Parking in grass - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 12:18 AM   #1

Missouri
Question Parking in grass

Anyone have any tips for keeping mice out if I'm going to parking in a hay field for a few months? I'll mow as short as possible before hand. I've heard the wive's tales about Irish Spring, but are there any proven methods or suggestions?

woody2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #2

Oklahoma
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Cab-B...ty!74465!US!-1

Mice will eat soap, they will use dryer sheets for beds but they don't like this Cab Fresh stuff.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Plug holes equal to or larger than a pencil.
Clean up all available food and store in vapor sealed or metal containers.
An open box of mothballs in unoccupied spaces such as in engine compartment.
Some people put mechanical traps around wheels and jacks.
Poison bate boxes at entry points. Open display of bait is a bad idea in most places. Children, pets, and endangered species get into it.
I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #4

Illinois
Irish Spring, they don't like the smell, but mothballs don't bother them one bit. I watched them walk right over the bag like it wasn't even there. Stuff steel wool in the openings and don't have anything hanging down that they can climb like the chains. Get some Silo plastic beer cups and slice them in quarters and make a cone to go around the jack so that they can't get up it. That just leaves the tires that they can climb, so kill the grass around them. You can try placing the mothball bags on top of the tires, but like I said, I watched them walk right over them.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Irish Spring, they don't like the smell, but mothballs don't bother them one bit. I watched them walk right over the bag like it wasn't even there. Stuff steel wool in the openings and don't have anything hanging down that they can climb like the chains. Get some Silo plastic beer cups and slice them in quarters and make a cone to go around the jack so that they can't get up it. That just leaves the tires that they can climb, so kill the grass around them. You can try placing the mothball bags on top of the tires, but like I said, I watched them walk right over them.
My AC company stuffed steel wool in an AC pipe area. I had more mice than I could believe. I used COPPER SCOUR PADS and that seemed to work better than the steel wool (which rusts by the way).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #6

Colorado
I park mine is a grass field next to my house. Since I started using Fresh Cab, I haven't seen one sign of a mouse in my RV.
https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Bot.../dp/B00L236OMW

2017 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2004 F-250 Super Duty King Ranch
paul5097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:35 AM   #7

Illinois
Brillo pads are good, the soap kills them.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

Minnesota
Mice. August 2018: new 2018 Aerolite, storage in our yard near a stand of evergreens and oaks on a rock base, the polar vortex (extreme cold in winter of 2018-2019) = major rodent damage in the trailer's first winter with us. Did all the smell stuff and poison. This is my third trailer, so I am not new to trailers or critters. The critters got up into the roof and destroyed the A/C ducts and insulation. Insurance did finally cover the nearly $4k in repairs, but the trailer was in the shop for two months while they dropped the ceiling and rebuilt the ductwork. Last fall I had "Mousefree" sprayed on the underbelly. Not cheap, but no critters this past winter. This past winter was was milder, however. Still did the smelly stuff inside the trailer, outside kitchen, storage areas. This spring I crawled around underneath the trailer. The "sealed underbelly" had a half dozen holes in the frame and around electrical conduit that a mouse almost could walk through upright. Steel wool and silicon caulking applied in abundance. Now hoping for the best. Should I store it off site? Would it make a difference in a pole barn or storage shed? Maybe, don't know. Good luck. The critters are out there everywhere.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #9

Illinois
Knock on wood, 4 years storing in the barn and not one mouse incursion. When I did have an incursion, was right after moving it outside, but found the little fooker right away and evicted with extreme prejudice, tossed it out for the barn cat, told her she missed one. It came in through the power cord which had fallen to the ground.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:43 AM   #10

New York
Agree with Sundancer and Paul; Fresh Cab works best. You can buy it at a Tractor Supply (TSC)

NYVOLTAGE is offline   Reply With Quote