Raising a voltage for more ground clearance - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #21

California
I have a 2016 Voltage 3605. First trip over 500 miles I noticed my springs flattening out. Installed new OEM 7 leaf springs.Took a trip to Colorado and snapped a spring which inturn demolished my correct track and Equflex systems. It also caused my frame to bend at the spring mount on the main frame. After deciding to keep the trailer versus a total loss, I contacted Lippert. Apparently Lippert manufactures various frames, hangers and springs that are stronger then the stock suspension Dutchman company was using to build the Voltages. Lippert came out to my house and installed steel cross members from on side of the frame to the other behind both axles. Also installed heavier and longer leaf spring supports for added height. Apparently due to the stock suspension being to light, the trailer main frame rails flex to point where eventually causes to much stress on the leaf springs, mounts, and frame. The system is called a suspension upfit kit. I also went to a 8 leaf higher rated springs. Between the suspension up fit and new springs it game 4 inches more of ground clearance. The trailer ride is more stiff, but I rather have a safe system under me than the piece of crap I purchased new from the dealer. Hope this long winded story helps.

dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #22

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Yes very interested please.

I had a trailer shop straighten the frame and weld new fish plates above where the spring hangers were. They then created a 'sub-frame' out of steel square bar stock which was welded below the existing frame. The sub-frame extends forward and backwards from the front/rear axles about 2 feet for support. To the sub-frame they welded stronger spring hangers and then welded square bar cross members running side-to-side between the spring hangers.

I then replaced the OEM springs with new springs that matched the OEM specs along with a MORryde heavy duty wet-bolt kit with extra thick shackles.

Finally, I installed a disk brake kit which utilizes 9/16" wheel studs instead of the 1/2" studs that came with the OEM drum hubs.

Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #23

Kansas
Very nice
That is pretty close to what I am thinking about doing. I am still trying to decide if I am going to add the tubing under the frame or just do bigger hangers like maybe 12” or longer and attach the cross braces to those.
Had not thought about the disc brake kit, what kit did you use for that?
Also what size was the tubing added under the frame?
Thanks for sharing very helpful
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #24

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Very nice
That is pretty close to what I am thinking about doing. I am still trying to decide if I am going to add the tubing under the frame or just do bigger hangers like maybe 12” or longer and attach the cross braces to those.
Had not thought about the disc brake kit, what kit did you use for that?
Also what size was the tubing added under the frame?
Thanks for sharing very helpful
The brake kit is a performance trailer braking kit.

The square tubing appears to be 2” by 2”. The spring hangers are the same length as the original ones. I only wanted to raise it 2” at the axles, which brings the rear up almost 4”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA064BBA-F1B5-48B3-9669-9F23B387D594.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	5515   Click image for larger version

Name:	E18F67B9-BC26-4750-82B3-4B51752029DB.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	5516   Click image for larger version

Name:	6CC120EC-14CC-424B-9CA3-27A3D38F9041.jpg
Views:	261