is it me or anyone else find it annoying to have so many different keys?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #1

North Carolina
is it me or anyone else find it annoying to have so many different keys??

So I picked up our new Voltage 3950 trailer. Can someone tell me the reason why I have to have 6 different keys to the same trailer??

Who's the rocket scientist that decided we couldn't rekey the locks and use the same keys for the SAME locks???

I've got a key for the underneath, a separate key for the front side door, rear side door, rear toy hauler door, the fuel pump and one other lock.

Guess I'll be calling a locksmith next week. I haven't figured out the logic behind this.

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
So I picked up our new Voltage 3950 trailer. Can someone tell me the reason why I have to have 6 different keys to the same trailer??

Who's the rocket scientist that decided we couldn't rekey the locks and use the same keys for the SAME locks???

I've got a key for the underneath, a separate key for the front side door, rear side door, rear toy hauler door, the fuel pump and one other lock.

Guess I'll be calling a locksmith next week. I haven't figured out the logic behind this.

Mark
Yeah. It pissed me off also.

The problem I see is some keys don't even go into other locks. So re-keying may not be an option without completely changing hardware.

I am so glad my unit has a key-less entry. I will still be making a spare door key and stashing it somewhere up under the trailer. I just found that the key-less entry starts beeping a fast loud beep when the batteries in the lock are low. At least it gives a warning.

Also, the key that should be different and is the same as every other RV out there is the CH751 key.

I leave most everything unlocked. My wife however locks everything up even when traveling down the highway. I will take her keys away one of these days.

Link....
RV Door and Storage Locks | ModMyRV

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Yeah. It pissed me off also.

The problem I see is some keys don't even go into other locks. So re-keying may not be an option without completely changing hardware.

I am so glad my unit has a key-less entry. I will still be making a spare door key and stashing it somewhere up under the trailer. I just found that the key-less entry starts beeping a fast loud beep when the batteries in the lock are low. At least it gives a warning.

Also, the key that should be different and is the same as every other RV out there is the CH751 key.

I leave most everything unlocked. My wife however locks everything up even when traveling down the highway. I will take her keys away one of these days.

Link....
RV Door and Storage Locks | ModMyRV

Yes, the 751 key is the same but it's only for the little stuff. The main locks on my trailer (all three, are identical locks so I should be able to rekey at least those three)

Drives me crazy…

Mark
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 AM   #4

Ontario
Is this what i have to look forward to when i pick up my Kodiak this spring. I thought 4 keys for my pop up was overkill. One of them didn't fit anything.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #5

Arizona
I'll check my locks again tomorrow. I would love to get the number of key down. I have a locksmith that lives a couple house down from me.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
Is this what i have to look forward to when i pick up my Kodiak this spring. I thought 4 keys for my pop up was overkill. One of them didn't fit anything.
I can't speak for the Kodiak but I think it's ridiculous they do that. I'm going to at very least rekey 3 of my locks and then I'll be down to 3 keys.

Mark
Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

Colorado
While it does not get rid of the multiple keys my son found a product that at least organizes them compactly. Keychain Reinvented | Keyport, Inc. He is getting one so he can have both his truck keys and house keys all on one. If I like it once he has it, I get one for myself and possible one for the trailer.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #8

New York
Have you check to see IF your locks may be eligible for replacement???

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...call-1172.html

http://www.fastecindustrial.com/reca...l%20letter.pdf

I had all my locks replaced with a like cylinder # - so we just need one key for the two locks on the two entrance doors and then the key for the outside storage bins...what is that a 751??? + the key for the garage rear door!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #9

Nevada
Quote:

Mark
Other lock might be the sliding door garage to galley.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #10

Indiana
I too had my entry doors and slam latches all keyed alike due to the recall. I now have two keys where there were 4. I have seen some replacement locks for the 751 that were combination locks with no key needed but cant seem to find them now. (I will look more after the holidays).

You can replace the cylinders yourself if your locks are affected by the recall noted higher on the page.

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Have you check to see IF your locks may be eligible for replacement???

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...call-1172.html

http://www.fastecindustrial.com/reca...l%20letter.pdf

I had all my locks replaced with a like cylinder # - so we just need one key for the two locks on the two entrance doors and then the key for the outside storage bins...what is that a 751??? + the key for the garage rear door!

751 is standard on 90% of all trailers for locks and toolboxes. Stuff like the lock that holds the gas pump uses a 751, the generator door lock, etc, etc…

Mark
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #12

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
While it does not get rid of the multiple keys my son found a product that at least organizes them compactly. Keychain Reinvented | Keyport, Inc. He is getting one so he can have both his truck keys and house keys all on one. If I like it once he has it, I get one for myself and possible one for the trailer.
Do you have more than two keys? I found that my entrance door key also opens the basement doors. I do have keys that fit my basement doors but will not open the front entrance door. I seldom use the actual basement keys. Kinda wish I had the keyless entry, though.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Do you have more than two keys? I found that my entrance door key also opens the basement doors. I do have keys that fit my basement doors but will not open the front entrance door. I seldom use the actual basement keys. Kinda wish I had the keyless entry, though.
I do, I have 3 keys and none of them are the same type key. One for the basement doors, one for the front storage and one for the entrance door. We have the keyless entry as well, but I don't trust it as sometimes you have to hold your mouth just right for it to open. I don't understand why the basement and front storage doors have to have different lock hardware.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:

Mark
OK....Thanks for brings this up. I hadn't thought of those keys in awhile. So after reading your post I contacted a locksmith. Now both entry doors and my ramp lock are keyed alike. Best $ I spent on her in awhile.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #15

Tennessee
Good idea, I think I'll re-key mine as well.

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
OK....Thanks for brings this up. I hadn't thought of those keys in awhile. So after reading your post I contacted a locksmith. Now both entry doors and my ramp lock are keyed alike. Best $ I spent on her in awhile.
Did you go to them or did they come to you?

Do you mind stating what this cost? I really like the idea of having the doors keyed the same. Right now, I have three different keys. One each for the main door, garage door and ramp.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
Did you go to them or did they come to you?

Do you mind stating what this cost? I really like the idea of having the doors keyed the same. Right now, I have three different keys. One each for the main door, garage door and ramp.
I don't know how much this will help you but, I was charged $30 for the work and the locksmith came to me. The locksmith is a neighbor that lives a couple of blocks over and she told me she did not charge me a service call.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:

Hmmmm, I'm not sure now. I had a locksmith come to me and tell me that the keys are a hammered rivet of some sort that they can't be rekeyed. He says he's tried them before.

Perhaps these are different??

I'd gladly pay someone to rekey them.

Mark
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #19

Indiana
Quote:
Hmmmm, I'm not sure now. I had a locksmith come to me and tell me that the keys are a hammered rivet of some sort that they can't be rekeyed. He says he's tried them before.

Perhaps these are different??

I'd gladly pay someone to rekey them.

Mark
Just like any industry............you have good locksmiths and not so good ones. Just to make sure I'd check with another locksmith and see what he has to say about rekeying.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
Just like any industry............you have good locksmiths and not so good ones. Just to make sure I'd check with another locksmith and see what he has to say about rekeying.
Well, after watching ya'lls video, I think I understand now. I think he wasn't thinking of changing out just the cylinder, I think he was thinking of taking out the whole assy.

After viewing the video, I'll see if I can just buy the cylinder part with the blue key.

Thanks,

Mark