Replacement batteries - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 01:05 AM   #1

Washington
Replacement batteries

Hello Everyone,

I own a 2014 Denali 280lbs. Can anyone suggest lithium RV batteries that would be a direct replacement for the older ones?

Thank you in advance!!

Steveo1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #2

Florida
I think you may need to replace the charger also…

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Battle Born lithium batteries are often treated as drop in replacements. However there are issues.

One Battle Born 100 amp hour lithium in the tongue battery box of a travel trailer will work fine with a 13.6 volt WFCO charger. It can be optimized by replacing the WFC0 with a 14.4 volt charger.

Multiple Battle Born 100 amp hour lithium batteries would be the same except they may draw excessive current from the RV alternator or tow vehicle alternator. How many Battle Born batteries you could install with a direct connection depends on the capacity of the engine alternator.

You would need a B to B controller between the alternator and the batteries as well as a 14.4 volt charger big enough to fast charge the bank of Battle Born batteries.

Other brands are often similar. However, each brand may have its own requirements. Contact support for the brand for best advice.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #4

California
Replacement Batteries

I went with a BigBattery 202 ah. 10 year warranty, it's in my area, and it works excellent! I did upgrade the trailer's convertor and added a Victron smartshunt to keep tabs on the battery. Couldn't be happier! I thought about going with Battle Born but they are quite a bit more expensive.
With two 6 volts I was running the generator everyday. With the BigBattery I only run the generator every fifth day for about 3 hours.
Markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #5

Oregon
To recharge an Li battery to 100% you must replace the converter with one that charges at 14.4V. (I have Lion Energy UT-1300s that charge at 14.6, but not on my trailer.) A standard converter at 13.6 will only recharge to about 80% of the Li battery’s potential, so what would be the point? And in any case, your truck’s alternator is not designed to charge an Li battery, which may compromise both battery and alternator. But, you could however disconnect your alternator power wire at the harness, I.e., don’t charge from the truck when you connect and tow.

Some other thoughts- How will you secure your battery to ensure no one takes off with it? Invest in a separate Li charger/inverter so that you can use your Li battery elsewhere, e.g, in a power outage to keep your fridge and freezer, phones, computers, etc running. (I’ve seen 2000w pure sine devices like this on Craigslist for less than half they cost new.)
Buy a Honda 1000+ generator too and 10 gallons of gas to periodically charge your Li batteries and you’ll be set to keep your essential home devices running on battery power for more than a week!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote