Never saw that coming. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Ontario
Careful what you caulk

Two weeks ago I completely re-caulked my fiver. Never had a leak but I did find on inspection a couple of caulk lines around running lights and trim that had split over the years. So out I go and purchase outdoor white silicone caulking. I re-caulk the entire RV. This past weekend we get torrential down pours all day Saturday.Saturday evening I determine I need something out to the fiver and proceed out to the driveway to get it.Upon entering the RV I remove my shoes and walk back to the bed room, half way there “SPLASH” foot in 18” round puddle of water. “WTF???” I turn on the lights to have a better look. Giant puddle in the middle of the floor, not really directly under anything. I inspect the ceiling no water marks, no water marks on the entire ceiling???? Well it had to come from somewhere, so I proceed to remove the AC unit shroud, its dry, I remove several ceiling AC vents their dry inside, I remove the ceiling mounted speakers, their dry inside. By this time the rain has stooped and it’s getting dark and hard to inspect anything, So I clean up the water and decide to inspect further in the AM.In the AM still no more rain but I still can’t find the entry point for the water. Out of sheer luck I happen spot water on the counter top behind the stove, upon further inspection I determine the water might have come in through the range hood.I remove the range hood and find the entry point.It seems that when I caulked along the bottom of the vent on the outside I seemed to have stopped an exit point for water.

As you can see in the picture there is a cross brace I assume for wind while driving, well rain was running down the front and hitting the center brace and running into the unit under the cover water was building up inside an area under there and running inside the wall and out on the counter top. I’m not sure if this how it’s supposed to operate. But before I caulked it the water must have followed the same route but been allowed to exit out the un-caulked area under the vent. (although I’m pretty sure if was caulked before) I had to cut the silicone caulking along the bottom to allow the water to drain out.I am going to remove and replace this vent for one I think is a better design.

Does anyone know if you are supposed to leave the bottom un-caulked???

Lesson of the Day: Careful when you caulk you could create a leak.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

South Carolina
Don't see any arrows

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

Ontario
Had to remove references to arrow as I couldn't figure out how to add them on this site. Maybe when I get home I'll try again to add the arrows.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I usually don't caulk the bottom of things just for that reason, to allow any water that might get in to get out. I have seen serious damage done to buildings where someone put sealant in the wrong place or in a couple of cases too much sealant was used and caused water to get where it wasn't supposed to. More is not always better when it comes to sealing things up.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:38 AM   #5

British Columbia
It could be that the flap gpt stuck open. When the little plastic pins get gunked up with road grimes they can stick open.

A bit of silicone spray on a regular basis will keep the pins clean and free moving. Don't get any silicone on the back of the flap, because that's where you want to duct tape pennies. It's a trial and error thing you want just enough weight to return the flap and hold it down when you turn the fan off.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Ontario
It was closed and locked when the leak happened. not going in past the flapper. there is a split in the casing between the flapper and the outer casing that is allowing water to get in. it`s designed that way. If you have a similar vent on your RV if you open the flapper for better viewing and push down slightly on the edge where the flapper rest when closed you`ll see movement between the two pieces. This is where the water is getting in, but due to my caulking the water now can`t get out. But a different designed vent will fix the problem.

Just not sure if there is supposed to be caulking along bottom edge. Although I did stop by an RV dealership last night on my way home and looked at a dozen RVs with the same vent I have. they were all caulked along the bottom.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Old 07-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #7

Tennessee
I hope you didn't caulk the roof with silicone caulk, that's a no no.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
It was closed and locked when the leak happened. not going in past the flapper. there is a split in the casing between the flapper and the outer casing that is allowing water to get in. it`s designed that way. If you have a similar vent on your RV if you open the flapper for better viewing and push down slightly on the edge where the flapper rest when closed you`ll see movement between the two pieces. This is where the water is getting in, but due to my caulking the water now can`t get out. But a different designed vent will fix the problem.

Just not sure if there is supposed to be caulking along bottom edge. Although I did stop by an RV dealership last night on my way home and looked at a dozen RVs with the same vent I have. they were all caulked along the bottom.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
Welcome to the world of RV assembly. Each one is assembled uniquely...

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote