Newbie needs help! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 05:08 AM   #1

Alaska
Newbie needs help!

Just got a 2021 Coleman Lantern 300TQ. Battery charges when towed. Battery doesn't charge on shore power or when generator attached. Voltage on battery disconnected 12.5v, on shore power 22.4v, attached to truck running 13.1v. Looked everywhere I can think of for disconnect switch with no luck. What should I try next? Thanks in advance!

Akzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Florida
22.4 volts on shore power is way too much. Persistent will be along shortly with more technicals.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #3

Alaska
My mistake. Big fingers and small keyboard. 12.4v not 22.4v.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #4

Florida
12.4 volts is not enough to charge the batteries. Have you checked to see if your inverter is actually charging (possibly a fuse).
Old 07-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Thank you for the complement, Frank. Or was it to say that annoying guy will be along soon?

Frank already answered the question. 12.4 means the battery is not charging. The built in converter charger is not charging the batteries.

Charger may have a circuit breaker in the main house circuit breaker panel. Switch it "off" and back "on" to reset it.

Different RV's are wired differently. There may be fuses or circuit breakers on the converter/charger or in the 120 volt line that feeds it or in the 12 volt output line.

My 30 amp WFCO converter/charger has two fuses in its 12 volt fuse panel. One is a 30 amp overload fuse. The other is a 40 amp reverse polarity protection fuse.

There may be a fuse or circuit breaker near the battery. Mine has a 30 amp self resetting circuit breaker near the front tongue mounted battery box. This one would not be the problem on mine. It would also disconnect tow vehicle charging as well.

Of course loose 12 volt positive from charger to battery would cause the problem.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:58 AM   #6

Alaska
Checked fuses in main breaker box and all are fine. Open and closed breakers also. Will trace wiring and check for lose connections. Found converter next to main breaker box, but not sure how to check for operation. I've never heard its fan kick on though.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #7

North Carolina
How to find Converter Fuses

Now that you found the Converter you will likely need to remove it to access the fuses. There are probably 2 fuses in the converter at the back of it. Also check any inline fuses back there.
Witt84z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:06 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akzombie View Post
Checked fuses in main breaker box and all are fine. Open and closed breakers also. Will trace wiring and check for lose connections. Found converter next to main breaker box, but not sure how to check for operation. I've never heard its fan kick on though.
fan comes on when you turn more lights on... the 12 volt kind.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:22 PM   #9

Alaska
Both fuses were blown. Tested with light tester. Both were 35amp fuses. Searched box stores, auto parts stores, rv sales and repairs, Battery Plus, and online. Nobody has in stock. Can order online, but leaving on trip today. Everyone I talked to said they have never seen 35amp fuses on converter and to try 30amps. Works now!

Tags
battery, charging, converter