Roof coating/sealer - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 01:55 AM   #1

Illinois
Roof coating/sealer

I was looking at my roof the other day and noticed that where there is a truss there is a black line as though the white has rubbed off. I wash the roof two maybe three times a year and wipe it with UV protectant for rubber roofs. It seems as though scrubing the roof to get it clean may have exposed the rubber.

If this is the case, what coating should I use to protect the roof better? I make sure it is well sealed at least twice a year and have done some touching up with sealer caulk where ever I suspect a possible leak point, so just want to make sure the membrane itself is well protected.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #2

Tennessee
My roof has had those black "truss marks" from the day I brought it home from the dealer. I wash mine a few times a year with a soft bristled brush and ignore them.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #3

Illinois
From what I am reading it is the coating that has worn off exposing the rubber to UV. We all know what UV can do to rubber tires after sitting in the sun, so I want to make sure the roof lasts until I get rid of it and be looking like new when I do so it sells quickly.

I see several brands and types, just want to make sure that I use a good one.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #4

Tennessee
My roof is TPO which is white all the way through, there's no "black layer" to wear down to.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #5

Illinois
Mine isn't if I scrub the black it just gets blacker. The caulking and other sealant is in great shape so I want the EPDM to last.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #6

Tennessee
Ah, that info would have been valuable in your original post. I'm sure someone here has recoated an EPDM roof.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Put a bead of Dicore (spelling?) self leveling sealer over the black seam. That is the same stuff you use to seal the edges, seams, and cracks. Make sure it is the correct stuff for EPDM roofs.
Check with EPDM suppliers and manufacturers for proper maintenance procedures. You may need to do nothing. It would also be a good time to ask whether the "rubber" conditioner you applied is safe for EPDM.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #8

Illinois
Not a seam, its where the roof truss crosses that it has turned black. What I am asking for is what coating would work for this. I found a few suggestions for Hengs which will work fine. Dicor makes a coating, but the prep is caustic, and Hengs doesn't require anything but a good cleaning.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:20 AM   #9

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Not a seam, its where the roof truss crosses that it has turned black. What I am asking for is what coating would work for this. I found a few suggestions for Hengs which will work fine. Dicor makes a coating, but the prep is caustic, and Hengs doesn't require anything but a good cleaning.
What ever you call it:
You can replace the entire roof.
You can put a patch over it.
You can put a bead of dicore sealant on it.
You can leave it alone.

The last one is the easiest. Check with mfg or supplier for best authority.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #10

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
There are two types of “rubber” used in the RV industry. EPDM and TPO are the types of membrane and they both use different types of sealant. You CANNOT use Dicor sealants on Alpha roofing and vice versa. It will react with the rubber in different ways and cause bubbling in the membrane.

If you could post some pictures that would be helpful. The TPO usually always has a texture to it and will turn black at the seams. This is cosmetic and will not deteriorate the membrane. You can wash it off and Alpha has a process that explains how to do it if you call them. The EPDM is generally white and over time will wear down to the black layer. If you experience this you should replace the roof system.
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #11

Arizona
I was in your situation earlier this year. Some said not to bother coating the roof, all was fine. Since most of us, myself included, are very preventive maintenance centric I ignored the do nothing crowd and sealed my roof with the Dicor 2 part coating. 24' trailer took way less than 2 gallons and it looks great! It is also cooler during the day. I highly recommend the job and the Dicor.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:52 AM   #12

Texas
C heck this out. My RV Repairman used a different brand. He washed it and scrubbed it, caulked it and used a coating similar to this. Immediately it was cooler inside and I never had a problem up until I sold it about 2 years later. My Tech stated he would guarantee the coating for 5 years and to forget calking until then. I was very pleased.
2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 AM   #13

Texas
OOps forgot to add the product.

Roll over image to zoom in

Dicor 370692 RP-CRC-1 Rubber Roof Acrylic Coating Wht
2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #14

Michigan
The roof is guaranteed for 25 years under normal conditions, your RV probably won't last that long. These are rubber roofs, not the old metal roofs that needed to be coated every couple of years. Wash it once a year and put a conditioner on if you want, seal the edges and roof vents if needed. Don't scrub the rubber of the roof by washing 2 or 3 times a year and only use a cleaner approved for the roof, Murphy's oil soap works well. If you are sitting under trees, protect the roof with a cover.

capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote