Keying of all locks the same... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #1

North Carolina
Keying of all locks the same...

I just thought I'd mention this... One of my complaints was that all the keys were keyed differently. I know a couple of people had them rekeyed but when I called a locksmith out, they said they couldn't rekey them.

I called Dutchman up and they gave me the number to the manufacturer of the locks. I called them and they sold me a new cylinder for 4 bucks each. It comes with a keys, a lock cylinder and a master key to remove the old cylinder. The whole process takes about 3 seconds per lock to do.

Just thought I'd mention it... for 4 bucks per cylinder, it's worth the phone call.

HTH's,

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #2

British Columbia
Mark

Which lock manufacturer did they refer you to.

I tried to buy a set of locks and the master and they refused to sell it to anyone that was not a licensed locksmith.

Jim

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:56 AM   #3

Nevada
Who Who Who Please....

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Mark

Which lock manufacturer did they refer you to.

I tried to buy a set of locks and the master and they refused to sell it to anyone that was not a licensed locksmith.

Jim

I saved the box that the parts came in. I'm not sure if there are any instructions or anything but I'll look when I stop at the shop.

I can tell you this... there are only two types of locks that they use. Apparently when they install the cylinders, they're in a bucket and they just randomly grab one (which could compose of either brand)

I'll look and let you know...

Mark
Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #5

Alberta
I was able to do this as well when the locks were recalled. My two mains doors were different than the pack and play.

When I called I asked for the main doors to match te pack an play which was not recalled.
The recall notice was on here somewhere with a number to call.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Who Who Who Please....

I am so sorry, I forgot about checking on this until I received notification that someone responded.

Anyway, the box says Weisco distribution. I'm sure that's a distribution company.

I can tell you this… there are only two companies that sell the locks. I called them and spoke to a lady that said no problem, I'll ship them out. I'll be more than happy to make some phone calls for you.

Mark
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Michigan
Interested...
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I am so sorry, I forgot about checking on this until I received notification that someone responded.

Anyway, the box says Weisco distribution. I'm sure that's a distribution company.

I can tell you this… there are only two companies that sell the locks. I called them and spoke to a lady that said no problem, I'll ship them out. I'll be more than happy to make some phone calls for you.

Mark
Mark,

I think it is Wesco Distribution, which would make it FIC.

If that's the case, that's the same company that wouldn't sell me the cylinder change key 2 years ago. I guess I'll give them another try.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Mark,

I think it is Wesco Distribution, which would make it FIC.

If that's the case, that's the same company that wouldn't sell me the cylinder change key 2 years ago. I guess I'll give them another try.
That is who it was. I asked the lady in the parts dept if I was able to buy replaxent cylinders and a handle so I could have all the keys the same. I asked for a complete handle assy because my keys were half FIC and half the other company. She told me I would need an entire handle assy since their cylinders were not interchangeable.

I paid 4.95 for each cylinder and 26.00 for the handle assy. Turns out that the cylinders are interchangeable. They send the blue key with it so you literally place the key in the cylinder, turn the key and pull it out.

It took less than 2 minutes to swap 3 locks.

Since my toyhauler rear door has two locks that are keyed the same, I asked for that number so I could buy as least as possible (at the time I didn't know they were only 4 bucks each..lol)

If you want, tell me the rear cylinder numbers and how many you want and I'll call. Perhaps if I call and explain she sold it to me just recently, she'll be more lenient.

Let me know, I'll be happy to.

Mark
Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
That is who it was. I asked the lady in the parts dept if I was able to buy replaxent cylinders and a handle so I could have all the keys the same. I asked for a complete handle assy because my keys were half FIC and half the other company. She told me I would need an entire handle assy since their cylinders were not interchangeable.

I paid 4.95 for each cylinder and 26.00 for the handle assy. Turns out that the cylinders are interchangeable. They send the blue key with it so you literally place the key in the cylinder, turn the key and pull it out.

It took less than 2 minutes to swap 3 locks.

Since my toyhauler rear door has two locks that are keyed the same, I asked for that number so I could buy as least as possible (at the time I didn't know they were only 4 bucks each..lol)

If you want, tell me the rear cylinder numbers and how many you want and I'll call. Perhaps if I call and explain she sold it to me just recently, she'll be more lenient.

Let me know, I'll be happy to.

Mark

Mark - very interested in this - my ramp doors are numbered 301. Let me know how we can make this happen.

Thank you!
Don
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Mark - very interested in this - my ramp doors are numbered 301. Let me know how we can make this happen.

Thank you!
Don
How many of the other side doors do you need in 301? Mine was 301 also and I only needed 2 cylinders. One of my side doors was already 301.

Mark
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
How many of the other side doors do you need in 301? Mine was 301 also and I only needed 2 cylinders. One of my side doors was already 301.

Mark
I too am interested. My ramp door is 301. I need two more for each of the side doors. Let me know who I need to contact as this is definitely something I want to do.

Thanks,

Allan
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #13

New York
Have any of you checked to see if your locks are on the recall list?

Recall Page

Mine where and when I called I had ALL my locks replaced FREE of charge - and I requested that they all be keyed the same.

So both my entrance doors (2 locks on each) and the garage door locks (2) all use the same key - they sent everything to me including the blue key needed to replace the cylinders.

Just saying!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #14

Ontario
We changed out our main door with the V4 lock. The manufacturer said that they will be making the storage locks soon that work together with this lock.

https://www.rvlock.com/?page_id=6

As a newbie, and a previous Jayco owner, I was REALLY shocked to learn that every Jayco owner could get into my storage and unit if I didn't have the deadbolt on. We keep our WDH, sways etc.. in the storage which would be horrible if someone helped themselves
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Have any of you checked to see if your locks are on the recall list?

Recall Page

Mine where and when I called I had ALL my locks replaced FREE of charge - and I requested that they all be keyed the same.

So both my entrance doors (2 locks on each) and the garage door locks (2) all use the same key - they sent everything to me including the blue key needed to replace the cylinders.

Just saying!
Thanks Kathy,

I heard about the recall, but never could find it, so I hadn't pursued it yet. Sure enough one of my keys is on the list, so I'll give FIC a call.

Did you get your rig weighed and is a Hensley in your future?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #16

New York
Quote:
Thanks Kathy,

Did you get your rig weighed and is a Hensley in your future?
No and out next trip out is not until October - so I'm on hold!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #17

Oklahoma
How long ago did you contact them? Both of my keys are listed in the recall, but I see the recall notice is from Sept. 2013? This is a great opportunity since I need another key made but now I might be able to get them for free!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #18

New York
I called in October 2013 - but a recall is a recall....it is worth a call!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #19

Michigan
Quote:

Mark
Mark,

I would need two of the 301's. I checked the recall list and mine aren't on it...

Thanks!
Don
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #20

North Carolina
Okay guys, unable to contact the lady I bought the locks from, I came across this directly from the company.

Products

The 5th and 6th item down is a single and/or double lock cylinder for 301 keys. You'll have to order a blue key to pull out the old cylinder but hope that helps.

Mark