non-ethanol gasoline sources for generator storage prep - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2020, 02:32 AM   #1

New Jersey
non-ethanol gasoline sources for generator storage prep

I know this has been discussed before, but can anyone suggest where to purchase gasoline without ethanol?

My plan is prior to storage:
1 - drain the ethanol laden fuel from my generator gas tank, fuel lines and carburator
2 - flush the fuel system by running the generator with a small amount of pure gasoline and stabilizer mixture.
3 - completely drain the system before I put it into storage.

Any and all constructive comments would be welcome and appreciated...

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #2

California
I live in So Cal so I don’t have to put my trailer in storage and I always make sure to run the generator every 4-6 weeks for an hour with a load on it to keep it running. But I have started putting stabilizer in my fuel whenever I fill the tank just to be sure I am safe. That same tank fills my toys so now I know everything has stabilizer in it all the time and I don’t have to worry about fuel deteriorating on me in case 20 or so gallons sit in the tank for a long time or that a quart or so sits in my toys.

As far as finding ethanol free fuel I don’t know what to tell you but I do know that some high octane fuels don’t have it. In CA it is required for parts of the year but not sure what other States require. If you can find a place that sells unleaded race fuel you could always put a few gallons in a can and use that too.

But the bottom line is I think if you run stabilized fuel before storing your rig I think your generator will be fine.

But I could be wrong. [emoji3]

Old 02-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #3

New Jersey
Thanks for the reply.. I have been using full tanks with Stabil for years with great results. Used Seafoam this summer and let the gen sets sit without starting them and messed up the carburetor on one of them with solid deposits. For what its worth, having a service shop replace the carburetor cost just about half as much as a new Champion 2000 Watt generator.
I'm certainly going back to using Stabil, but wanted to avoid the same problem with my new generator.
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #4

Florida
Here's what I do - and I've previously had my share of fuel/carb problems with generators: run the generator 'til it completely runs out of fuel. Then, put in about 8 ounces of Stihl MotoMix chainsaw fuel (available for instance at Ace Hardware) and re-start and run the engine 3 - 4 minutes - long enough to be sure the 93 octane MotoMix is completely through the system and carb, then shut it off. Yes, there is 50:1 oil in the MotoMix - perfect - you want some additional oil in the system prior to storage. And yes, MotoMix is 'expensive,' but what did the last carb replacement cost you in time, and money? MotoMix has a shelf life of YEARS.
SilverHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

New Jersey
That sounds like a great Idea !! I Never would have thought of that.. I suspect that the humidity, which is the real problem with ethanol is the culprit, and I'd be willing to bet that Sarasota levels beat NJ humidity but not by much..

Thanks
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #6

Wyoming
You know, I guess I've just been lucky...

I bought this rig new in 2013, and promptly filled the generator fuel tank full (30 gals). Now although I have dry camped a few times (mostly overnights in Wal-Mart parking lots, or maybe a couple of 2-night stays elsewhere)... I'm a full-hookup RV site guy for the most part. As such, my Onan generator gets used very little.

In all the time I've owned it, I've only put fuel in the tank 3 times. That's THREE TIMES in what will be 7 years this April.

- I filled the tank right after I bought it

- I topped it off about 2 years later (less than 20 gals)

- I filled it again after using the generator for an extended period of time during the floods in NC following Hurricane Matthew in 2016

And in all that time, I've never poured a drop of StaBil into the tank. I've never used any special non-ethel fuel, and I've never winterized it (I've been full-time since mid-2015).

Yet every time I go to start her up... which I just did earlier this morning during a local power outage... she purrs like a kitten after just a few turns of the starter motor.

Now, I do exercise her somewhat regularly. About once every 2 months or so, I'll start her up & let her run for about 10 minutes or so... and about once every 6 months, I'll disconnect from shore power, and run her under load for about a half-hour.

But that's it. Mine's been pretty much maintenance free. In fact, I've only changed the oil & filter in it once, and that was 2 years ago.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:36 AM   #7

New Jersey
I get your point ATCGuy. I guess the simplest thing to do would be to start them up once a month and load them up every couple of months... I was just looking for a way to store them with minimal effort.

The humidity in our "neck of the woods" is the major problem. If you let them sit too long the fuel absorbs moisture, and forms a corrosive gum.

The problem seems to be the worst with lower output generators that have smaller carburetor orfices..

All the best
Allentown, NJ
Old 02-12-2020, 12:50 AM   #8

Florida
We have a small private owned station by us diesel and ethanol free only
We use 93 octane in triton,atvs mower generators everything if you can’t find it by
You go to your local marina get it there or see who their fuel supplier is
We run ours a few hours a month and I put 5 to ten gallons in at
A time keep it fresh. We use race jugs easy to carry easy to fill
Hope this helps all our best fla
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #9

California
Not the perfect solution for everyone but I use 100LL aviation fuel in everything I have that doesn't have a catalytic exhaust system.. chain saws, leaf blowers, Harley, Model A, steam cleaner, portable generator etc..
AVGAS has never had alcohol in it and (other than a small amount of TEL), only has a colorant and odorant added.
Owning a vintage plane, it's easy for me to get. That stuff can sit for well over a year and not go bad or cause any corrosion problems. You're winterized all year long
JTMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 PM   #10

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime RVer View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but can anyone suggest where to purchase gasoline without ethanol?

My plan is prior to storage:
1 - drain the ethanol laden fuel from my generator gas tank, fuel lines and carburator
2 - flush the fuel system by running the generator with a small amount of pure gasoline and stabilizer mixture.
3 - completely drain the system before I p
ut it into storage.

Any and all constructive comments would be welcome and appreciated...
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Here is a link that tells you the closest ethanol free gas is. It’s all I use in my small engine’s.
cdesero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #11

Illinois
Find a place near you that sells Trufuel, https://trufuel50.com/where-to-buy/

This is what you are looking for if there are no stations near you that sells E-Free fuel. Costs about $8 a quart though, but for what you are looking to do with it, you can probably seal the can and use the rest next year.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #12

Ohio
My Generator in my Class-C runs off the gas tank. When I winterize I fill the tank to the top and add stabilizer. I then run both the engine and Generator for about 5 min to clear the lines of non stabilized gas I added a shutoff on the fuel line to the genny so while it is running I shut off the fuel and let the genny run dry.
has worked in 2 RVs over last 12 years here in Ohio.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #13

Colorado
Try this site: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NJ

2017 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2004 F-250 Super Duty King Ranch
paul5097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:42 AM   #14

Alabama
Usually any Marina will have alcohol free fuel.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #15

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul5097 View Post
Hi Paul & JTMD
Thanks much for posting the list.. I purchased a 5 gallon can of ethanol free gasoline from a speed shop. Not cheap by the way
I noticed a small airport was on the list, and JTMD suggested aviation fuel, so I checked with our local airport and found I could buy lightly leaded 100 octane aviation fuel, which is ethanol free. It cost about 1/3 of the cost at the speed shop..

So the solution is simple, before I put the gen sets up for storage, I drain the ethanol gas out and run the gen set for a few minutes on the ethanol free gas with stabilizer.

Thanks again to all for their input.
Allentown, NJ
Old 03-16-2020, 03:49 AM   #16

Ohio
Lowes sells qt and gal cans of Ethanol free gas with stabilizer already mixed in.

Expensive at $15 a gal

They have both two-cycle and 4 cycle gas at about the same price.

For my small engines I pump the gas out. Pour in a cup orso then run the engine till all the gas is gone. Doing this for 3 years and no problems.

My gas RV takes 50 gal I fill the tank completely to get as much air as possible out and miz in Stabil at the gas station . by the time I get home to storage gas and lines are well mixed with Stabil. Again no problems in 3 years.

Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote