Raising a voltage for more ground clearance - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #1

Kansas
Raising a voltage for more ground clearance

Just curious if anyone knows why just putting maybe and inch or two spacer between the axle and the leaf spring is not a good idea to raise the camper up. From what I have researched the suggested method is to weld tubing to the frame to space the spring mounts farther down. I have a broken spring and am going to replace them all which should help some but was thinking about spacers and longer u bolts also. Would be much cheaper than welding tube on frame. I am working on 2013 Voltage 3200, axles are already under the spring and I have already raised the pin box up as far as it will go. I almost feel the gap between camper and top of pickup bed is to close at 6" but also have read that 6" is ok. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

Arkansas
New heavier springs with more arch is the best way to lift it but if you do use blocks under springs make you only use cast iron or steel blocks aluminum is NOT strong enough and will crush

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Wyoming
Just something to keep in mind when raising the rear of your rig. It's not a big deal for normal RV's... but for toy haulers, solving one issue ends up creating a different one.

That is, as you raise the rear of the rig higher off the axles, your ramp angle increases almost exponentially in proportion... making for a very STEEP entry & exit
when loading & unloading your toys.

I found this out when I installed the Correct Trac system on my axles a few years ago. Installing it raised the rear of my rig about 2", but the unintended consequence was that higher ramp angle.

Now, that can be mitigated somewhat by simply raising the nose with the landing gear each time you load & unload... but it is a factor to consider.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 AM   #4

Kansas
Hmmm good point. Never thought about that.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:27 AM   #5

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottxpc View Post
New heavier springs with more arch is the best way to lift it but if you do use blocks under springs make you only use cast iron or steel blocks aluminum is NOT strong enough and will crush
Do you feel like this method is just as good as going with the welding the tubing under the frame to raise it? Would for sure be cheaper but someone shared with me that he knew of one that had stronger springs put on and the frame broke.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #6

Arkansas
Yes the springs that come on them are not heavy enough to begin with I bought my rig brand new drive it 275 miles from dealer where I bought it back home and on first trip out broke one factory spring and other 3 were bent they were 6 leaf springs and were flat on the trailer with hardly any weight in it I replaced them with 8 leaf 4000 lb springs they raised it a good 4 inches
Old 06-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #7

Kansas
That is exactly what I wanted to do to mine until I read that someone did that and ended up with a broken frame.
How long ago did you do that to yours?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Anything you add to the bottom for more clearance equates to less clearance above. Eleven feet and some inches already has a pucker factor so adding a few more inches will increase that as well.

Just another thing to consider along with the increase in ramp angle.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #9

Arkansas
I did it in July 2017 literally 2 weeks after buying the unit after 400 miles on unit 275 of which were the ride home from the dealer. The factory springs are not even close to heavy enough when they are completely flattened after one trip with hardly anything in the trailer and putting proper springs to carry the weight can not cause frame damage it had to be something else .
I have since had the Moreryde independent suspension installed on my unit and would never own another trailer without it it's far superior!
Old 06-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

Wyoming
Since it appears you're still searching for a remedy... as I mentioned, I installed the Correct Track system on my rig a few years ago to do just that. Although it's main purpose is for axle alignment, my purpose was the added height.

If you want a pre-made kit that's relatively inexpensive, and can be installed pretty easily (provided you have the space & tools required)... then this is it. I've had it on my Voltage 3200 for over 3 years now, and have had no issues with it.

Here's a link for it on the Lippert website... and although it can be purchased through them, I'm pretty sure I bought mine for a bit cheaper on Amazon.

https://store.lci1.com/correct-track...sion-alignment
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 AM   #11

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Since it appears you're still searching for a remedy... as I mentioned, I installed the Correct Track system on my rig a few years ago to do just that. Although it's main purpose is for axle alignment, my purpose was the added height.

If you want a pre-made kit that's relatively inexpensive, and can be installed pretty easily (provided you have the space & tools required)... then this is it. I've had it on my Voltage 3200 for over 3 years now, and have had no issues with it.

Here's a link for it on the Lippert website... and although it can be purchased through them, I'm pretty sure I bought mine for a bit cheaper on Amazon.

https://store.lci1.com/correct-track...sion-alignment
Very interesting, That looks pretty slick. They say it raises the camper 2"
so since I am also reading that the factory springs are not strong enough so wondering if I would be ahead of the game to put the heavier springs on and the select track system. I could put this all on myself and the price is very doable. Thank you
Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 AM   #12

Wyoming
Springs are a matter of either preference or need. Some have had bad springs from the factory, and had to replace... others just wanted extra support.

I'm going on year 7 with my stock, OEM springs (the last 5, full-time) with the rig constantly loaded to either max GVWR, and/or slightly exceeding it... and to date (knock on wood) have never had an issue with mine. In addition to a 1,500 lb tool cart I keep in the garage, I used to also carry a 1,000lb Goldwing as my toy. Slightly less weight now with BMW R1200GS... but still near max weight.

Do whatever you'll trust, and feel comfortable with...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #13

California
I realize we are a small sample size but it sure seems to me that ATC Guy is the exception or at least in the minority with the reliability he has had with his springs and suspension. Obviously, more people are going to post comments about problems than those without any so it is hard to draw any real conclusions but I do know there are several of us here that have had varying degrees of problems and issues with the factory set up.

Personally, I if I was going to go through the trouble of upgrading some parts of my suspension I would absolutely do the springs, shackles and hangers too.

Again, I don’t doubt for a second that ATC Guy has had a reliable history but IMO too many of us have had problems.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #14

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Springs are a matter of either preference or need. Some have had bad springs from the factory, and had to replace... others just wanted extra support.

I'm going on year 7 with my stock, OEM springs (the last 5, full-time) with the rig constantly loaded to either max GVWR, and/or slightly exceeding it... and to date (knock on wood) have never had an issue with mine. In addition to a 1,500 lb tool cart I keep in the garage, I used to also carry a 1,000lb Goldwing as my toy. Slightly less weight now with BMW R1200GS... but still near max weight.

Do whatever you'll trust, and feel comfortable with...
Your unit being older may have had better springs on it mine is 2 years old now bought new in 2017 and the springs on it could not even handle the trailer empty 14,600 lbs right off dealers lot
Old 06-16-2019, 02:57 AM   #15

Kansas
Mine is a 2013 tandem axle. Just bought it and one spring is broke and other 3 are shot. I want to go with 8 leaf 4000lb springs just trying to decide if I need to reinforce the frame or just come up with heavier spring hangers or what to do so it doesn’t happen again and the frame won’t be compromised
Old 06-16-2019, 03:55 AM   #16

Oklahoma
I just did a spring leaf replacement but it still leans a little to the right. Mine is a 2015 and the factory springs were noticeably flatter. It did raise it an inch or two as now I busted the shroud on my bedroom a/c. I am now looking to replace this unit with a lower profile 9.5" but am fearful of what I am getting into. Don't want to high jack the thread but has anyone done that and which dometic or other band would be compatible so I am not cutting a new opening and wiring harness hopefully the same and similar output.
hullflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:58 AM   #17

Idaho
Driving around the country with a 13'6" tall Voltage 3600, we came across some overpasses that were too low or uncomfortably low to go under. I would think twice about raising the trailer.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #18

Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D8AB6ED-FFFD-486A-A4D0-616E41561B0D.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	5503

I would not recommend putting the correct track on a 3200. The frame is not strong enough to support the added lateral stress. My frame twisted and cracked above the spring hangers about 5000 miles after installing it. I can provide more info on what I did to fix this if interested.
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #19

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its4 View Post
Attachment 5503

I would not recommend putting the correct track on a 3200. The frame is not strong enough to support the added lateral stress. My frame twisted and cracked above the spring hangers about 5000 miles after installing it. I can provide more info on what I did to fix this if interested.
I had the same problem with my 3605 that's why I went to moreryde
Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #20

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its4 View Post
Attachment 5503

Yes very interested please.