Propane Tanks must be OFF when Driving - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Wyoming
Propane Tanks must be OFF when Driving

I posted this information in another thread but I think it bears repeating as a new thread.

Some research regarding running your propane while driving unearthed some interesting information. Here in British Columbia and I suspect in all other jurisdictions as well it is unlawful to do so.

The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations require that the appliance tank valves be closed when your RV is moving.

Our provincial Gas Safety Branch also recommends valves be closed when the vehicle is moving.

Here in BC the Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) now has the authority to stop any vehicle for safety, including speeding, and issue tickets. They are responsible as well for RV safety including requiring RV's to stop at weigh scales if requested. I have seen signs out at the scales saying, "All Recreational Vehicles Please Report to Scales".
That would not be a good time to turn off your propane tank or find you're overweight.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #2

Arizona
Too bad you got so many regulations up there. I run my propane to keep my fridge cold and there are no laws on the books to stop me. One other thing, the cops in the US must have a verifiable violation of the law BEFORE they pull you over - it's a matter of constitutional rights. They can't pull you over to look for a violation.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
One other thing, the cops in the US must have a verifiable violation of the law BEFORE they pull you over - it's a matter of constitutional rights. They can't pull you over to look for a violation.

I was referring to when they post signs that RV's are required to report to the scales. The CVSE can pull you over anytime for a safety check though.

This information is useful to people who wish to travel here in Canada. Similar information to that which forbids propane tanks in some of your tunnels and bridges.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #4

Arizona
Sorry, I wasn't aware you were posting a PSA for Canadian travel. When you mentioned "other jurisdictions" I thought you were including the US.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't aware you were posting a PSA for Canadian travel. When you mentioned "other jurisdictions" I thought you were including the US.
This would be good law for the US as well probably. The only burned and burning RV's we've ever seen on the side of the road were in the US.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
This would be good law for the US as well probably. The only burned and burning RV's we've ever seen on the side of the road were in the US.
Hi Wanderer,

You must not make it through the Canyon that often, there is usually at least one a year going up in smoke.

About six years ago a Class A started a forest fire just south of Cache Creek, shut the highway down for a few days.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Wyoming
I do but fortunately I've not come across any burning ones here. I hate seeing this no matter where we are. Note also that just because we have this law not everyone knows about it or follows it. Hence this post.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
And the causes were due to propane? Please cite your sources. I've seen plenty of cars burning that were not any where near propane.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #9

Wyoming
azdryheat, I'm just thinking that this would be a good idea for safety. All the burning ones I've seen you could tell were or were made worse from propane. I understand that electrical fires are common as well.

On another thread in a discussion similar to this someone mentioned an excess flow shutoff at the regulator but I've done a bunch of research and can find nothing on these. Perhaps this is why BC has legislated that valves be closed during transport.

I'm just posting this for information, each RV owner has to make the safety decisions for themselves based on common sense and laws WHERE they are traveling. Remember that ignorance of a law does not excuse you from the consequence of that law.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

Oklahoma
The excess flow valve came along with the ACME nut that connects the gas line to the to the tank. I'm not positive but the regulator may have that safety valve installed as well.

Case in point, a buddy of mine was having gas flow problems when he had the refrigerator on gas, the water heater on gas and the heater. There wasn't enough flow because the valve was sensing excess flow and shutting down.
He took it to the RV repair shop and fixed his problem. They replaced the ACME nut with the standard POL nut.

Sometimes the things that protect us don't always work so well.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

Oklahoma
So then, if a refrigerator catches fire will there be excess flow to shut the burner down? In a normal sense it won't because only so much gas will flow through the orifice. Normally the gas lines under the refrigerator are aluminum so it would take a lot of heat to melt them. If, on the other hand, the rubber gas line burns through somewhere then the valve will activate. But then, it's kind of late but a catastrophe could be prevented
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
azdryheat, I'm just thinking that this would be a good idea for safety. All the burning ones I've seen you could tell were or were made worse from propane. I understand that electrical fires are common as well.

On another thread in a discussion similar to this someone mentioned an excess flow shutoff at the regulator but I've done a bunch of research and can find nothing on these. Perhaps this is why BC has legislated that valves be closed during transport.

I'm just posting this for information, each RV owner has to make the safety decisions for themselves based on common sense and laws WHERE they are traveling. Remember that ignorance of a law does not excuse you from the consequence of that law.
The nice thing about RV-ing in the US is the lack of government intervention and I'd like it to stay that way. I'll continue to run my propane to keep my refrigerator/freezer in operation. I really don't want things to thaw when temps in the trailer hit triple digits while traveling in the desert southwest. BTW,are American RV's in Canada subject to those safety road blocks you're talking about?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Sometimes the things that protect us don't always work so well.
You are talking about government, right?
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I have seen many, many vehicle fires... made worse by that large tank of highly flammable gasoline attached to the frame, so do we ban driving with it? What about those big rigs with a couple of hundred gallons of diesel on board? I have seen overpass bridges compromised because of the fire caused by diesel burning. BTW diesel is a combustible not a flammable.

"Safety" is subjective. Too many laws, regulations and "rules" are knee jerk reactions to a single incident that many times can be traced to human error. "Can't fix stupid" and the corollary to that is; "You cannot legislate morality or personal responsibility". Many times the regulations are not based on hard facts.

Could the LP systems on RV's use some improvement? Absolutely! However as designed and installed they are safe under most conditions. If properly maintained and used the risk of fire is very small.

I stepped into my camper yesterday and it was 112°F inside... I tow with the LP on, if I had a generator I would try to figure a way to tow with the AC on too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
The nice thing about RV-ing in the US is the lack of government intervention and I'd like it to stay that way. I'll continue to run my propane to keep my refrigerator/freezer in operation. I really don't want things to thaw when temps in the trailer hit triple digits while traveling in the desert southwest. BTW,are American RV's in Canada subject to those safety road blocks you're talking about?
The Commercial Vehicle safety guys can stop anyone on the roads, they usually set up at the scales and focus mainly on the 18 wheelers, commercials and buses. I have only ever seen one "safety road block" in 50 years driving in BC and they were checking everyone for lights, horn and wipers. If they found a defect in any of those they pulled you over and checked everything.

A couple of weeks back I saw one pull a camper over at the Costco lot, he was going through that rig when we got there and 45 mins later when we came out of Costco, he was writing up a some of those nice blue papers. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that this guy needed to be stopped for his own good as well as everyone else on the road. This guy must have been riding on the rear bumpstops and you could see the positive camber of his front wheels.

This is not a common occurance, but these guys have the same powers as the police. I for one am glad they are out there, since they started cracking down, we aren't seeing as many runaway trucks killing people.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #16

Wyoming
Quote:
BTW,are American RV's in Canada subject to those safety road blocks you're talking about?
Yes they are, that is why I posted this. It is incumbent on anyone traveling in another jurisdiction to know the laws as they apply where you are. We have a saying in law here that ignorance of a law does not protect you from being charged. I believe that applies everywhere.

In reality though a tourist from out of province or country probably would just get a warning unless the safety violation was serious. It is certainly not a draconian society we live in.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:27 AM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Yes they are, that is why I posted this. It is incumbent on anyone traveling in another jurisdiction to know the laws as they apply where you are. We have a saying in law here that ignorance of a law does not protect you from being charged. I believe that applies everywhere.

In reality though a tourist from out of province or country probably would just get a warning unless the safety violation was serious. It is certainly not a draconian society we live in.
Nicely said Wanderer.....
To our US Neighbours:
Welcome to BC please turn off your propane in your RV when traveling ; please leave the pistols and rifles at home and enjoy the higher fuel costs and increase in the value of US dollar.
Enjoy your stay.
Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #18

Arizona
Quote:

Perhaps if the title to this thread included "in Canada" I wouldn't even have bothered reading as my wife and I decided we only RV in the US. Anyway, enjoy all of your regulations up there. lol
Old 07-13-2014, 12:57 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Perhaps if the title to this thread included "in Canada" I wouldn't even have bothered reading as my wife and I decided we only RV in the US. Anyway, enjoy all of your regulations up there. lol

You must mean you only RV in the lower 49 states...or you get to Alaska from Seattle by ferry. As the only way to drive to Alaska is through Canada and mile zero of the Alaska Highway is in downtown Dawson Creek in the province of British Columbia...which is in Canada...you folks must get out more and see all your great country.
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 AM   #20

Wyoming
When we travel in the US we are more than happy to observe any and all US regulations and laws. We appreciate the different geographies you have and yes, even the differences of opinions. azdryheat, if you choose never to RV in Canada you are only robbing yourself of some great experiences.