New to Camping how best to deal with Ant's - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Virginia
New to Camping how best to deal with Ant's

We haven't even been camping yet but have seen ant's on our Coleman camper on the frame at the front and making there way in at the power cord on the back any suggestion would be appreciated the Boss (aka wife) is not keen on bug spray's

powerdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Texas
I had the same phenomenon when I brought my RV home. It was the BIG kind of ants.

I couldn't imagine they were from my property.

Finally bought a 4-pack of bombs. Set them off inside and under it.

Wow! I was shocked by the sudden explosion of ants that went scrambling for survival.

This camper CAME with the ants.

Good news is it's been a year+ and I've not seen another ant!

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #3

Illinois
Terro bait traps work for us.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #4

Michigan
Get used to the ants or get used to the bug spray, your choice.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Terro bait traps work for us.
Rusty
Ditto!!

Had an invasion of ant a few summers ago down in Florida. Upon investigation, they were making their way to the rig via an overhanging branch, down on to the roof, and then into the rig via the vents & AC.

Set a few Terro baits around the rig.... it took a few weeks, but they were all gone by the time I got to Texas.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:13 AM   #6

Virginia
Thanks for the info I might try the terro baits first
powerdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I had the same phenomenon when I brought my RV home. It was the BIG kind of ants. I couldn't imagine they were from my property.

Finally bought a 4-pack of bombs. Set them off inside and under it. Wow! I was shocked by the sudden explosion of ants that went scrambling for survival. This camper CAME with the ants.

Good news is it's been a year+ and I've not seen another ant!
Snakebitten,

We just got home yesterday and found what look like the big carpenter ants coming out from the right rear bottom corner of our 213. I sprayed up in there and BOOM out started coming tons of ants. We then pulled out our slide out stove and there were a bunch of ants in there too. I sprayed more and there had to be a hundred of those little creepy crawly sons of .... coming out.

I guess it's off to get some bombs after I get off work and have a mass funeral tonight for them ants.....

We thought maybe they were coming from the trees where we store our camper, but now you had the same issue. Wonder if anyone else has received a Dutchmen with ants?

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post
Snakebitten,

We just got home yesterday and found what look like the big carpenter ants coming out from the right rear bottom corner of our 213. I sprayed up in there and BOOM out started coming tons of ants. We then pulled out our slide out stove and there were a bunch of ants in there too. I sprayed more and there had to be a hundred of those little creepy crawly sons of .... coming out.

I guess it's off to get some bombs after I get off work and have a mass funeral tonight for them ants.....

We thought maybe they were coming from the trees where we store our camper, but now you had the same issue. Wonder if anyone else has received a Dutchmen with ants?
I did not get ants with my Dutchmen ... but maybe that is a benefit to buying it in December in Ohio?!?
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwinner850 View Post
Wonder if anyone else has received a Dutchmen with ants?
I live in the woods and we have ants all over, every few years they get in the house until I terro them. Never had even one in the camper, I wouldn't rule out they came as a parting gift from Dutchman.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #10

Texas
Jeff,

Keep in mind the RV was brand new and there hadn't been enough time on my property for it to have any kind of "infestation".
If it is true we both have exactly the same "import" problem, then set off 2 bombs inside, and 2 underneath. The whole 213 will be in the smoke cloud for a few minutes.

Then, I would love to see if you get the same result I got. I could actually HEAR scuttling noises from above. I couldn't figure out what it was but knew the bomb had stirred something up in the ceiling. I climbed up on the roof and found 100's of huge (carpenter?) ants pouring out of the attic between the roof cover over the sky lights. Because the skylight is mounted internally inside, but the roof cap is mounted on the roof, you can actually see the wood roof structure from above. The ants poured out of the "attic" area and died between the 2 plastic covers. (Sounds confusing, but when on roof it will make sense)

I left the dead creatures there, rather than disturb the factory sealant.

Again, the best news is those bombs must be really good at doing what they do to ants. Not one ant has ever showed itself since.

These are YANKEE ants indeed!!! (No offense to my northern brothers and sisters)
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #11

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Jeff,

Keep in mind the RV was brand new and there hadn't been enough time on my property for it to have any kind of "infestation".
If it is true we both have exactly the same "import" problem, then set off 2 bombs inside, and 2 underneath. The whole 213 will be in the smoke cloud for a few minutes.

Then, I would love to see if you get the same result I got. I could actually HEAR scuttling noises from above. I couldn't figure out what it was but knew the bomb had stirred something up in the ceiling. I climbed up on the roof and found 100's of huge (carpenter?) ants pouring out of the attic between the roof cover over the sky lights. Because the skylight is mounted internally inside, but the roof cap is mounted on the roof, you can actually see the wood roof structure from above. The ants poured out of the "attic" area and died between the 2 plastic covers. (Sounds confusing, but when on roof it will make sense)

I left the dead creatures there, rather than disturb the factory sealant.

Again, the best news is those bombs must be really good at doing what they do to ants. Not one ant has ever showed itself since.

These are YANKEE ants indeed!!! (No offense to my northern brothers and sisters)
We sprayed inside around the interior perimeter with Bifen and then with Black Flag Ant spray under the outdoor kitchen and closed it up yesterday. tonight I opened her up and looked and estimate a few hundred dead ants under the sink area outside and 50 or so scrambled inside on the floor inside. Today my wife totally emptied the camper and I pulled all cushions, mattress, drawers, panel covers and tied all the doors open and set off 2 foggers and closed her up. I didn't see much activity outside afterwards. Maybe I killed a bunch yesterday....sure hope so. I'll let it sit overnight and air it out tomorrow.

LOL on the Yankee Ants (we're from New Jersey), no offense we taken

2016 Aerolite 213RBSL
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Tow Package
gjwinner850 is offline   Reply With Quote