No Brakes - Dutchmen Owners
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 12:03 AM   #1

Alberta
No Brakes

No Brakes hooked up to the 5 th wheel and pulled it out after the winter and no brakes the truck is good and the trailer had brakes when we parked it checked fuses none blown no idea where to go from there 2009 den 38 RG

steve and Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #2

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve and Melanie View Post
No Brakes hooked up to the 5 th wheel and pulled it out after the winter and no brakes the truck is good and the trailer had brakes when we parked it checked fuses none blown no idea where to go from there 2009 den 38 RG
Not trying to be an ass, but… help us help you. Punctuation works wonders when asking for assistance. I had to re-read your post 3 times to figure where one sentence ended, and another began.

Ok, moving on… issue could be a few things, including:

- rusted assemblies locking things up
- corroded or fouled pin connection on either the truck or RVs electrical pigtail
- loose, broken, or disconnected ground wire
- loose, broken, or disconnected power wire
- issue with the truck’s brake controller

If you’re comfortable with checking electrical issues, I’d recommend getting out your test-light, and verifying you have power coming from your truck’s pigtail receptacle. You can find diagrams on which pin is the brake by doing a Google search. If that’s good, then I’d begin checking the wiring on your rig… verifying you have juice to the brakes.

I’m sure others will chime in with suggestions as well. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #3

Florida
If you can get the wheels off the ground, apply power to pin number two on your trailer connection, that will set the brakes. If that works, look to your controller or look to see if there is a corroded connection at the trailer connector.

Frank
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #4

California
I would try to eliminate the tow vehicle first. Is there another tow vehicle you can just plug into the trailer and manually squeeze the brake controller level to see if they work? You donít even need to hook up the trailer and tow it to test as you can have someone stand near the trailer wheels and they will hear the electric brakes activate and should also see the trailer brake lights come on.

Or, an easy way to check your current tow vehicle is while your trailer is plugged into the bed use a multi meter on the plug at the bumper and see if you get power where supposed to.

Do the turn signals and other lights come on?

Does the tow vehicle acknowledge that it is plugged in to the trailer when you connect it like most newer tow vehicles do?

Does the tow vehicle brake controller work if using it on another trailer?

Those are steps I would try to determine if it even is the trailer at all or the tow vehicle then you can attempt the suggestions pointed out above.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:47 AM   #5

Illinois
Check for mice, they love to chew on wires. How good is your hearing? If you can hear high frequency sounds, Not dog whistle high, but audible high, then pull the breakaway cable out as if the trailer got disconnected, then walk around to each wheel and listen for it. If you can hear a high pitched sound at each wheel, then put the breakaway pin back in, and go around again. If you no longer hear it, then the brake electrical is good. You can also hook up and do a pull test with the breakaway pulled. This will eliminate the trailer as the issue. If you don't hear the sound, or the tires aren't dragging, then start at the battery and work you way back. If there is a disconnect switch, you will find that there is a wire between the disconnect and positive post which is for the breakaway system. Start troubleshooting from there and work your way back. Check there is +12v at the breakaway, if so, good, then move to the left front wheel which is where the 12V+ from the breakaway and truck will be, If you don't have power at that point, you have a wiring issue. Not all manufacturers will wire on the street side to the brakes, but you can easily determine that by the connection, there is only one feeder wire, the other side are inside the axle with a short piece coming out with a tap and a wire to the backing plate.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #6

Georgia
When that happened to me, it was the brake controller.
Wgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve and Melanie View Post
So nice we have an English teacher on here, beyond the punctuation, take the unit around the block slowly. A lot of times, the mechanism that operates the brakes, in the wheels, gets a little corrosion over the winter and needs to be exercised. Sometimes, I need to drive a mile or so pumping the brake occasionally, and increase the current on the controller, to get them working.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:54 PM   #8

Oklahoma
So nice we have an English teacher on here, beyond the punctuation

I'm not an English or Composition teacher but I did go to school where you learned these things and were expected to use them for good communication skills.
I find it difficult to concentrate on an answer to a problem when I'm not sure I understood the question because of poor composition, spelling and punctuation.
Smart ass remarks are always welcome because they show one's mettle.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
So nice we have an English teacher on here, beyond the punctuation

I'm not an English or Composition teacher but I did go to school where you learned these things and were expected to use them for good communication skills.
I find it difficult to concentrate on an answer to a problem when I'm not sure I understood the question because of poor composition, spelling and punctuation.
Smart ass remarks are always welcome because they show one's mettle.
And, yes you are welcome, and what is your mettle, sarcastic?
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:10 AM   #10

Texas
Trailer Brakes not working

Mine Denali was in storage also. I checked it out and found one of the dogs chewed a brake wire. So i replaced the magnet for that wheel and lubed all bearings. Hooked up the tow vehicle, 2018 Chevrolet K2500, and it showed faults in the system and brakes would not operate. The breakaway also would not activate the brakes. The battery on the trailer was dead and I knew it. I waited until I replaced the battery on the trailer. Hooked up the tow vehicle again and after a few applications of the brake the trailer brakes worked just fine. Took for a short trip to check all and all works perfectly.

2Slides is offline   Reply With Quote