Looking to buy Generators - Ever heard of Powerhorse? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #1

Washington
Looking to buy Generators - Ever heard of Powerhorse?

So my wife and I are in the market for generator(s) for our 5er. Right now we could easily get away with one 2000w geni, and add a companion down the road when we actually need the extra juice to power most our gear as we RARELY are in a position where we actually need a generator. However, we scored some RV parking tickets to a college tailgating event, and want to bring our trailer out for the weekend, and thus need a geni (don't currently own one).

Between the research I've done, the fact that I've seen nearly 90% of these generators at tailgating events, camping, etc., the reputation, and the fact that my father-in-law has a set and has had zero issues with them, I was 100% sold on dropping the coin on the Honda EU2000 & 2000i companion generators.

FREE SHIPPING — Honda EU2000 Portable Inverter Generator — 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts, CARB-Compliant, Model# EU2000i | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

However, I did run across this Powerhorse brand and have also found some decent reviews on it as well.

FREE SHIPPING — Powerhorse Portable Inverter Generator — 2,000 Surge Watts, 1,600 Rated Watts, CARB-Compliant | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

I have little doubt that the Honda is overall a better quality generator, however, we will be using these geni's so sparingly that I'm almost inclined to go the cheaper route and see if they fit the bill for us, especially since I can buy a pair of them for nearly the price of one of the Honda's.

Anyways, looking for anyone who might have some input on the Powerhorse brand.

Thanks for the input!

West1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #2

Missouri
From the reviews I just read, and at almost half the cost, I believe I would get the Powerhorse between the two choices..

Another option would be this from Costco. http://www.costco.com/Champion-2%2c8...100139466.html or
http://www.costco.com/.product.10012...rySiloedViewCP
The one nice thing about Costco is the return policy!
I have no basis to judge any of these since I have not had one, but If I were buying one I would most likely get the one from Costco because of the extra wattage, which would allow running the A/C with just the one generator.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

California
Make sure you get a Inverter Generator no matter which one you pick. I'm very happy with the Champion 3100 watt model I bought. Didn't get it here but this is the model I'm referring to.
Champion Power Equipment Portable Inverter Generator — 3100 Surge Watts, 2800 Rated Watts, Model# 75531i | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #4

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Make sure you get a Inverter Generator no matter which one you pick. I'm very happy with the Champion 3100 watt model I bought. Didn't get it here but this is the model I'm referring to.
Champion Power Equipment Portable Inverter Generator — 3100 Surge Watts, 2800 Rated Watts, Model# 75531i | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment
A generator is on my wish list, but not ready to buy one. However, you say your happy with you Champion. I noticed it is rated at a few DB's high then the others. What is you feeling on the noise. Is it pretty quiet, and have you compared the noise to others while camping? I figure, that when I get one, it will maybe be used a few weekends a year. So I see no point of buying a big brand name at twice the cost.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 07-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #5

Washington
Well, after spending literally the whole day (its been a really slow work day for me) on forums, reading reviews on websites, calling some dealers in the area asking their opinions etc. and weighing how often we will actually use the generator etc. I pulled the trigger on this Champion unit: 2800W Inverter Generator (CARB) - Champion Power Equipment

I was originally looking at the 75531i model which is nearly identical, but yellow, and on Amazon for $799 right now but after seeing the link ErikNSTL shared, I went to the Champion manufacturer website to look for a manual to download and then called Champion customer service and asked them what the difference between the two models were, and they said the 100156 model is their newest version. Its all black, it has covers for all the connections, and a 12v cigarette lighter with USB charging adapter and reads 2800W Inverter vs. 3100W on it (since 3100w is peak, not running, just like the older model).

Thanks again to ErikNSTL for linking the Costco website for the $100 off sale. Especially since Costco has such a good return policy if I'm unhappy with it. For $699 out the door, I think its worth a shot.

So, thank you everyone for the input, and we'll see how this one pans out. I think for the little we will actually use it, the money we're saving and the fact that it has a little more power than one EU2000, it should fit our needs nicely.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #6

Missouri
West1134, Your welcome, let me know you thoughts after you get it and use it. Its on my list to get one, but just not yet..... Hopefully when the funds are available, Costco will still have the sale again.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 07-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
A generator is on my wish list, but not ready to buy one. However, you say your happy with you Champion. I noticed it is rated at a few DB's high then the others. What is you feeling on the noise. Is it pretty quiet, and have you compared the noise to others while camping? I figure, that when I get one, it will maybe be used a few weekends a year. So I see no point of buying a big brand name at twice the cost.
I had a Honda 2000 and it was a little quieter. The extra power the Champion has is what I needed. Looks like the new 2800 model should work too.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
I had a Honda 2000 and it was a little quieter. The extra power the Champion has is what I needed. Looks like the new 2800 model should work too.
Yeah, I'm excited to get it and try it out. At first when I saw it had 2800 written on it vs. 3100 I thought it was a "smaller" model producing less power, which is what prompted the call to the manufacturer. Their rep, who was very pleasant, said it was relabeled because that was actual operating wattage vs. peak performance, and they wanted to be more transparent. Works for me.

I'm hoping that power point will be sufficient, and the little we'll use it, hopefully it'll last a few years. I really hope it shines, as a) I don't want to waste my money on something that isn't good, and b) I'd love to have a decent product for a fraction of what my father-in-law paid for his Honda's (not that I don't want the Honda's too, but would be nice to give him a little elbow jab haha).
Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

California
So I wonder why the old 3100 is more $ than the new 2800.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Well they are the same amount on all the sites I looked at except Costco.com. Costco has it on sale for $100 off right now through 8/2/15 I believe. Otherwise it too is priced at $799. I did notice too, that not everywhere has the newer model for sale.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:45 AM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
I too, have been watching this set of products for a while. One or the other is for sure my next gennie. I'm guessing the older commands a higher price because of its attractive (to me) yellow color, or more likely, the perception of higher wattage. The new one has nice dust covers on the outlets, and a higher DC output. Maybe I'll buy the new one, and spray-paint it yellow! LOL
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #12

Montana
I have nothing against more affordable options, but for what it's worth we love our Yamaha units.
We have a pair of the 2,000 watt inverters. Long story as to how many other generators we tried before we settled on these. I tend to prefer Honda, but my wife likes the Yamaha blue better.

No matter the brand, isn't it amazing how quiet they can make these things now days?
J&HinMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 AM   #13

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by West1134 View Post
Well, after spending literally the whole day (its been a really slow work day for me) on forums, reading reviews on websites, calling some dealers in the area asking their opinions etc. and weighing how often we will actually use the generator etc. I pulled the trigger on this Champion unit: 2800W Inverter Generator (CARB) - Champion Power Equipment

I was originally looking at the 75531i model which is nearly identical, but yellow, and on Amazon for $799 right now but after seeing the link ErikNSTL shared, I went to the Champion manufacturer website to look for a manual to download and then called Champion customer service and asked them what the difference between the two models were, and they said the 100156 model is their newest version. Its all black, it has covers for all the connections, and a 12v cigarette lighter with USB charging adapter and reads 2800W Inverter vs. 3100W on it (since 3100w is peak, not running, just like the older model).

Thanks again to ErikNSTL for linking the Costco website for the $100 off sale. Especially since Costco has such a good return policy if I'm unhappy with it. For $699 out the door, I think its worth a shot.

So, thank you everyone for the input, and we'll see how this one pans out. I think for the little we will actually use it, the money we're saving and the fact that it has a little more power than one EU2000, it should fit our needs nicely.
West1134, I don't know if I should thank you or CUSS you!!!.. I too just bought the same generator. I couldn't pass up on the sale! After having the seed planted about the generator, I found a bunch of sites here in Missouri that are beautiful but have no hook ups. Now that I have a generator, I can get out and enjoy them... I am sure after my first trip I will be THANKING you not cussing you..

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #14

Illinois
I have had the champion (yellow) for 2 years now and love it. Powerful, quiet, much cheaper than the Honda. You wont be disappointed.

Steve
2014 Aerolite 315BHSS
2015 Ram 2500 Cummins CCSB
sreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

I would stay away from anything that says CARB compliant. Do your research and you will find others that are not CARB compliant and you can read forums about the horrors of CARB. Once the motor gets hot its hard to start since the mixture is so lean. Anything that says CARB I shy away from and buy one that is not CARB that will start hot and gives less problems. JMO
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #16

Washington
Well, I just finished up the 5hr (split it over two days) break in period on the generator, and so far so good. During the first 5hrs you are instructed to simply let it run to break in components, seat piston rings, etc., while plugging in a few different items off and on for periods of time to "exercise" the coils, allowing them to heat up and cool down. All of this is done at 50% or less of the capable load of the generator.

So I did that, and tomorrow plan to take it out to where we store our trailer and hook it up to it and see what all it can do. I also plan to fire it up next to my in-laws Honda EU2000(s) and see the difference in noise.

Initial impressions:
-For being roughly 95lbs with fuel, the two handles make it relatively easy to pickup and move around when you can't roll it. I wouldn't want to have to carry it a long distance, but its not bad.
-It is pretty quiet. I downloaded a decibel meter app (YES I KNOW ITS NOT GOING TO BE SUPER ACCURATE) on my iPhone just to get an idea of roughly where it was at, and I can then use it to find a difference in sound between Economy mode and regular, as well as compare it to my in-laws Honda's. Overall, I don't feel its much louder if any that the Honda's based on my memory, you can certainly have a conversation nearby just fine. Eco mode is of course the best setting for noise, and with it having a bigger motor than the Honda's the tone is a bit deeper making it "less loud" (maybe not technically) to the ear than the higher tone.
-It's easy to start up. Had my wife try it and no issues, I have been able to fire it up on one pull each time, and even after running 2hrs and being hot, shut it down, moved it and fired it right back up without incident.

Now obviously I haven't had it long enough or put it through enough tests to truly know how this unit will work out, but thus far, I'm happy with my purchase/decision and look forward to using it! I will try and remember to report back an update on here after its gotten some use.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #17

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
West1134, I don't know if I should thank you or CUSS you!!!.. I too just bought the same generator. I couldn't pass up on the sale! After having the seed planted about the generator, I found a bunch of sites here in Missouri that are beautiful but have no hook ups. Now that I have a generator, I can get out and enjoy them... I am sure after my first trip I will be THANKING you not cussing you..
Haha, well I hope your as happy with it once it arrives as I am thus far. I too am now looking at places that don't have hook ups as options, and getting excited to explore more places! Keep us posted on your impression over time.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #18

Tennessee
No way it's quieter than the Honda, but I don't think any small generator is. But for $200 less, I could put up with a few decibels louder.

Stupid thread, now I want one, even though we have never boondocked.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
No way it's quieter than the Honda, but I don't think any small generator is. But for $200 less, I could put up with a few decibels louder.

Yeah, I never said it was quieter, but I don't think its much louder.

Again, I think part of it is the fact that with the engine being bigger than one Honda EU2000, I'm hearing the deeper tone. But I plan to take it up to my in-laws soon, and use the decibel meter app I downloaded to compare the two. Now I know it won't be accurate on the readings, BUT, it should at least show the difference between the machines to give a decent idea.

My money still is on the Honda being quieter, but it'll be interesting to see what two Honda's in parallel configuration sound like since to get closest to the same power output you would need two Honda EU2000's (obviously that would get you 4k Watts vs. 3100W, but close enough for a friendly comparison)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #20

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post

Good time to start.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote