New TT: Questions during walk through - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Oregon
New TT: Questions during walk through

Hi everyone,

Picking up a new Aerolite 284BHSL travel trailer this weekend. I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on good questions to ask, clarifications to obtain when we do the walk through with the salesman. I'm new to RV'ing so please feel free to suggest anything. Thanks in advance!

defilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #2

California
Take a look at these post. Information on Pre Delivery inspections.

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...html#post52694

This process will take a good couple of hours. You want to make sure that everything works. And does not need a finish work fixed.

Also if anything does not look right make sure you list it, especially any missing equipment/accessories. The TT's do not come with many things like towel racks, toilet paper holders etc. Some do and some don't come with kitchen sinks covers.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:14 AM   #3

Arizona
Get everything in writing and question what they tell you. On our walk thru the guy said ours was not equipped for In Command remote, WRONG!!
Yamaha YXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

Florida
It's really important that you either get it in writing or don't pick it up until they get it fixed. Go up on the ladder and check the roof, check everything. You will be happy you did since they usually have a long wait for service AFTER YOU PICK YOUR VEHICLE UP.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Wyoming
My strongest advise is pretty simple:

In addition to the above statements... do the inspection BEFORE signing on the dotted line, and make them demo that EVERYTHING works as advertised. If it doesn’t, be willing & ready to walk away. Do not rely on their assurances... even if they put it in writing... that things will be taken care of after you sign. Their whole motivation is SELLING it to you... not repairing it... and if you hold your ground, and are ready to walk... they will jump thru hoops, and move heaven & earth to do whatever it takes to close the deal. YOU hold the leverage prior to signing the papers... THEY hold the leverage afterwards.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

Florida
my kitchen table was loose at the floor. they said they would fix it...didn't, the RV was there for a month and they delivered it to Boone while we were up there and picked up our trade in at the same time, it was in January. I had to ifx the table myself and I had to change out the chairs to recliners since they didn't do that either. We never tested the fresh water tank and it didn't work from the get go. There was something covering the vent pipe from the manufacturing facility. Oh yeah, consider changing the china bombs for real tires.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

California
Check all the drawer sliders, especially the bigger/heavier ones. They use cheap hardware and they also don’t always install them well. If they break you will need to take them in for repair. I tried to save the headache but was not able to find the hardware anywhere.

Also, check all you gauges, especially if they are digital and read either fully empty or totally full, including fuel tank gauges if you have a generator or fuel caddy like the toy haulers do.

Lastly, when you do take delivery and think it is completely dialed in don’t get upset when you find problems on your first trip or two. I would advise against taking it back for warranty work until you have had it out a few times and have compiled a list (keep a note pad handy IN the trailer to jot everything down.

Lastly, I would try and plan on at least two warranty returns. Initially after your first few trips. Then another at the mid point if you have enough stuff to deal with and then last right at the end of the warranty period. I might be lucky and not need the last one because I believe my last trip in for everything fixed correctly. Oh, and the first trip in they probably won’t fix everything correctly which is part of the reason for number two.

Remember, there are 1,000’s of things bolted onto that frame and some will fail. It is inexpensive, light weight stuff (some cheap) that bounces around and gets loosened/damaged/broken all the time. Don’t get upset, just accept that as part of the “fun” of owning a trailer.