Ladder - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

North Carolina
Ladder

My 2016 Kodiak 291RESL did not come with a rear ladder and I and I do not know if it is prepped for one. I need a way to get on the roof to check on things and wipe the slides. Last trip I had to park really close to the TT and climb on top of my TV.

I have read on some other threads that a decent amount of you prefer not to have the rear ladder and use something like a telescoping ladder instead. I think that I should go this route.

What is everyone with out a rear ladder attached using?

Looking to not sped a ton of money. <-- Probably not possible.

captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
My 2016 Kodiak 291RESL did not come with a rear ladder and I and I do not know if it is prepped for one. I need a way to get on the roof to check on things and wipe the slides. Last trip I had to park really close to the TT and climb on top of my TV.

I have read on some other threads that a decent amount of you prefer not to have the rear ladder and use something like a telescoping ladder instead. I think that I should go this route.

What is everyone with out a rear ladder attached using?

Looking to not sped a ton of money. <-- Probably not possible.
Captain,

I came across one of these at a Lowes in Frankfort KY.

https://www.grainger.com/product/WESTWARD-Aluminum-Multipurpose-Ladder-49DJ47?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/49DJ47_AS01?$smthumb$

I have a sixteen foot version for home, the one I bought at Lowes is a lighter 12' version. The one at home has a pair of brackets that creates an A-frame out of the removeable legs. This gives you 2 A-frames, add a 2x10 and you have a scaffold.

http://www.thelittleladderstore.com/...planklarge.jpg

It's not as storage freindly as the telescoping ladders, but I find the OEM ladder on the camper makes for the perfect storage spot for it. I use a pair of u-bolts to secure it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

British Columbia
Forgot to mention the price, it was on sale, I paid $60. I can't remember the exact regular price now, but it was in the $100 range.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

Illinois
I have a ladder mounted on the side of my unit, but bought a telescopic one as well that I can move wherever I want to clean or whatever. However, I end up borrowing an 8' lightweight step ladder when I wax and clean so as not to have to lean a ladder up against my unit. If I had a place to store or carry it, a tall step ladder is the way to go.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Captain,

I came across one of these at a Lowes in Frankfort KY.

https://www.grainger.com/product/WESTWARD-Aluminum-Multipurpose-Ladder-49DJ47?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/49DJ47_AS01?$smthumb$

I have a sixteen foot version for home, the one I bought at Lowes is a lighter 12' version. The one at home has a pair of brackets that creates an A-frame out of the removeable legs. This gives you 2 A-frames, add a 2x10 and you have a scaffold.

http://www.thelittleladderstore.com/...planklarge.jpg

It's not as storage freindly as the telescoping ladders, but I find the OEM ladder on the camper makes for the perfect storage spot for it. I use a pair of u-bolts to secure it.
I have looked at those, but I don't know if I could find a place to store it in/on the camper.
captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Maryland
I bought this one shortly after we bought our trailer... love it.

Xtend & Climb 12.5 ft. Telescoping Aluminum Extension Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type 1A Duty Rating-780P - The Home Depot

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
I have looked at those, but I don't know if I could find a place to store it in/on the camper.
I understand the storage thing, if it wasn't for having the OEM ladder to hang it from, I would have gone with the telescoping style.

Eventually it is going to find a different home, but for now I hang it on the OEM ladder. One hair brained idea I came up with is adapting a spare tire carrier behind the rear axle. A fixed mounting bracket on the road side frame rail and the spare tire carrier on the curb side.

Clip the top rungs on the fixed bracket and run the modified tire carrier through the bottom rungs, raise the carrier to the travel positon.

I've had a couple of other ideas on storage locations as well, the easiest one was to make a rack for it on the A-frame, but that one won't work now as that's were the brake actuator is mounted.

So far the tire carrier is in the number one, but I need to sit at the camp fire and think on it. There's a solution somewhere there, it just hasn't bubbled to the surface yet.