Replacing the awning - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

North Carolina
Replacing the awning

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the fabric of their awning and if it was hard, if it's something that a husband and wife could do? I know that it has an internal spring that needs to be controlled - was just trying to save 2 hours of labor charge. We have a 10" Carefree awning that is starting to get some holes in it.

2001 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3l extended cab
stepbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:38 PM   #2

Wyoming
Lots of us have replaced the canopy. Check out the following thread. My input begins at Post #10.

https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...lace-8351.html

As for instructions on how to actually do the replacement... just look up the manual on the same Carefree website.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:56 PM   #3

Alabama
If you and your wife can make through a short canoe trip and not file for divorce then you can change the awning fabric. Just be careful.
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #4

Oregon
Even us really old folks have done it

My husband and I are both just about ready to turn 70 and installed an awning a few weeks ago on our slideout on our new Aspen Trail. The trailer came with the rail installed but no awning of course. It takes a little time and muscle and enough balance to stay on the ladder holding the weight of it in place but for the $ saved well worth it. We installed a 20’ replacement on our old trailer last year & had a neighbor nice enough to help for less than 10 minutes and since it saved us a couple grand well worth it.
Ljubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #5

California
I have replaced mine twice. I have a dometic awning.. it's about 10 years old. Find the videos for your awning (YouTube). Definitely takes 2 people, sometimes a third is nice when feeding the awning into the channels. 3 things I recommend. Be sure to count the turns when unwinding the old awning. Be careful when feeding the awning fabric into the channels so you don't catch the fabric or the seems, you don't want to tear it. 3rd, don't do like o did and wind it backwards when reinstalling it. It won't work.
I ordered mine through Amazon. Pay close attention to the thickness of the new awning. The first replacement was a thinner material and did last long.
Good luck.
jsweeneyjr is offline   Reply With Quote