satellites, new question - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #41

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
a second receiver.
You get up to 4 free, why pay for one? I just take one from a room we seldom use.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #42

Tennessee
Quote:
getting the regular satellites is easy, getting the "s" sats are the hard part. The S are the SPOT satellites that give you local channels.
I'm sure this isn't right. I always check 101 first and automatically get all the channels, I've set this up so many times I don't even check the other signals. I camp somewhat locally so I do get local channels, but no matter where you go, you'll get someones local channels. Also, don't use the first page on the menu that shows all the signals, you'll drive yourself crazy. Use the signal strength meters page, if I can get 95% or so, it always works.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #43

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I'm sure this isn't right. I always check 101 first and automatically get all the channels, I've set this up so many times I don't even check the other signals. I camp somewhat locally so I do get local channels, but no matter where you go, you'll get someones local channels. Also, don't use the first page on the menu that shows all the signals, you'll drive yourself crazy. Use the signal strength meters page, if I can get 95% or so, it always works.
I tried getting the locals where I was (boone). I registered the S channels and was getting good sat reception on them but would NOT get the locals no matter what I tried. I'm in Georgia now and going to see if I can get the locals here.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #44

Tennessee
Quote:
I tried getting the locals where I was (boone). I registered the S channels and was getting good sat reception on them but would NOT get the locals no matter what I tried. I'm in Georgia now and going to see if I can get the locals here.
Not sure what you mean by the "S" channels? You do have the Directv HiDef setup?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #45

Florida
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by the "S" channels? You do have the Directv HiDef setup?
Yes.

The s denotes spot beams for delivering local channels..https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_beam
Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #46

Florida
Frank,
I don't worry about my local channels because I only use my in-motion set up about one weekend a month.
However, I remember reading that when you change geographical locations, you have to call Directv and they update the S channels within your receivers for that area based on zip code. You might be able to do the same thing (I don't know for sure) by changing the zip code in the initial setup, it would save you an hour on the phone.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #47

Tennessee
Quote:
Yes.

The s denotes spot beams for delivering local channels..https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_beam
You must love those local channels. I think you may have a local weather girl you like to watch

On a side note, what does everyone think of the new menu/guide? It's way slower than the old setup, not liking it at all. I'm glad I keep the camper receiver unplugged from the internet, it still has the old blue menu, way faster for setting up.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #48

Florida
Quote:
You must love those local channels. I think you may have a local weather girl you like to watch

On a side note, what does everyone think of the new menu/guide? It's way slower than the old setup, not liking it at all. I'm glad I keep the camper receiver unplugged from the internet, it still has the old blue menu, way faster for setting up.
it's obvious you have never seen the weather or traffic girls in Miami TV! *wink*

I sometimes watch network tv for news and local weather and such.