal-Mart. I admit after I sprayed it on the gears that I sprayed the aluminum rail also. I wished I had not done that so I cleaned it off. I used alcohol and about a 1000 Q-Tips to clean the rails.
Dam, how long would it take to go thru 1000 Q-tips???
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote