LP Gas .. checking amount .. 2011 Voltage V3200 TH? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Ontario
Question LP Gas .. checking amount .. 2011 Voltage V3200 TH?

I just purchased a 2011 Voltage V3200 TH and for the likes of me can not figure out how to see how much LP Gas is in each of the 30 gallon bottles ? On the control panel in the trailer there is a button that says LP Gas but nothing happens when I push it ? This trailer has everything so I can not believe there isn't a way to know what the LP Gas amount in each bottle is.

xtanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtanker View Post
I just purchased a 2011 Voltage V3200 TH and for the likes of me can not figure out how to see how much LP Gas is in each of the 30 gallon bottles ? On the control panel in the trailer there is a button that says LP Gas but nothing happens when I push it ? This trailer has everything so I can not believe there isn't a way to know what the LP Gas amount in each bottle is.
The only way to know for sure is to weigh each tank. Other than that you wait for one tank to go empty, automatically switch to the other tank and have the empty filled. You'll know for sure you have one full tank.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Ontario
Tks for the reply .. all that trailer and no $5.00 gauge .. that's crazy !!
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtanker View Post
On the control panel in the trailer there is a button that says LP Gas but nothing happens when I push it
I believe you are looking at your water heater switch on the panel, should be right next to one that says electric.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

Ontario
Thom .. I will check tonight. Does it display on the panel with the red lights ( full / empty ) the same as gas / water lights do ?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Wyoming
I'll admit I'm no expert, but as far as I know, no one has yet developed a 'remote' LP fuel gauge. You can however buy these at most RV stores to use... I've got them on my tanks, and they work ok:

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I'll admit I'm no expert, but as far as I know, no one has yet developed a 'remote' LP fuel gauge. You can however buy these at most RV stores to use... I've got them on my tanks, and they work ok:
They have remote LP fuel gauges... but you have to buy the tanks with the sending units built in. I have an Airstream with them. Replacement 30# tanks like that are in the $240 each range. Worthington brand aluminum tanks, costs a bit more to go First Class.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #8

Ontario
Tom .. I had an 1997 RV with fixed LP Gas container and could check amount from control panel ?

BTW .. just sold my 1985 Wing LTD and purchased a 2008 Can-Am Spyder due to knees .. sure miss the Wing !!
Old 12-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #9

Oklahoma
If the gauge reading could be equated to BTUs left or hours of burn it might be beneficial. If I have a full tank tank I know that but I have no idea how long it will service my furnance or stove. I know when it's getting low when I heft it but I still don't know how long it will last until it's time for change over.

It's sort of like having a fuel gauge in your car. If you don't have an idea of your fuel mileage or don't care, it only tells you when it's time to stop for gas. Way too many varibles with LPG for a gauge to be helpful.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #10

Ontario
I just would like a basic gauge that says when it's full, 1/2 full & empty. Go to bed when it's -10% would like to know I'm good for the night and not wake up with icicle's inside the trailer ..
Old 12-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If the gauge reading could be equated to BTUs left or hours of burn it might be beneficial. If I have a full tank tank I know that but I have no idea how long it will service my furnance or stove. I know when it's getting low when I heft it but I still don't know how long it will last until it's time for change over.

It's sort of like having a fuel gauge in your car. If you don't have an idea of your fuel mileage or don't care, it only tells you when it's time to stop for gas. Way too many varibles with LPG for a gauge to be helpful.
Well the gauge does tell you how much is in the tank based on percentages... it is just up to you to do the math. (not my strongest subject BTW)

I know how many pounds each tank is SUPPOSED to hold when it is full, convert to gallons or BTU's. The hard part is estimating how much the furnace runs, along with the water heater. The fridge is a pretty constant draw when it comes to LP. Over time you will get a feel for how long a tank lasts.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

Oklahoma
I just purchased 12 gallons at $2.09 each. After living in this thing almost full time I have a good guess of how long it will last. Of course, like you stated, the furnance does its own thing according to the weather. My gauge is hefting the bottles to give me an idea of when I should think about a refill.
In case my personal gauge is off I also have a 100 pounder for backup. Which, had to be connected this morning because I was waiting to take the trip to town for LPG and stuff.

I think it would take a long time for one to study consumption of LPG to determine how long 50% will last. I surely won't bother with it, I need to preserve what brains I have left.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #13

Ontario
I just thought full, 1/2 or empty would be so easy .. guess I was wrong. LOL
Old 12-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #14

Wyoming
Well... if all else fails, there is the old fashion way:

While one of your appliances is running off of gas (furnace, fridge, stove, etc), take a cup of hot water out to the tank and pour some down the side. You should see a faint line of frost form at the level of LP you have left in the tank. It doesn't usually work it there's no draw on the tank... which is why you should have something running on gas at the time you check.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #15

South Carolina
There are magnetic strips with liquid crystal displays that work in the manner of the hot water induced frost line on the side of the tank. I have used both the stick shape and the rectangular shaped ones and prefer the rectangular one as it does not require water. The in-line gauge is monitoring pressure which is usually near the same until the cylinder is nearly empty. If you are looking for an actual gauge that is accurate you would be looking for a pre-installed float linked to a gauge face. This looks similar to the gauge used on a cylinder used for fork-truck service.

Cheers!
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #16

Ontario
Tks for the reply .. funny, I picked up two of the rectangular ones over the holidays .. not perfect but at least give you an indication when getting low.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #17

South Carolina
I've been returning to the thought of getting the installed float tanks often. Perhaps when we decide to full-time...
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
xtanker i agree with you. In July of this year I sold my 3200 and bought a motor home. It has the inside monitor for the lp tank, which is great. with the th i bought one of the gauges a person put in your post and it was ok. Just a shame they can't put an item like that with all of the oney you spend on the unit. i'm amazed at the additional items on the mh and the cost wasn't that much different. we liked the th, but really do love the mh. we do have to trailer the Spyder or tow the car just cant take both.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #19

Ontario
gonervn .. had the mh and wanted to try the 5th wheel th .. do like the idea of having bike in trailer with enough room to be able to work on it if weather is bad. Time will tell if we'll stay with th or head back to mh, both have there pro's & con's. Cheers ..
Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 AM   #20

Oklahoma
www.gaswatch.com The blurb shows the scale used on 5 pound grill tanks. I've emailed them to see if it would work on the 30 pound tanks.