satellites, new question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2018, 12:58 AM   #1

Texas
satellites, new question

I bought the Playmaker, the single not the duo. NOW, I need to know how to hook everything up. I was looking at the manual for our 2015 Aerolite 250BHS and it says this. But I still have no idea if it's satellite capable or not. There is nothing written on the outside of the camper. I looked at the "what this camper has" thing on some page and it said it was satellite capable. I guess I'll find out when I try hooking everything up tomorrow hopefully. OH one more thing. I have a coax to hook up the wally to the outlet, but what do I use to hook the wally to the tv?

Satellite the manufacturer instructions supplied with the unit for Care & Operation. When selecting your campsite, make sure you have a clear line of site (no obstruction from trees, etc) to the southwest so
you can obtain the satellite signal.

and the specs on this site said it was prewired for satellite:
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2015-...50kbhs-tr22198

KathyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Florida
I'm going to be a first time sat hooker-upper also. let us know how you come out. Mine will be a little more complicated since I need to set up a SWiM power supply.

Good Luck!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #3

Texas
I found my hdmi cord. We are taking the camper to Warrenton for antiques week. I don't think I'll have time to try it. If we do I'll let you know
Old 03-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #4

Oregon
Is that a Portable Satellite or is it fixed on the roof? You will need a outside dedicated satellite connection similar to the Park cable connection. Then inside the trailer you should have a dedicated satellite connection. Or you may have a wall plate that has a loop A and B connection. With the loop connected you have normal antenna park cable operation. To use Satellite you need to remove the loop from terminal A and then connect the Satellite box Sat In to it. Then HDMI from Sat Box to TV. You will have Sat but not antenna or Park cable. Maybe, I think, could be?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:55 AM   #5

Texas
Portable. At this time of night, looks and jumpers scares me. I want to call forest river Monday. Hope I can talk to a person who knows.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJB View Post
Portable. At this time of night, looks and jumpers scares me. I want to call forest river Monday. Hope I can talk to a person who knows.
Good luck with that!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Good luck with that!
How very correct you were. I could tell when I was on the phone that I wasn't the only person they were dealing with. It's unnerving knowing that they aren't giving me their full attention. Finally got to the right department and was told that I can't use the Joey, I need a Wally. I was told by someone at dish previously I could use my Joey.
So instead of buying a $99.00 Wally from dish, I bought one for
$78.00 from Amazon.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
How very correct you were. I could tell when I was on the phone that I wasn't the only person they were dealing with. It's unnerving knowing that they aren't giving me their full attention. Finally got to the right department and was told that I can't use the Joey, I need a Wally. I was told by someone at dish previously I could use my Joey.
So instead of buying a $99.00 Wally from dish, I bought one for
$78.00 from Amazon.
Sorry! Lots of folks have a similar experience with customer support (for all of them). My experience is that they really are not connected to the service or manufacturing portion and just field calls that they can answer from who-knows-where documentation that they have.

I once asked them for a layout of the studs in the bathroom so I could put handicap bars in for my wifey... they said that the information was top secret and could not be shared. They also don't know what they are talking about since they really don't know anything about their product.

I will say that I am attempting to put a direct tv setup in and I think I can get it working (with work).

Frank
PS Your BEST avenue is support is this forum. LOTS of folks here are very knowledgeable and can help much better than the morons at the factory!
Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #9

Texas
I was talking with dish network. I emailed the manufacturers of my camper and with the vin they were Ble to tell me our camper is set up for satellite.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
I was talking with dish network. I emailed the manufacturers of my camper and with the vin they were Ble to tell me our camper is set up for satellite.
I would think most of the newer ones have sat capabilities. Problem is with their splitters not being sat capable (frequency wise). I'm relatively sure that the mfr didn't put sat capable splitters in their rv's. After I get my sat setup here at home and know it's working properly, I'll tackle the RV. Waiting for a new DTV LNB (the one I ordered was defective). Should get that in a day or two then be able to actually test the setup on my home TV and the receiver I am going to be taking on the road. My only problem is that my LNB requires power so I will most likely be replacing the splitters in the RV with direct TV capable power capable splitters. I have a separate input (two of them, one on the side and one on the back) for Satellite input on my RV from the "normal" cable connections but the factory was unable (go figure) to give me a wiring diagram to be able to tell where that goes and how it's wired into the system.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:47 AM   #11

Texas
AT least you know how to do that. My eyes crossed just reading that
Old 03-14-2018, 03:09 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
I would think most of the newer ones have sat capabilities. Problem is with their splitters not being sat capable (frequency wise). I'm relatively sure that the mfr didn't put sat capable splitters in their rv's. After I get my sat setup here at home and know it's working properly, I'll tackle the RV. Waiting for a new DTV LNB (the one I ordered was defective). Should get that in a day or two then be able to actually test the setup on my home TV and the receiver I am going to be taking on the road. My only problem is that my LNB requires power so I will most likely be replacing the splitters in the RV with direct TV capable power capable splitters. I have a separate input (two of them, one on the side and one on the back) for Satellite input on my RV from the "normal" cable connections but the factory was unable (go figure) to give me a wiring diagram to be able to tell where that goes and how it's wired into the system.
Will you be having more than one STB in the RV?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:17 AM   #13

Oregon
Quote:
My 2017 300tq did not come prewired for satellite so I had to rewire it myself. There are places on the web that help you on the rewiring. I installed standard splitters I think 3 to be able to bypass the TV power booster and it works perfectly. Only the main TV will be HD via HDMI the bedroom, garage and outside TV will be SD.

With loop connected regular park cable over the air antenna reception.

For satellite remove top loop and connect to satellite "IN" on satellite receiver for satellite only reception.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:20 AM   #14

Texas
For now just 1 tv. I have one for outside but don't really watch it. I don't know what an stb is.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Will you be having more than one STB in the RV?
STB? I will most likely only use the sat on ONE tv since it's HDMI out (although, they offer devices now that I can use wireless for the bedroom TV). As far as I can tell, the outside cable comes to the bedroom first (where the amp switch is) then gets distributed from there. NO idea where the cable is that is labeled SAT goes but since one is near the entertainment center I may be able to intercept it there and deal with it. I have already had to re-wire the input to the radio (put a new antenna in for the radio so it would work without having to use that stupid amp).
Old 03-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Quote:
STB? I will most likely only use the sat on ONE tv since it's HDMI out (although, they offer devices now that I can use wireless for the bedroom TV). As far as I can tell, the outside cable comes to the bedroom first (where the amp switch is) then gets distributed from there. NO idea where the cable is that is labeled SAT goes but since one is near the entertainment center I may be able to intercept it there and deal with it. I have already had to re-wire the input to the radio (put a new antenna in for the radio so it would work without having to use that stupid amp).
Sorry guys, STB is simply Set Top Box. I ask about the number of STBs is because if you only have one you don't need an SWM splitter. The SWM splitter is to enable the LNB to service multiple STBs. The STBs will serve one TV each.
However since you're digging around you might as well replace the OEM TV splitters and use a good quality coax connector.

Maybe all this is understood so disregard but there seems to be some confusion which is absolutely acceptable.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Sorry guys, STB is simply Set Top Box. I ask about the number of STBs is because if you only have one you don't need an SWM splitter. The SWM splitter is to enable the LNB to service multiple STBs. The STBs will serve one TV each.
However since you're digging around you might as well replace the OEM TV splitters and use a good quality coax connector.

Maybe all this is understood so disregard but there seems to be some confusion which is absolutely acceptable.
Since the sat connections eventually come into the coax system (the TV only has ONE coax coming to it) I will most likely need to have the power splitter/injector in the system somewhere in order to NOT inject that 28 volts in the "normal" coax system (backfeed to the amp). I sure wish I could get a wiring diagram from them. Don't you think they would have it?

Sorry, let me explain the power thing... I am using DIRECT TV. it has a SWiM LNB. this thing takes a power injector to make it work. the reason I'm using this is that it does 4K in addition to having the ability to put a second box AND, the receiver I'm using is already set up for SWiM and it captures ALL the satellites for Direct TV operation! It's the one I use here at home (I have three and pay an extra ten bucks a month for).

IF I had not had direct TV, I would have gone to DISH or something else. BUT, it's what I got!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #18

Oklahoma
Quote:
Since the sat connections eventually come into the coax system (the TV only has ONE coax coming to it) I will most likely need to have the power splitter/injector in the system somewhere in order to NOT inject that 28 volts in the "normal" coax system (backfeed to the amp). I sure wish I could get a wiring diagram from them. Don't you think they would have it?

Sorry, let me explain the power thing... I am using DIRECT TV. it has a SWiM LNB. this thing takes a power injector to make it work. the reason I'm using this is that it does 4K in addition to having the ability to put a second box AND, the receiver I'm using is already set up for SWiM and it captures ALL the satellites for Direct TV operation! It's the one I use here at home (I have three and pay an extra ten bucks a month for).

IF I had not had direct TV, I would have gone to DISH or something else. BUT, it's what I got!
I have DirecTV in my house, installed by me. I have two AC adapters, one for the STB and one for the LNB. The antenna has nothing more than the LNB and one coax cable.
The SWM splitter is in the kitchen drawer where it's been since I moved into the house. I would use the splitter if I wanted to pay for another STB but I won't do that.
A basic setup will work without the splitter, for an additional STB the splitter will need to be used.

Before SWM the receiver sent 13/18 volts to the LNB. In order to make the STBs smaller because every TV has to have its own they removed the LNB power circuit from the STB and giving us another thing stuck in the wall.
The 13/18 volt difference was to change the LNB from horizontal to vertical polarization as the channels were changed. That's how they can get so many channels on one satellite beam.
I'm not sure there will be 28 volts back feeding into the amplifier. The amplifier is switched out and mostly doesn't interface with the satellite system.
Regarding a schematic of the wiring, ain't gonna happen unless you make your own as you tear into the system.
SWM and satellite systems are not all that difficult to set up and make work. The difficulty comes when you throw RV into the mix. Setting it up in the house will be straight forward and easy, but attempting to make the RV and SWM play well together may be a different story. Some of us have wired in a dedicated satellite system in the RV and left the hair pulling to someone else.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
I have DirecTV in my house, installed by me. I have two AC adapters, one for the STB and one for the LNB. The antenna has nothing more than the LNB and one coax cable.
The SWM splitter is in the kitchen drawer where it's been since I moved into the house. I would use the splitter if I wanted to pay for another STB but I won't do that.
A basic setup will work without the splitter, for an additional STB the splitter will need to be used.

Before SWM the receiver sent 13/18 volts to the LNB. In order to make the STBs smaller because every TV has to have its own they removed the LNB power circuit from the STB and giving us another thing stuck in the wall.
The 13/18 volt difference was to change the LNB from horizontal to vertical polarization as the channels were changed. That's how they can get so many channels on one satellite beam.
I'm not sure there will be 28 volts back feeding into the amplifier. The amplifier is switched out and mostly doesn't interface with the satellite system.
Regarding a schematic of the wiring, ain't gonna happen unless you make your own as you tear into the system.
SWM and satellite systems are not all that difficult to set up and make work. The difficulty comes when you throw RV into the mix. Setting it up in the house will be straight forward and easy, but attempting to make the RV and SWM play well together may be a different story. Some of us have wired in a dedicated satellite system in the RV and left the hair pulling to someone else.
The only reason to set up at the house is to verify ALL is working well. Like you say, the difficulty is the RV and where the SAT connections go since they don't really appear anywhere as separate connections and are certainly NOT marked as such. I am guessing that ALL the coax connections appear near the amplifier (little green light with the smallest button in the world). Another guess is that there must be a splitter/combiner in that area that would inject the sat signal into the coax system to the two TV outlets I have in the RV since there is only one coax that appears at the TV location.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #20

Oklahoma
If you can, install your own coax run. Forget what the manufacturer did or did not install in your RV.
Do you have all the parts to make the system complete? Do you have the two AC adapters that work with the SWM system? I know you are waiting on the LNB.