Replacing bathroom sink? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #1

Idaho
Replacing bathroom sink?

My 2014 Voltage 3905 uses a "free-standing" sink...the entire bowl sits ON the sink counter (perhaps a 2" inch hole is the only hole in the counter. It is clear glass. Not sure how many other Dutchmen products use a similar sink, but the clear glass is not a good choice for a camper. It picks up water spots way too easy, so we want to replace it. Has anyone done this? Will a typical type bowl from Home Depot or Lowes work fine? From what I can tell, it doesn't look like any type of proprietary connection...so, I'm thinking any similar type of sink should be an easy swap, but thought I'd put it out there to see if others have done this?

TIA

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #2

Oklahoma
You might be able to install a small sink but it will take a ton of work. I have the vessel bowl in my 3800 also. I wipe it down after each use as I do the shower. No water spots and shower cleaning is rare, even after full timing for a year, or has it been two years.

Now, my vanity has an angle in the cabinetry and the surface top is relatively small. The inside of the cabinet is partitioned at the angle making it necessary to open the partition to accomodate any sink. The sink would have to be small and shallow to fit the top and not take up all the room in the under sink cabinet.
The plumbing is normal stuff but finding a small sink might be problematic. On the angle side where the faucet is I only have a working area of seven inches from front of cabinet to wall. On the other side I might have nine inches to work with so getting a useable sink in there wouldn't be worth the effort.

On second thought, there are other types of vessel sinks that aren't clear glass. That's a 250 dollar option that will leave the spaces in the cabinetry intact.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You might be able to install a small sink but it will take a ton of work. I have the vessel bowl in my 3800 also. I wipe it down after each use as I do the shower. No water spots and shower cleaning is rare, even after full timing for a year, or has it been two years.

Now, my vanity has an angle in the cabinetry and the surface top is relatively small. The inside of the cabinet is partitioned at the angle making it necessary to open the partition to accomodate any sink. The sink would have to be small and shallow to fit the top and not take up all the room in the under sink cabinet.
The plumbing is normal stuff but finding a small sink might be problematic. On the angle side where the faucet is I only have a working area of seven inches from front of cabinet to wall. On the other side I might have nine inches to work with so getting a useable sink in there wouldn't be worth the effort.

On second thought, there are other types of vessel sinks that aren't clear glass. That's a 250 dollar option that will leave the spaces in the cabinetry intact.
Yeah, I wasn't clear...not surprising. But yes, I will replace vessel sink for vessel sink...just not a clear glass one. We also wipe it down religiously, but apparently there is a drop or two that seem to regularly drip when we aren't paying attention...as our water is occasionally hard, and so we have one spot that shows this, not to mention the occasional water drop that ends up on the outside of the bowl and gets missed. Doesn't take many to cause a spot. So, while it isn't bad, I would just prefer a non-clear bowl, but yes, a vessel one. Just wondering if anyone has had to remove their vessel bowl and can comment if it is as straightforward as it appears. I don't want to start something I can't finish because it turns out to not be so straightforward.
PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Lowe's has a nice white china vessel sink, cheap too.

I wanted to adjust the faucet because I'm a lefty and the spout was bugging me and my left hand. The panel behind the magazine rack is screwed in. Remove it and the plumbing will be there for you. From what I remember it's a normal scheme since the sink proper isn't anything exclusive to an RV.

The tail stock and trap will probably be 1 1/4 inch stuff so changing out the sink shouldn't be a problem.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #5

Arizona
If you think the glass bowl is a pain, you ought to try the polished stainless steel bathroom sink we had in our Class A Motorhome. What were they thinking!
2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS
Aztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #6

Oklahoma
We have put a coat of RainX on ours, and it has cut down on the water spotting. We do still have to wipe it out every so often though.