Rear Storage Bumper Squished - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Ohio
Rear Storage Bumper Squished

Hate it when I screw up. I had attached a 2" receiver adapter to the rear square storage bumper so that I could carry a bike rack on it. It is one of those that has two U-Bolts that wrap around the bumper. Well, all was good till after this last trip I noticed the adapter had loosened up. So I tightened up the bolts and then installed a second nut on each of the threaded studs. Got to the campground and I couldn't get the sewer hose to slide out. I can get a hold of the one end and I guess remove the fitting so that I can hopefully push it out the other end, but don't want to mess with this each time.
Obviously the U-Bolts compressed the walls of the bumper. Any suggestions on how I might expand the tube again so I can get the hose to slide in again??

It's always something.

Should have bought the one with that has a big square plate on the other side instead of the one with U-Bolts.

sprdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #2

Illinois
Well, hate to say it, but that thin square tubing makes for a very poor hitch mount location. If the squishing tells you anything it's that all it is there for is to keep the back from getting banged up. Unless you added some structural support at each frame member where it attaches, you could lose the bumper while traveling. This is the reason the receiver came loose in the first place.

I would recommend taking the trailer to a welding shop and have the replace the bumper with something a bit stronger and weld some gussets to the frames where they attach, then you can drive worry free with the bikes flopping around back there.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Florida
Mount-N-Lok has a bumper storage. I use their 2x2 aluminum platform for a place to mount a storage box.

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/mnl-car...ent-bumper-kit
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #4

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Mount-N-Lok has a bumper storage. I use their 2x2 aluminum platform for a place to mount a storage box.

Thats a good idea, looks nice and sturdy. A lot less work than replacing it with heavier steel and having a welding shop weld it up. That might even work on my Coleman. The frame is an H style and the under hooks that are out there for securing the tube wont work, but looks like the clamps for this one will.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Thats a good idea, looks nice and sturdy. A lot less work than replacing it with heavier steel and having a welding shop weld it up. That might even work on my Coleman. The frame is an H style and the under hooks that are out there for securing the tube wont work, but looks like the clamps for this one will.
I like the fact that it has a different method to keep the hose in the bumper. Also, I purchased the bumper reinforcement hangars just in case. drilling through the frame is not easy.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

Illinois
Quote:
I like the fact that it has a different method to keep the hose in the bumper. Also, I purchased the bumper reinforcement hangars just in case. drilling through the frame is not easy.

Tell me about it, I took one look and said, nope, not gonna do it after installing the same clamp on receiver as the OP. My trailer has the Kodiak package which is the insulated belly, and there is foam everywhere, so welding is out unless I remove the foam. I still have to install the JT Strongarms, and haven't done it yet. Now after seeing this, I am considering it too. I can mount my Champion back there. Since it is only 85 pounds, it wont mess with the TW.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 AM   #7

Utah
Quote:

Has anyone used their GennyGo™ RV Bumper-Mounted Generator & Cargo Carrier Trays with Support Arms (Aluminum) on the standard 4x4 bumper without any additional welding?
Considering welding a hitch receiver between the two I rails on the chassis, but this may also be an option if it can hold a generator or my Traeger without dropping it on the freeway somewhere.
51phiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51phiveoh View Post
Has anyone used their GennyGo™ RV Bumper-Mounted Generator & Cargo Carrier Trays with Support Arms (Aluminum) on the standard 4x4 bumper without any additional welding?
Considering welding a hitch receiver between the two I rails on the chassis, but this may also be an option if it can hold a generator or my Traeger without dropping it on the freeway somewhere.
He's got to replace his bumper first since he "squished" it.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

Utah
Quote:
He's got to replace his bumper first since he "squished" it.
Yeah....I kinda figured that I wouldn't try what he did right off the bat. I have researched the notion of welding a hitch receiver to the frame and bypassing the tube all together. This product seems like the way to bypass doing that and using the existing tube.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Me! But I can't do anything "by the book." I didn't like how far away from the trailer the different trays/shelves sat (from a moment (rotation) force on the bumper perspective). And I still wanted to cover the generator, both from the elements and from prying eyes.

I bought the gennygo arms. I bought a heavy duty plastic shelf unit (where each shelf holds 1,000# if I remember correctly). I bolted it all together on the bumper. I had to move my spare tire over to make room. This also meant I was able to mount this close to the bumper support (where it's more secure).

I mount the generator on the shelf back near the trailer (the closer to the bumper the better). The housing doesn't get hot at all, so there's no need to unmount the generator during use (though the vibration can be annoying).

Edit: And the ratchet strap and cable lock go around the bumper as well as the shelf ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_185934.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	4904   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_202345.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	4905   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_210729.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	4906  
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #11

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Me! But I can't do anything "by the book." I didn't like how far away from the trailer the different trays/shelves sat (from a moment (rotation) force on the bumper perspective). And I still wanted to cover the generator, both from the elements and from prying eyes.

I bought the gennygo arms. I bought a heavy duty plastic shelf unit (where each shelf holds 1,000# if I remember correctly). I bolted it all together on the bumper. I had to move my spare tire over to make room. This also meant I was able to mount this close to the bumper support (where it's more secure).

I mount the generator on the shelf back near the trailer (the closer to the bumper the better). The housing doesn't get hot at all, so there's no need to unmount the generator during use (though the vibration can be annoying).

Edit: And the ratchet strap and cable lock go around the bumper as well as the shelf ...
I hear ya...I'm not a "by the book" either, at least when it comes to adding/making attachments. Thanks for the pics.

Those arms just attach to the 4x4 tube and not to the frame. The weight of the generator while in tow, and the vibration doesn't put stress on the L welds and the tube like the OP talked about?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
I hear ya...I'm not a "by the book" either, at least when it comes to adding/making attachments. Thanks for the pics.

Those arms just attach to the 4x4 tube and not to the frame. The weight of the generator while in tow, and the vibration doesn't put stress on the L welds and the tube like the OP talked about?
Weight is weight and you need to keep an eye on those welds, period. But the force exerted on the bumper can vary greatly depending on your mounting method.

Here were my theories, take them with a grain of salt:

I wanted to spread the load on the bumper as much as possible. Many of the hitch mount shelves only attach to the bumper in one place … putting ALL of the weight and bouncing at that one spot. Many of the hitch modifications use the dual U-bolt connections, which then further restrict that force to two very small points on the bumper structure. The Mount-N-Lock system uses two arms, halving the point loads on the bumper and those connection points are flat top and bottom, spreading the load from two points to a 4” square area at each point (or something like that). (Think of the mark a ladies high heel makes in linoleum vs a men’s dress shoe heel.)

I wanted to keep the weight load close to the bumper. The further the distance from the connection point to the weight load the higher the twisting force on the bumper. Many of the commercially available shelves hold the load almost two feet away from the bumper, my solution holds it inches from the bumper.

I also wanted to keep the load close to the connection between the bumper and the trailer. Again, the larger the distance the larger the effect the load has on the connection. (Think of a wrench with a small handle vs a wrench with a breaker bar … the distance provides more force).

I also opted for the 2kw generator instead of the 3.5kw generator. It operates my little trailer and it’s little air conditioner unit and is half the weight of the 3.5kw that I was initially eyeing.

I’ve had it in service now for two seasons and see no weakness in the welds or twisting in the bumper (ie, my sewer hose goes in and out easily).

Your mileage may vary.

(attached is a clearer picture of the arm itself as I was in the measuring/planning phase.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170507_180244.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	4908  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #13

Utah
Awesome...thank you for the explanation.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Awesome...thank you for the explanation.
That's a Mount N Lock product... by the decal on the bracket. I use the aluminum trays and put a locking storage compartment on the back with the bumper braces also.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #15

Ohio
Quote:
That's a Mount N Lock product... by the decal on the bracket. I use the aluminum trays and put a locking storage compartment on the back with the bumper braces also.
Yep ... I gave credit in one paragraph, but thought repeated use would make me sound like a salesperson ... but I do like their products at this point!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Yep ... I gave credit in one paragraph, but thought repeated use would make me sound like a salesperson ... but I do like their products at this point!
LOL... I have recommended them to several folks that have used them with great success.