One for the WTH file - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Oklahoma
One for the WTH file

Having lived off the grid for nearly 20 years I've had the pleasure to learn all the quirks of propane refrigerators. I had a range of gas refrigerators from a 50 year old Servell to a unit made in Monterry Mexico to a modified White Westinghouse residential with a purported Amish cooling unit and a few in between.

The WTH comes from my 12xx Norcold making me believe it was time to change out the cooling unit. Several months ago the ole box didn't want to get cold. It stayed around 50 degrees inside the lower unit, regardless of on gas or electricity or the ambient temperature. I emptied it, shut it down and opened the doors.

I found a place close by in Arkansas that builds and rebuilds cooling units and can build me a new 12xx unit for less than 700 hundred bucks and I can pick it up. Touted as the best unit out there so of course I was pumped.

Last week I needed some R&R time on the beaches of Mexico so I just went away. I came back and decided just for the hell of it to fire up the Norcold. To my happiness the thing bounces from 29 to 31 degrees in the lower portion on the number 5 setting. Ambient temps have been ranging here since I've returned but the unit has maintained as it should.

I've heard all the options of getting one working again, including turning them up side down to burp them. That won't be me trying to flip a four door because that trick rarely worked. I'm thinking the unit may have vapor locked if that is possible. What with the hydrogen and water and ammonia being heated and circulated constantly for over a year it could be possible for a fart to build up in the circuitry, who knows. I'm just glad I don't have to buy a battery to get the scooter out of the garage and remove the chock and pull the refrigerator and take it apart. For now that is! I wouldn't mind a side trip to Arkansas though

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I think the damned things work on black magic, maybe while you were in Mexico you had the right combinations of Tequila to invoke the proper spell on it.

I have successfully "burped" a few smaller ones over the years, not so lucky with the larger ones.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

British Columbia
That's called the reset proceedure isn't it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
That's called the reset proceedure isn't it.
Well yeah, I was definitely reset
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote