Now what Dutchman???? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Now what Dutchman????

I wonder how Dutchman would call this problem? Poor maintenance on the owner's part, not storing the rig properly or too many folks in the rig at one time???
Big slide ceiling and wall and some more spots in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_103954 (2).jpg
Views:	371
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	3072   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_104004 (2).jpg
Views:	380
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	3073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_104020 (2).jpg
Views:	366
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	3074  

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
What the heck? Is that water or blisters?

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Not water or water intrusion, more of a blister with nasty pointy tops. Not something you'd want to rub your face on, the points are solid and very sharp.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

British Columbia
Is there any give to the blisters when you press on them? Have any of them penetrated completely through the finished surface?

I would bet on a moisture problem causing some kind of reaction to the glues and chemicals that are used in manfacturing the panels.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Nope, no give to them. It's almost as if there is a contaminant growing beneath the covering and lifting it as it grows. Moisture on the ceiling would be difficult and even in the middle of the wall would cause question.
I'll find the spot in the garage again and if it isn't in an open area I might try and cut a small portion out of the disease and see what's under it.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

Wyoming
I guess your rig's finally hit puberty, and has developed an acne problem. Maybe that Proactiv stuff they sell on TV is what you need...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Nope, no give to them. It's almost as if there is a contaminant growing beneath the covering and lifting it as it grows.
I'm thinking the same sort of process happening that happens when you have efflorescence on cement wall. It's not that it needs alot of water to cause to growth, it just needs enough to get the process started.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I'm thinking the same sort of process happening that happens when you have efflorescence on cement wall. It's not that it needs alot of water to cause to growth, it just needs enough to get the process started.
I'm with you there but the wall is Luan I think. If the covering was bubbling off the wood I'd say the glue gave up the ghost but these little points are a mystery. It's almost like there was sand on the wood but worse than sand.
Probably a crappy manufacturing process, they knew is was for an RV so it only had to last a year
Old 04-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I guess your rig's finally hit puberty, and has developed an acne problem. Maybe that Proactiv stuff they sell on TV is what you need...
I'm ok with puberty as long as the zits don't start ooooooozing stuff and scabbing over
Old 04-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
I'm with you there but the wall is Luan I think. If the covering was bubbling off the wood I'd say the glue gave up the ghost but these little points are a mystery. It's almost like there was sand on the wood but worse than sand.
Probably a crappy manufacturing process, they knew is was for an RV so it only had to last a year
No dout the wall is Luan, but I'm thinking of some sort of reaction to the chemcals and glues that is used in manufacturing the wood. Who knows what kind of noxious chemicals are used in the manufacture of Luan, given that most of it comes out of China now.

Do you remember the Moon Rocks from the fifties. You get those neat little rocks that laid there and did nothing until you put them in Isinglass and boom they started expanding and growing stalagmites. I'm thinking the same sort of thing could be happening under the finished surface.

I will be very interested in hearing exactly what the problem is.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #11

Alabama
Uhhh ohhhh. I've seen this EXACT problem in our Keystone Hornet. Happened about 2 yrs into ownership. And it was from a water leak. Though it wasn't leaking in the wall. It was leaking around the slide.

About 6 months after those raised bumps like what you're seeing, we noticed a soft spot in the floor. Next came mildew and then came black mold. ......
Moodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #12

North Carolina
wow, that REALLY stinks ! that looks like the water damage i had in the cyclone i just traded ! mine was much worse, and in more than one wall ! took it EVERY place I could find a repair shop. not one was willing to work on it! said that the new campers where filled with glue and can't take the wall apart from the inside.
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #13

Oklahoma
I guess time will tell what it is.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #14

North Carolina
i had " 1 " bubble the outside only. maybe the size of your fist... when i asked what it was and what to do about it, i was told to get it in the heat, and it will dry out. we took a 4 week trip to florida in mid July.. got worse ! soon as we got back i had 5-8 spots on the outside , now both sides of the camper. all would come and go with heat. and both sides in the inside.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #15

North Carolina

Name:	IMG_3249.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	3089

Name:	IMG_3379.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	3090

Name:	IMG_3390.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	3091
Old 04-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
i had " 1 " bubble the outside only. maybe the size of your fist... when i asked what it was and what to do about it, i was told to get it in the heat, and it will dry out. we took a 4 week trip to florida in mid July.. got worse ! soon as we got back i had 5-8 spots on the outside , now both sides of the camper. all would come and go with heat. and both sides in the inside.
I hope it wasn't your dealer that told you to "get it in the heat." All that would do is turn the walls into a pressure cooker as the moisture evaporates and expands the gap between the wall materials. Then as the water vapors condense it again it has a larger gap to find it's way to the low point.

There is only one way to resolve moisture problems, find the leak and stop it, then it needs plenty of moving air and venting the moist air to the outside. Unfortunately the only way to repair moisture in the laminated walls is to sacrifice the wall.

Once again I'll say it, a moisture meter is an RV owners best freind.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #17

North Carolina
"sacrifice the wall"

what do you mean exactly ? the complete wall inside and out ?

great advise on the meter. told some of my camping buddys to grab one too.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
"sacrifice the wall"

what do you mean exactly ? the complete wall inside and out ?

great advise on the meter. told some of my camping buddys to grab one too.
Never had to get to the outside wall, but if you have a moisture problem inside the wall, you have to get air into the cavity to dry it out. If you've caught it quick enough that you don't have a mold and mildew problem look at it as a great oppourtunity to install that feature wall you always wanted.

The mold and mildew problem is probably the reason you can't find an RV shop willing to take on laminate wall repairs. Add to that the unseen damage that progressed into the floor, makes it hard to even estimate the repair bill so the customer can make an informed decision.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #19

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Never had to get to the outside wall, but if you have a moisture problem inside the wall, you have to get air into the cavity to dry it out. If you've caught it quick enough that you don't have a mold and mildew problem look at it as a great oppourtunity to install that feature wall you always wanted.

The mold and mildew problem is probably the reason you can't find an RV shop willing to take on laminate wall repairs. Add to that the unseen damage that progressed into the floor, makes it hard to even estimate the repair bill so the customer can make an informed decision.
Exactly! It's weird to me how those bumps in the wallpaper ended up being our first indication there was lots of trouble ahead.

And it was our experience that this cannot be fixed. Keystone ended up buying our TT back. - it well they didn't write us a check, but we were able to give it back to the dealership and walkout w/ a brand new Kodiak for less monthly payment and same length in loan term.

Perhaps your leak isn't too late to fix but I'm betting you've already got floor damage that you're unaware of yet.
Moodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #20

Quebec
Quote:
I wonder how Dutchman would call this problem? Poor maintenance on the owner's part, not storing the rig properly or too many folks in the rig at one time???
Big slide ceiling and wall and some more spots in the garage.
I had this happen to me once. It had been caused by water that had gotten into the wood freezing. It spiked out of the wood.

Are you by any chance located up north? If thats the case take a hard look at your scellant you probably have a leak.

I fixed the leak, made sure it was dry and fixed the wall with a clothes iron set to low temp.

2017 Softail Slim S (FLSS)
HudsonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote