Nitro Filled Tires - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #21

Colorado
All gases expand when heated, even nitrogen. It expands less than compressed air, but it expands.

paul5097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
I am not sure that is correct. I believe as the earlier post says, nitrogen is far less susceptible to pressure change but it still changes.

I have a track car that I use nitrogen with and I still have to bleed pressure a few times as my tires come up to temperature because my pressures will increase dramatically when I drive the car hard.

Are you certain of this? If so then why do my pressures come up 10 degrees from 35 to 45 psi when I track my nitrogen filled tires?

I am not trying to be a smart ass but just asking.
I have nitrogen filled tires on my Titan. The tire pressures go UP when they get warm. I have taken great care to make sure the tires are filled with NITROGEN but I don't think my dealer even has nitrogen. I went to a tire kingdom the other day to get pressures topped off with nitrogen. They did it for free. When your tires are mounted, they need to be purged of any air that is in them (fat chance of that). Nitrogen is not supposed to leak out of tires as fast as plain air. Also Nitrogen has little to no moisture in it (supposedly). Standard air stations at gas stations contain a lot of moisture.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #23

Arizona
Problem is that when that tire cools down you will be low on pressure
Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha YXZ View Post
Problem is that when that tire cools down you will be low on pressure

I don’t believe so because you set pressures when tires are cold. With regular air they might increase a little more but will settle back to their cold temp. Nitrogen might not increase as much as regular air but they will also settle back at their cold temps. They won’t go lower. The only way they will go lower is if you bleed air out at some point. Obviously, over time you will lose pressure but that will happen with any tire and possibly a little faster with air versus nitrogen.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #25

Washington
Nitrogen Filled Tires

My 2017 Denali came with nitrogen filled tires. My initial assessment was it’s a gimmick. I now think it is a bit less gimmicky. The nitrogen seems to leak more slowly than O2. We purchased our rig in March 2017 and its manufacturing date was February 2017. I just checked my tires today. All four of them are within 2 lbs of when we bought the trailer. Not too bad for a year and five months.
Dansker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #26

Michigan
Nitrogen molecules (N2) are larger than oxygen molecules (O2) so therefore, pure nitrogen will permeate the walls of your tires less than oxygen molecules. This is why there was a switch. No gimmick - there is science behind it.

Doesn't mean I look for nitro - I refill with good old air as I have several air compressors and none extract nitro from the air...LOL

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote