Rand McNally Ripped me off - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Rand McNally Ripped me off

SO I purchased the Rand McNally RV GPS app for my Ipad in 2015 cost me $105.00. Used it until today. It no longer functions so I sent a tech support email request to Rand McNally for help. I received a reply stating they no longer support that software and I can get my money back from I-tunes. It boots up looking for an update then locks up at that point since there is no update to be had. Called I-Tunes, sorry, can't help you it's over 90 days. Called Rand McNally and they told me to go get screwed and not in a nice way. Rude and inappropriate woman on the phone was just a b-t-h,,, unbelievable. This was the last Rand McNally product I'll ever buy.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:55 AM   #2

South Carolina
We bought the 5" RMcN GPS, then later only the 7" was available. We use the Good Sam software, when the GS site is up and running. We build trips and import them into the GPS. Very quirky, it has taken some time to get all the bugs out. Now, checking the Camping World website, I see that it's Magellan, not RMcN, who has the Good Sam links, sites, and camping info. CW must have dropped them. Seems to me this company has stepped on it. I'll keep using it now that it's working, but when it goes, there will be no love lost!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Arizona
I mean no offense, really. However, why people buy stand alone GPS units is beyond my comprehension. I have an Android phone, with Google Maps, that works as well as any GPS. Plus, it is a phone, computer, camera etc. Sorry for your lousy treatment, it is absolutely horrible.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
This one was set up to enter rig height, length and weight and did a really good job navigating for us. It run on my iPad and I was happy with it. I like google maps but doesn't take height into consideration, at least I haven't figured out how to do it if it does.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

South Carolina
As a life-long "techie," I've tried several approaches. Yes, I had one of the first Droid phones, and used it for GPS, and also to Bluetooth music into the vehicle sound system. The whole thing would get overloaded and have to be re-booted if a phone call came in while doing the other two functions.
My new phone seems more capable, but in the interim, I bought the GPS. I did so because of the dedicated RV features (height, turn radius, other factors) and most importantly, to link the trip I planned at home on the Good Sam site with the GPS. There is always something to be said about a dedicated, one-purpose tool, vs a multi-use approach.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

California
Hey REAL men don't need GPS, we navigate by the seat of our pants or dead reckoning.
Now don't ask me if it's ever got me in trouble.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:24 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
I had a camper buddy stop through on his way home to FL over the Labor Day weekend. I was giving him a hand drawn map on how to get back out to the interstate, because it is a new road and not on a lot of the data bases yet.

He told me that he had two smart ass phones, a stand alone GPS, truck GPS and a nagavator in the right hand seat.

I can see the value in a true stand alone GPS system that doesn't depend on a cell signal to operate (I know you can download Google Map Routes now). I like the concept of knowing bridge heights, but I always take the easy way out and follow the truck routes. I do use RV Parks & Campgrounds App and it has low clearance bridges listed. It is also available for the fruity fones too...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:16 AM   #8

Florida
I use a stand alone Garmin and have for quite awhile. It has a nice screen and is accurate and very seldom gets confused plus lifetime free updates. My first was a tom tom and it stayed confused I finally gave them away as they were useless.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:50 AM   #9

Colorado
Well, I have 3 Garmin GPS units. A Zumo 660 that mounts in the truck or in the Polaris General. Then 2 Garmin Rino 655t...which are the only GPS units know of that are radios, texting devices, GPS, geo-tagging cameras and the only ones I know of that allow me to start at stop tracks whenever I want to...which when mapping the outback for future knowledge is very helpful!!

Garmin BaseCamp is an excellent piece of planning, saving GPS software. Its free, is more of a database than an application. So connect the GPS or set a route or waypoint...no saving, and no losing!

I'm just starting to use Google Earth Pro...its free now...and using it for trip planning. I can see a route in a rally flyer or trail book...then search for it in Google Earth Pro...and find out if its really worth doing! Have been on a couple of "challenging off road trails" that were basically a gravel road! LOL!!!

Have a interest in android tablets with bigger screens, but finding on that will allow me to use what I consider useful software...is still in the "looking for" mode.

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote