L1 OP error of Norcold 2118 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #1

Utah
L1 OP error of Norcold 2118

It is Sunday... we are on the mountain. As our luck would have it our fridge is throwing an error code of L1 op. From what I can see this is a common problem with Norcold and... we would end up with one. LOL (coping). Any way of fixing this without going to the dealer since we are on the mountain, on a Sunday. TIA

everydayrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:56 AM   #2

Maryland
Hello, first post here. I had a similar problem with my Norcold and after some online research I was able to get it working. It ended up being a loose connection causing my trouble, but it's not as a easy to fix as it sounds.
Disclaimer**** I accept no responsibility for any damage/injury that may occur. And attempting to fix may or may not void your warranty.

Okay, that's out of the way. Here is how I fixed my Norcold. The only "tool" I needed was a strong magnet. I started by removing the outside access panel to the fridge, the lower one. If your fridge is like mine, there is a black box about the size of a deck of cards with four wires attached. If a red light is on it means your fridge shut itself down due to the high temperature limit being reached, Or something caused the switch to trip, in my case a loose connection on one of the four wires that I mentioned earlier. I've also heard that water getting into the black box can cause it to trip also.

Before you start, if you see any yellow residue or powder behind the access panel, your fridge leaked it's coolant and your SOL. If not, and the red light is on you may be able to get it working again. But keep in mind, this high temp limit switched tripped for a reason. Was it water? A loose connection? Or did your fridge really get so hot that the limit switch saved you from a fire? So if you aren't sure why it tripped, it might be in your best interest have it checked out by an authorized service center. The black box is not designed to be serviced by the user. But given all the trouble this little black box has caused, people have figured out how to reset it. To reset it, place a strong magnet up to the black box near the red light. Hold it there for approximately 5 seconds and you should here a click and the light will go off. With any luck your fridge is now working. But again, knowing what caused it to trip is the real issue here. Get it checked out ! And only attempt at your own risk! I hope this helps.

Ryan

Audiobahn18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

Utah
Thank you Ryan. That was the only safe attempt we tried as well with no success. We had a huge downpour when it happened so we assume the culprit was water. Needless to say, we got the part replaced by our dealer in Idaho. Quick fix, but stressful... we had them relocate the box in hopes that this would not be an issue in the future. As a side note... if traveling through ID, and need service, go to Bish's RV. They are amazing!!!!
2014 CanAm Commander
everydayrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #4

Maryland
Good to know! I'm glad you got it fixed
Audiobahn18s is offline   Reply With Quote