Kodiak ultimate 243bhsl floor - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Manitoba
Kodiak ultimate 243bhsl floor

Just wondering if anyone can help me out before my warranty is up. I have a 243bhsl kodiak and noticed this year that the floor in front of the sink flexes a bit when we step there. Never noticed that before and was wondering if that's normal or a warrany issue? The dealer is 4.5 hours south so its a big trip if it's not a problem. thanks for the advice.

moosey069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey069 View Post
Just wondering if anyone can help me out before my warranty is up. I have a 243bhsl kodiak and noticed this year that the floor in front of the sink flexes a bit when we step there. Never noticed that before and was wondering if that's normal or a warrany issue? The dealer is 4.5 hours south so its a big trip if it's not a problem. thanks for the advice.

We have a 2018 243 BHSL. Never had any soft spots yet, knock on wood.

I would suggest you look long and hard under the sink for any signs of water leaks or damage.

I can tell you this the water lines in our unit run along that right side wall. From the kitchen to the outside sink and then along the back wall to the tub and bathroom sink. Also the fresh water tank is under the kitchen sink and runs across the trailer to the left side. The water pump is also under the sink

If it came from the plumbing I would think it would be obvious. But I guess stranger things have happened.

You could be brave and cut an inspection "hatch" in the under-layment and then "patch" it back up. I have removed the underlayment in the very back and not that big a deal. Of course I did not cut it.

I'm sure you will hear more ideas.

Good Luck!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Florida
Good advice to look for water leaks but sometimes, there is nothing that makes this happen except poor and inferior materials. I have a spot that flexes abnormally also and it was diagnosed as junk materials. The structural warranty is the important part here so pay attention to the expiration dates since the extended warranties don't usually cover structural issues.

My advice is to take it back to the dealer and have them examine it and make a determination of cause.

good luck
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I have a spot that flexes abnormally also and it was diagnosed as junk materials.
good luck

Curious. Did they determine this with just a visual inspection or did they actually "open" it up? And did you have it fixed or left it alone??
Old 08-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #5

Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Curious. Did they determine this with just a visual inspection or did they actually "open" it up? And did you have it fixed or left it alone??
When I had the new electric drain valves installed, they had to open the bottom and they inspected the floor then. They said it was due to inferior materials used for the floor and it was a "common" issue.

I tried going to dutchmen but they mentioned that because it was over a year old (structural warranty time period) that it was my problem. I then went to the RV insurance company and they said no also.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:24 PM   #6

Utah
Newer Dutchmens come with a 3-year structural warranty, but not sure what warranty the original poster was referring to or if it even covers floors. My 2018 also came with a 7-year floor warranty; whatever that is good for.
Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 PM   #7

North Carolina
Water in underbelly ?

Our 2017 kodiak ultimate 230rbsl had a spongey floor in front of the kitchen sink area. I cut out the floor and it was soaking wet. Took it to my dealer. They determined it was caused by everytime we filled the fresh water tank some of the overflow water was laying on top of the tank. the flooring sits right on top of the tank. The dealer went to bat for us and Dutchmen swapped our entire trailer out for a brand new 2018 same model. No hassle. Make sure you do it right away ! Don't wait until the warranty runs out. Mine was out by a little, but the factory did me a real solid because my dealer sells a boatload of their units.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:55 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey069 View Post
I found two soft spots in my 2017 Denali 307RLS 5th wheel. The dealer General RV found that there was a seam where two pieces of the floor sub-floor plywood was NOT supported. From below they added support problem solved.

davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
243, floor, kodiak