Picking up new vs 3005 - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #21

Nevada
No contest here. Like I said don't know about ford but know about dodge. Differential are exactly the same on 3500 as 3500 as well as brakes trans etc. this is discussed all of the time on ram forums. One difference is the additional spring is on top of the spring pack with bump stops on the frame but that's it.

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #22

Nevada
Just made the trip back from reno to smith nevada. The road back is hwy 395 that is located on the east side of the Sierra nevada and boasts some of the strongest winds in the country. Tonight's forecast includes wind gusts of 70 mph and more. Today while traveling back with the addition of new springs made substantial improvement. reduced air pressure in my bags from 60 to 30lbs. Improved ride and stability in the wind. this afternoon's cross winds were 15 to 25 mph. Very pleased with results!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #23

Nevada
Made another trip to reno last night wanted to see with new springs how it would tow without any air in the air bags. Amazing handled like a dream. Can't say enough on the improvement with new springs. I sure when I load my store in the garage 2400lbs I will add air to air bags
Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #24

Maryland
I have had my V3005 for just over a year and love it. I have pulled it about 4500 miles now and the only issues I've had was a few water leaks from loose water fittings. Someone never gave them a final crank to tighten them. The only other complant is the same as yours, the lack of heat out of the vents, it seem like I get more outside out of the exhaust than inside. The only mods I've done really is some lights under the awning, and a 2" lift kit to try to level it out to the truck, I run the big rig rims.
hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #25

Nevada
Have towed this one about 5,500 miles since October and like love this rig. We use in our business and will go down the road about 22,000 miles this next year. Have made a couple 32 inch flat screen in the bedroom and 40 inch in the living room. Also relaxed kitchen faucet. Next will be surround sound and satellite. Hear in bedroom and garage more than weak but living room and bathroom work very well. Just spent several days in reno, nv temps in the mid teens. Carry two electric heater for garage and bedroom. Turned off heater at night in the bedroom. Curious about lift and what you used as our trailer goes down the road nose high. Also curious what you use to tow your rig with. This is our third TH but one really stands out. Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #26

Maryland
I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 dually with Big rig rims. I used a product called Correct Track to do the lift. It was designed to help with alignments but has a benefit of 2" of lift. I did this because a friend of mine works on rv's and told me that I would shorten the life of the fridge dramatically going down the road at such an angle so I did this kit and lowered the pin height so now I am only about 1" low from front to rear. I still have 5 1/2" of bed clearance and that seems to be plenty, have not hit yet and I have been into some crazy campgrounds. This is my first 5th wheel, my old camper was a pop up, talk about a change My wife decided that she wanted to start camping and the pop up was not cutting it. I got 2 tv's to go into the bedroom and the toy area, just have to get mounts.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #27

Nevada
Did you install correct trac yourself. Where did you purchase.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 AM   #28

Maryland
I did install it myself in my driveway, with the help of my 9 year old son ha ha, in about 2 nights. The hardest part was drilling the 9/16" holes for the extra bolts to keep it from shifting, plumbing pipes were in the way for 2 holes. I bought the kit from a local camper place that a friend of mine owns. I don't remember what I paid. All my friends thought it was funny doing a " lift kit" on my camper since that's what I do for a living. It was not a hard job, just a little time consuming.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 AM   #29

Nevada
Where did you purchase and how much. Do you still have stock tires and also have you had any problems with slide outs?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #30

Maryland
I got them from a local rv repair place that a friend owns here in Aberdeen, Md. I don't remember what I paid but I think they list for about $275. I do still have the factory tires, for now, and have no plans to change then till they wear out, I will then go to something with a stronger sidewall. As for the slides, doing this made no change in them. I noticed no major change in how it pulls, except when backing up, but I feel better knowing that both axles have equal weight being put on them. It seemed like the rear axle had more weight, by looking on the tires, especialy when the bike and golf cart are where in the back, now tire sidewalls bulge seems equal.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #31

Nevada
This sounds like something I need as I regularly haul about 2200 to 2500 lbs of stuff in my garage. Really appreciate info. Didn't mention one other upgrade I did was to change to deep cycle 6 volt batteries which I have done with previous units Thanks again!!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #32

Maryland
No problem, glad I could help. Also glad there is another person on here that has a V3005, it seems everyone else has the much larger models. I've done a few other little things on mine, led taillights, awing lights, gel bed topper, bathroom vent cover, and a few other little things. Next are plans for a drain holder, I saw on this form using plastic fence post, jack braces [ tired of the wobble when I'm trying to sleep] and a few more little things. I just have to wait till it gets a lot warmer here.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #33

Nevada
Down to 2 below zero a couple of days ago here and the high today around 30. Will warm up to the mid 50's by Wednesday. Yeah will givee a chance to wash the outside of the rv for a working trip down to the San Francisco area. Same here everyone seems to have the very large rigs. In fact, when we bought this one had to travel 575 miles to buy as local nevada dealers do not stock this model. We changed our bed for an Icomfort by sealy. Like a temperpedic but has gel incorporated so as not be hot. Liked it so much wife had to buy one for the house. Makes it nice though to have se beds in the house as well as the rv.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #34

Maryland
We bought ours at an RV show near our house, we went just to look as we were going to buy a used one but they made us an offer on this one that I couldn't refuse. They said they sold 15 of these that weekend. I had been looking and the used one I liked was 6 years old. The payments on the new one was only $50 more a month and the insurance was cheaper on the new one so you do the math. Very glad with our choice.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:49 AM   #35

Nevada
Funny we were looking at a used 2012. Initially the people that owned it were a thousand dollars less than we paid for our new one. Also the used didn't have the slider between the garage and living room and didn't have the cassette pull down screen not to mention the four chair recliner couch of which we really liked. Made several offers of which I am glad they didn't accept. Like I mentioned there were no new units that were in our area. Oh well