Remove or Stay? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

Maryland
Remove or Stay?

Wife and I having a discussion about what goes or stays in our 213RBSL when we place in storage? The discussion is two-fold; 1) we are planning on going out one weekend a month, so during the month, what goes or stays? 2) when we store for the winter; December-February, what stays and what goes?

What would you take out for a 3-4 stay at home?

What would you take out for the winter? Winter in MD (actually Tri-State area of MD/PA/DE)

2018 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat
GTULOWITZKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

Florida
My RV is self contained and everything (except clothes) stays. we purchased duplicates of just about everything. For the food we have cans, etc. I put them in containers and seal them. Rats, roaches, etc are always a concern for an RV in storage so it's best to exercise an abundance of caution. I also put the large Damp Rid in the fridge and freezer to keep the moisture down and prevent rusting (I close the doors). They have the large containers at Walmart in the camping section. You can get it at dollar general. Pretty much my rv is ready to hit the road whenever with little to no preparation except for clothes and the wife's junk.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/damp-r...SABEgKUivD_BwE

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #3

Tennessee
Definitely take your towels out for the winter, our pet mouse made a very nice nest out of a brand new towel.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #4

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Definitely take your towels out for the winter, our pet mouse made a very nice nest out of a brand new towel.
I will just tell the wife that we need to remove the towels, but I will NOT tell her why.....LOL. I think we had remove towels and linens for the winter but leave for the month. Hope this will be safe. Thx
Old 07-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #5

Florida
I guess I have been pretty lucky about not getting critters inside the RV. I leave the bedding on the bed and a very expensive comforter there in addition to towels, sheets, etc. Also have clothes in the drawers... watch now that I have said that...
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I guess I have been pretty lucky about not getting critters inside the RV. I leave the bedding on the bed and a very expensive comforter there in addition to towels, sheets, etc. Also have clothes in the drawers... watch now that I have said that...
I leave the bedding in all winter, no problems there. I had the towels under the sink and there's a big gap around the drain pipe. I've since filled it with a stainless steel scouring pad, no critters yet...
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #7

Massachusetts
I am in New England .. so it gets cold and critters look for warmth .. I put all linen and as much as I can in plastic tubs from Target … no food left at all and a full box of the smelly dryer sheets and I put them everywhere ,,, every crack and crevice … and it smells pleasant in the spring ...
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #8

Arizona
We leave everything except food and most clothes. We don't winterize here in Mesa AZ. Good news is that coyotes and raptors keep rodents down in storage lot.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I am in New England .. so it gets cold and critters look for warmth .. I put all linen and as much as I can in plastic tubs from Target … no food left at all and a full box of the smelly dryer sheets and I put them everywhere ,,, every crack and crevice … and it smells pleasant in the spring ...
Do you leave the tubs in the camper or your house?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:39 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTULOWITZKY View Post
Do you leave the tubs in the camper or your house?
in the camper ...house is already full of crap ….
I figure if the critters can get into a plastic tub they can have the stuff
but all food and soaps and personal affects go in the house use and put new in for camping season next summer
note I also put all paper goods .. plates napkins etc in tubs so they don't use them for bedding It takes 3 big tubs to hold all I leave the tubs on the bed
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #11

Ohio
I leave most everything year round and have been lucky at this point (it’s only been two winters, so knock on wood for long term). I live in Central Ohio and the trailer lives in an exterior parking spot at a local storage unit that backs up to train tracks (which you would think would be a haven for critters).

During the season:
I leave pretty much everything except clothes (I need those at home), dirty linens and perishable (or meltable) foods. Refrigerator and freezer doors are left open a bit for air flow. The only prep for the next trip is to repack clean linens (if I haven’t already), clothes and food!

During the off season:
It’s not really that different. In addition to removing perishable foods I’ll make sure to remove any pantry food that’s been opened. Canned goods stay, some well sealed goods stay, things like chips and such will be removed. But the towels stay, the paper products stay, the hair products stay (and the liquid shampoo and conditioner survived the freezing conditions). The propane tank and portable generator get removed and stored in my garage at my house. I’ve been told I should do the same with the battery, though I didn’t last year. This year I need to remember to remove batteries from small devices (my Bluetooth level, flashlights, door entry tap light, etc.) Ultimately I had to replace them all as the winter killed them, but there’s that chance that they can leak/explode and that would be worse.

I make a few visits through the winter to monitor things. The storage facility keeps “a clean house” with regards to pest and rodent control and I haven’t had any issues to date (knock on wood again).
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #12

Tennessee
Our rig rests comfortably in the driveway at home when not on the road. When we get home all dirty linens come out, all foods get removed (including canned goods). We put damp rid in the rig to keep things a little fresher also inside the fridge. Close up fridge, plug into shore power (household 120v), turn on fantastic fan, close up rig and wait until next trip. Being snowbirds, the rig usually sits over the summer and is brought out of storage in December for our 2-3 month sojourn to warmer climes.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #13

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
I leave most everything year round and have been lucky at this point (it’s only been two winters, so knock on wood for long term). I live in Central Ohio and the trailer lives in an exterior parking spot at a local storage unit that backs up to train tracks (which you would think would be a haven for critters).

During the season:
I leave pretty much everything except clothes (I need those at home), dirty linens and perishable (or meltable) foods. Refrigerator and freezer doors are left open a bit for air flow. The only prep for the next trip is to repack clean linens (if I haven’t already), clothes and food!

During the off season:
It’s not really that different. In addition to removing perishable foods I’ll make sure to remove any pantry food that’s been opened. Canned goods stay, some well sealed goods stay, things like chips and such will be removed. But the towels stay, the paper products stay, the hair products stay (and the liquid shampoo and conditioner survived the freezing conditions). The propane tank and portable generator get removed and stored in my garage at my house. I’ve been told I should do the same with the battery, though I didn’t last year. This year I need to remember to remove batteries from small devices (my Bluetooth level, flashlights, door entry tap light, etc.) Ultimately I had to replace them all as the winter killed them, but there’s that chance that they can leak/explode and that would be worse.

I make a few visits through the winter to monitor things. The storage facility keeps “a clean house” with regards to pest and rodent control and I haven’t had any issues to date (knock on wood again).
Excellent suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Our rig rests comfortably in the driveway at home when not on the road. When we get home all dirty linens come out, all foods get removed (including canned goods). We put damp rid in the rig to keep things a little fresher also inside the fridge. Close up fridge, plug into shore power (household 120v), turn on fantastic fan, close up rig and wait until next trip. Being snowbirds, the rig usually sits over the summer and is brought out of storage in December for our 2-3 month sojourn to warmer climes.
I really see the need to keep a rig in the driveway or near the house, but my HOA doesn't allow it. They will have to for a couple days while we prep the rig for travel.

You don't travel with the rig during the summer? I guess after spending 3 months in it, you need a 9 month break.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #15

North Carolina
Smile

Our rig also resides in our driveway. It's plugged into shore power. returning from a trip, all dirty linens are removed, perishable foods removed, fridge left open, we give the rig a good cleaning, then let her rest until next time !
DebNSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Ours stays right next to the house plugged up and ready to roll at a moment's notice.

In the winter I do blow all the water out of the lines and dump a bit of RV anti-freeze down the sink, shower and toilet drains. All soft sided food comes out, canned goods can stay. However we do have a small electric heater that we leave on. If you can't/aren't going to do that I would pull the canned goods too, don't want them to freeze and burst if you get a harder than expected freeze.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:29 AM   #17

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Ours stays right next to the house plugged up and ready to roll at a moment's notice.

In the winter I do blow all the water out of the lines and dump a bit of RV anti-freeze down the sink, shower and toilet drains. All soft sided food comes out, canned goods can stay. However we do have a small electric heater that we leave on. If you can't/aren't going to do that I would pull the canned goods too, don't want them to freeze and burst if you get a harder than expected freeze.

Aaron
Thanks for the comments. How far are you from Sanford? I graduated high school there. Great place to live.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. How far are you from Sanford? I graduated high school there. Great place to live.
About 17 miles. My wife and her family are all from the Sanford area. We both went to high school in Fayetteville back in the day. We currently live north of Fort Bragg in the Anderson Creek/Olde Farm area. We have the last 40 acres of her stepdad's family farm. Area around us has changed dramatically over the past 20 years, gone from rural to suburgatory.

But it is a good place for us to home base out of. Still have a few more years to retirement, then plan to travel some. Probably a month at a time then come home. We both have traveling jobs now that keep us on the road some 180-200 nights a year. We just want to take it slower and spend more time in the places we have seen along the way.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #19

Tennessee
Quote:
I really see the need to keep a rig in the driveway or near the house, but my HOA doesn't allow it. They will have to for a couple days while we prep the rig for travel.

You don't travel with the rig during the summer? I guess after spending 3 months in it, you need a 9 month break.

During the summer I’m into my other RV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9396.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	4853
Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #20

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
About 17 miles. My wife and her family are all from the Sanford area. We both went to high school in Fayetteville back in the day. We currently live north of Fort Bragg in the Anderson Creek/Olde Farm area. We have the last 40 acres of her stepdad's family farm. Area around us has changed dramatically over the past 20 years, gone from rural to suburgatory.

But it is a good place for us to home base out of. Still have a few more years to retirement, then plan to travel some. Probably a month at a time then come home. We both have traveling jobs now that keep us on the road some 180-200 nights a year. We just want to take it slower and spend more time in the places we have seen along the way.

Aaron
I lived in Sanford 1979-81. Hope to see you on the road someday. My mom and brother still live in NC (Montgomery and Cabarrus County). Planning on some trips down there and get mom out of the home some to enjoy nature. I took early retirement from State of Delaware but still working similar job in MD where we live. We plan to fully retire in a couple of years too.

Happy Camping!