satellite antennas - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 02:33 AM   #1

Texas
satellite antennas

I would like to hear your experiences with satellite antennas for your rv. I'm looking at the dish playmaker portable since we have dish network and a wally at home I can use. I don't want it permanently on the rv because we can also use this setup at the coast where we have a little fishing house. Does anyone use their satellite antennas on other homes?

KathyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:06 AM   #2

Oregon
I have the Tailgator for Dish. I use a 211k receiver that I take out of my house. When we get to where we are going I look for clear southern sky's for positioning the Tailgator. I also carry 100 feet of coax on a reel. I go through the setup process on the TV which takes about 5 to 10 minutes depending whether you want the program guide or not. No need to contact Dish because I don't use local channels.

I like the 211k receiver because it has a satellite out jack on the back which I connect to other TV's in the RV. Only the main TV will be HD through the HDMI cable the other TV's will be SD.

You will be able to use your portable satellite receiver anyplace you have electricity so your fishing cabin will be fine.

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

California
Go with the dish tailgater. I have directv and with my portable you cannot get HD channels. Dish can. We have friends with the tailgater. It tunes in automatically and works. It gets power from the receiver through the coax cable and is really easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Go with the dish tailgater. I have directv and with my portable you cannot get HD channels. Dish can. We have friends with the tailgater. It tunes in automatically and works. It gets power from the receiver through the coax cable and is really easy.

I have direct TV, problem is that there is not a "portable" that works with the HD ! In order to get HD, you need to have a standard HD direct TV dish (you can get them on the web for less than a hundred bucks with a tripod. Then you need to have some sandbags of something to anchor down the tripod so it doesn't slow away. Been waiting for something to come out since I'm committed to DTV here at home but there are only SD portables or an expensive something that mounts directly to the RV.

Dish and Wally are definitely the way to go. By the way, I understand the SD satellites are going away for Direct TV so you will not get them either.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #5

Tennessee
I use a direct tv dish with a special tripod that I can set up in less than 10 minutes and get full HD. But I also have direct at my house so the receiver is basically free.

A month or so back a huge limb from my neighbors yard fell and crushed my house dish. I had the tv back up in no time with my camping setup
Old 02-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I use a direct tv dish with a special tripod that I can set up in less than 10 minutes and get full HD. But I also have direct at my house so the receiver is basically free.

A month or so back a huge limb from my neighbors yard fell and crushed my house dish. I had the tv back up in no time with my camping setup
We camp in areas that are subject to up to 50 mph winds. how do you anchor against that?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #7

Tennessee
My tripod came with a tie down feature, there are several ways to do it. I just put my spare tire underneath it and strap it down or I carry a 5 gallon Lowes pail with a lid and fill it with water. It also came with a corkscrew tiedown anchor that you can strap it to. It's survived many a violent storm here. Here it is when my house dish got clobbered by the tree limb.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #8

California
Quote:

You are able to get this up in 10 minutes? That is great. Can you share your satellite dish manufacturer with me and the process to set up?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
My tripod came with a tie down feature, there are several ways to do it. I just put my spare tire underneath it and strap it down or I carry a 5 gallon Lowes pail with a lid and fill it with water. It also came with a corkscrew tiedown anchor that you can strap it to. It's survived many a violent storm here. Here it is when my house dish got clobbered by the tree limb.
That's awesome! Can you send me a pic of the back near the dish? I have a satellite setup meter and I don't think I can get it set up in ten minutes. This may be the only way I can get this accomplished with DirectTV. Using one of my home receivers (they charge an extra ten bucks a month for each receiver) will be great. I pay for local channels also.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
You are able to get this up in 10 minutes? That is great. Can you share your satellite dish manufacturer with me and the process to set up?

You will have to do an initial setup to attach the dish to the aluminum mast they give you. That stays connected to the dish and after the initial setup, you just screw the mast to the tripod after it's leveled and pointed with the provided compass and align 2 marks and you will be good to go. With Direct TV high def you have to hit 3 satellites, so it may take a degree or two swivel to get the signal, but its super easy. The site for the equipment is tv4rv.com they sell stuff for Dish and Direct tv.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
That's awesome! Can you send me a pic of the back near the dish? I have a satellite setup meter and I don't think I can get it set up in ten minutes. This may be the only way I can get this accomplished with DirectTV. Using one of my home receivers (they charge an extra ten bucks a month for each receiver) will be great. I pay for local channels also.
I'm heading out of town for a week, but I can get you something when I get back.
A signal meter won't work with the Direct TV high def. They give you a compass that snaps into the top of the tripod and you just turn it until you hit the azimuth for your zip code. Then you level the top of the tripod by sliding the legs up or down. Level is the key for picking up a high def signal. After that you just attach the dish and plug it in. They have setup videos and all the equipment at tv4rv.com
Old 02-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #12

Florida
Do you use the SWM power inserter with your dish?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Do you use the SWM power inserter with your dish?
Yes
Old 02-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #14

California
Quote:
You will have to do an initial setup to attach the dish to the aluminum mast they give you. That stays connected to the dish and after the initial setup, you just screw the mast to the tripod after it's leveled and pointed with the provided compass and align 2 marks and you will be good to go. With Direct TV high def you have to hit 3 satellites, so it may take a degree or two swivel to get the signal, but its super easy. The site for the equipment is tv4rv.com they sell stuff for Dish and Direct tv.

Thanks. I will check it out. Much appreciated. I hate SD. Especially now that everything is in HD. I pick up lots of over the air broadcasts in HD but miss DVR ability and sports and movie channels.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Direcv portable mount

Sounds like you need one of these for your directv system... Cumbersome but will stand up to 80 MPH + winds... I use one with my camper when we go out in windy situations. It is a flat roof no penetration mount that the local directv installers have... ( used to be one so I got one in case I ever needed it) Drawback is it takes 6-8 cinder blocks to hold it down in a wind and is hard to store for travelling when the dish and mast are installed... It would be easy to fabricate one if you can weld... PM me and I'll get better picture's and dimensions for any who ask.

RedBadger
Attached Images

Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Bit the bullet, purchased today. Already have the SWM power supply and the LNB. Purchased the used dish they have on sale with the heavy duty mount. there goes 300.00!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Sounds like you need one of these for your directv system... Cumbersome but will stand up to 80 MPH + winds... I use one with my camper when we go out in windy situations. It is a flat roof no penetration mount that the local directv installers have... ( used to be one so I got one in case I ever needed it) Drawback is it takes 6-8 cinder blocks to hold it down in a wind and is hard to store for travelling when the dish and mast are installed... It would be easy to fabricate one if you can weld... PM me and I'll get better picture's and dimensions for any who ask.

RedBadger
I've made them (NPM) from Aluminum angle bolted together with 1/4-20 stainless hardware. Lighter and can be broken down quickly with wing nuts.
Still need the tonnage to hold it down though. Couple five gallon extra water jugs filled will provide 83 pounds.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #18

Florida
shipping killed me... 54.00!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #19

Oklahoma
Quote:
shipping killed me... 54.00!
I was wondering what drove the cost so high. The antenna must have cost a leg also!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I was wondering what drove the cost so high. The antenna must have cost a leg also!
the tripod and "stuff" was $169.00. the modified dish was 55.00 added 10.00 for the heavy duty mount then 60 bucks for the shipping from timbuktu... the dish does NOT come with an LNB, they wanted 45.00 for theirs, amazon had it for 20. the power supply for the LNB was 10 (amazon). I wanted their tripod since it had all the adjustments and would fit in a compact carry bag. I'm wondering how I am going to power the LNB from inside the coach. I have a sat connection in two places on the RV but not sure how it's going to work.

Used DirecTV Slimline Ku/Ka Satellite Dish - SPECIAL CLEARANCE BLOWOUT SALE!!!

-OPTIONS MENU: UPGRADE TO HEAVY-DUTY AZ/EL ADJUSTMENT BRACKET 1 $64.95 $64.95
Heavy-Duty Combo Package

-Options: Please select an option 1 $169.95 $169.95
Subtotal: $234.90
Coupon: -$5.95
Shipping: $59.11
Tax: $0.00
Total: $288.06

They give a discount for ex military, a whole 5.95! The DISH is USED but modified with their tilt up LNB arm and special mount for the tripod.

I got it at WWW.TV4RV.com