Question about upgraded mattress option - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Oregon
Question about upgraded mattress option

Hello all,

We are about to take possession of our 2014 Denali 287re and we had a question. On the cut sheet for the rv, it lists an upgraded mattress to the tune of $335.25. I have looked at and layed on this mattress and it appears to be your standard cardboard filled rv mattress.

So the question for the group is did anybody buy the upgraded mattress option and if so, what did you get as a mattress and how do you feel it compares to the base model?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. We will more than likely by a new mattress regardless, but we don't want to pay for something we are not receiving.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sknoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #2

Louisiana
Better Mattress

I'm sure you have made your decision by now, and am curious which way you went and what your satisfaction is.

IMHO, for $300 ... go pick out the mattress you want from what ever store you like. Don't trust you'll be satisfied with an "upgraded" RV mattress.

The standard mattress that came in my 2100 was crap that compressed to the point it felt like I was sleeping on the wood frame underneath in just a few weeks (I'm only 130 pounds). I picked up a Coleman air mattress which is infinitely more comfortable!

Be sure to measure what size you will need! Dutchmen advertises the 2100 comes with a queensize bed. A standard queen is 60" wide, the mattress that came out of here was 54" wide (full size).

"Cherise" 2001 Harley Sportster 1200 C
Vagabond Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

Nevada
I don't think you get a choice. My upgraded cardboard came in the "Mountain package." Along with things like your power awning. I don't think you get to pick and choose.

I am trying to figure the weight of the mattress so that I can feel good about the 125 lb king foam bed in a box matress without a big hit on tongue weight. Got any idea on weight?
renojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Gypsy View Post
Be sure to measure what size you will need! Dutchmen advertises the 2100 comes with a queensize bed. A standard queen is 60" wide, the mattress that came out of here was 54" wide (full size).
You have to be careful, whether Dutchman or not, some RV's have RV sized mattresses and some have residential size. That was actually one of things were checked before buying, an RV size mattress was a deal breaker.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

Wyoming
My Voltage Epic II package included a "deluxe memory foam mattress". About the best thing I can say about it is... well, yeah it had a 'memory'. But the memory was to completely collapse in the center within about 15 minutes of me laying down each night. It got so bad that I actually bought & installed small garage door handles on the wall beside my bed to grab hold of when I wanted to get out of bed.

A few weeks ago, I went out and bought a TempurPedic mattress and had it installed. Wow... what a difference!!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
DW and I are with you Tom. The mattress we got with the trailer was replaced after only being used a couple of times. CW had an upgraded mattress that we purchased in Burlington, Wa.- donated the old one to the big red container behind CW. The upgraded mattress was not any better as I'm sure we only had five sleeps on it and it would have to go. We were able to give that mattress away to a young family with an old MH that they were going to rebuild. We now have a Sleep Number bed, it's a lot lighter to haul and we both get a good night's sleep. I was able to hide the air compressor in the basement of the camper and run the hoses up to the mattress.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #7

Oregon
Update

So our salesman assured us that the mattress was the upgrade version. He also would not remove and give us a discount. So we just purchased a new mattress. We ended up buying a California king memory foam mattress from amazon. Honestly, it was one of the best purchases I have made in some time. The mattress was $580 delivered and is just as good and comfortable as the 2k plus mattress we purchased from Relax The Back store last year for our residence.

As to size, we chose the cal king as it was the correct width for the 287re, but it is about four inches longer. I had originally thought I would compress it with a strap, but that proved to be too difficult. I can get the slide closed with it in the down position, but it is a bit tight and pushes the bottom of the slide out slightly.

As I said, compressing it proved to be harder than I thought, so I abandoned that idea. What I ended up doing was replacing the gas struts with some that have 150lb rating which allowed me to lift the bed and leave it in that position for travel. I also replaced the hinged board under the bed to extend it a few inches to better support the mattress. It has worked well so far. I still need to make some adjustments, but so far I am quite pleased.

As to the tongue weight, it has had no ill effects. Actually we haven't even full loaded al, of the storage in this thing and so far we are under the stated tongue weight.

Hope this helps
Sknoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #8

Nevada
Thanks for your comments. Mine measures 76x80 Standard), as opposed to Cal King 72x 84. The Eastern fits perfectly and is snug against the dresser. Since my tongue weight is up to about 1100 lbs with nothing up front but propane, battery and power cable I don't want to add weight. I had a memory foam queen in the last trailer and loved it. I havenn't loaded anything in yet as it is tied up in the shop until the first for slide seal repairs. Good lick with your new 287 RE.
renojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #9

Arkansas
The memory foam mattress that came with our Voltage appears to be 11 inches thick. We are fairly happy with it but always looking for something that sleeps better.

I did a google for California Memory Foam Mattresses and find that that come various thicknesses. I like what I read about Sam's Club 14 inch Deluxe Grand Memory Foam for $614.00.

I am wondering how thick are the Memory Foam Mattresses that you guys are happy with?
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #10

New York
Steve....just bear in mind....sometimes it is the density of the foam and not the thickness!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #11

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Steve....just bear in mind....sometimes it is the density of the foam and not the thickness!
Very good point.
I did not know how complicated it is to choose a mattress.
Here is the break down of the Sams Mattress. I thought they were just one big hunk of foam.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #12

Wisconsin
My 297RE Coleman TT came with the upgraded mattress. One night was enough for us. Three layers of some kind of recycled material. Feels kind of like a plastic pot scrubber. Looks like it too. About as comfortable as a gravel driveway.

I removed the two outside layers of the filler material, about 2" each, leaving the 4" core which seems like the same material. I replaced them with a 4" memory foam topper from Walmart. Fit back into the original mattress cover. Quick fix for around $100.00 that at least saved the season.

Dutchmen/Coleman will not, replace it. Personally, I think what I have is a show unit mattress look alike. I can not believe it is something they would knowingly put in a new trailer.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #13

Oklahoma
The old original mattress in my Jayco actually made a crunching sound when we first sat on it. The new "memory foam" heated mattress in my Voltage is not bad. Its a bit hard for my taste, but still fairly comfortable. Could probably put a mattress topper on it and be good.