Questions, questions, questions!!!! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2017, 02:00 AM   #1

Indiana
Questions, questions, questions!!!!

Brand new rv owner here! I bought a 2015 Coleman Lantern 192rd without a manual. Questions I have -

1) anyone know if the manual is online anywhere or can be purchased?

2) I am trying to unwinterize but having trouble figuring out the water system. I found two valves (I had been told to look for 3) inside under the sofa - anyone know where the 3 are located specifically? Also, after draining and then doing the bleach sanitizing and flush, refill of the fresh water tank, I refilled about 1/3 full. There seems to be way too much air in the system still with very choppy water pressure. Any help with the heater and getting the water system operating correctly would be appreciated!

3). How do I know how tight to make the sway bar friction lever? Can I do it too tight?

4). I was told by several people to NOT use the 4 stabilizing jacks to level the trailer. If I don't use those, how DO you level?

5). Is there a rule of thumb for how often to dump the black water tank? Do you empty after every trip/usage or wait until it reaches a certain level? I would think you wouldn't want it to sit there for say a month between trips?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Jpochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:41 AM   #2

California
3. Tight enough to keep the sway down, trial and error. Do not want it to tight.
4. Jacks one and each corner to keep it level and comfortable no rock and roll.
5. Should dump at the end of each stop, or when full if it gets that way while at your stop. Then put a couple of gallons back with good tank chemicals as your drive. Do this for both tanks.

Sorry can't help with the water valve set up. And might be able to find a manual online. Or someone here also might be able to let know where to get it. Google search or other search can also help.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:20 AM   #3

South Carolina
Winterize? Time to get it ready! Regardless, my water heater also has only two valves. One cuts off the cold water input to the water heater. (Cold is a blue line) The other allows water to bypass the heater, and allows flow from blue to red. In normal operation, the input is open, and the bypass is closed. During winterization, when you want to bypass the heater, the valves are reversed. The idea is so you don't flow the pink stuff (antifreeze) into the water heater.
As for the sway friction, just use one good strong hand on the lever as equipped. No extension, no throwing your whole weight into it. They told me how far to go, and it always made a lot of noise. I've learned to go about 1/8 turn less than advised, and it works fine, without barking. Yes, too much friction will lock it up, and break the little ball off the frame when you try to turn. But you'd really have to heavy-hand it to get that far.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:27 AM   #4

South Carolina
As to your leveling question, it goes like this: Pull into your campsite the way you think you will park. Stop, get out, and use a bubble level to check the side-to-side level of the trailer. I do this by opening the door, and measuring at the center of the interior floor. If one side is lower than the other, raise it by moving back or forth, and putting a board, or plastic leveling block under the tire on the low side. More if required. This is for left-to-right leveling.
Then go ahead and block a wheel, and unhook from the tow vehicle. (TV) Use the tongue jack to level front to back, using the same level in the center of the floor, but turned 90 degrees. Now lower the stabilizing jacks until they just grab, and raise the frame maybe 1/4 inch. Check all 4, then check the bubble level again. A level camper is more comfortable, slides, windows, doors all work better, and most important, the refrigerator does not cool efficiently if not level.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!

Attached is a copy of the owner's manual. Pretty generic but might be a of some help.

4) The stabilizers are just that... stabilizers, to keep the trailer from rocking around when parked with you in it. To level follow Marty's directions. I used Lynx Levelers for the side to side and the tongue jack for the front to back leveling.

5) Your call... after every trip is fine, however MAKE SURE to add plenty of water to it prior to dumping so you get a good flow out of it, if it is only 1/3 full add more water before dumping!

I use the Geo-Method for keeping my tanks clean. I use it every trip on the black tank and a couple of times a year on the gray tank(s).

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015_Dutchmen_Owners_Manual.pdf (2.18 MB, 124 views)
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #6

Indiana
Thank you very much for the answers. Although I mostly plan to camp at places where the pads will be pretty level, I was out the past 2 nights at a county park campground which was more primitive and not level. I think we found the manual online for the water heater which has been very helpful. The maiden voyage in this compact trailer with 2 adults and 2 preschoolers and no hot water went pretty well all things considered! I managed to back in between several trees, a picnic table, electric stake and water dump site. It wasn't pretty, but I didn't have a spotter (I was there before the others), so I'll take it.

Does anyone know of a screen room attachment made for this unit and the awning?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Which awning do you have? There are quite a few different ones out there.

Aaron
Old 03-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Which awning do you have? There are quite a few different ones out there.

Aaron
I'm not sure of brand. It's manual, about 10' long, 7' deep.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpochard View Post
I'm not sure of brand. It's manual, about 10' long, 7' deep.
The Dometic makes a full line of screen rooms and such. I haven't had a screen room since my popup camper about 10 years ago. We typically use a stand alone screen room over the picnic table, then just have the awning over the side of the camper.

Aaron
Old 04-01-2017, 12:55 AM   #10

Indiana
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #11

Colorado
Everyone says there are 3 levers and that's what mine has as well. However I helped a friend wintererize his trailer las fall and we searched high and low for a "3rd" lever". He only had 2. We turned both wintererized and all is fine this spring when he brought it out to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:12 AM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Everyone says there are 3 levers and that's what mine has as well. However I helped a friend wintererize his trailer las fall and we searched high and low for a "3rd" lever". He only had 2. We turned both wintererized and all is fine this spring when he brought it out to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ones with two valves have a one way check valve in the heater output.